MoiMoixxx
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ok well, nearly finished my A2 exams now and I can see myself doing fine in English and Media, however it is just Psychology that I know that I won't get the grade that I want in. I'm targeted at D which is really not much use too me and due to the way things have worked out it doesn't look like i'll be getting the C that I need.
I'm taking a gap year and am seriosuly thinking about doing an A Level in this gap year, i'm doing English Lit at uni. Has anybody got any suggestions that you think may look good on my UCAS? The subjects that have interested me expecially have been Classical Civilisations, or either R.E or history?
I'm also worried content wise as I don't want something that will have me too bogged down by work over the year as I need A or a B.

Advice would be well appreciated, thanks!! x
moonlit_streets
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Would that be self-taught? Because I would think that would impact a lot on what you take.

I think History would be a good bet, but if you're taking this to get into university, it would be worth (a) contacting the unis that you are interested in to make sure that this won't count against you and (b) doing a subject that will play to your strengths (which if you're doing english, I imagine history would)
marsalltheway
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by moonlit_streets)
Would that be self-taught? Because I would think that would impact a lot on what you take.

I think History would be a good bet, but if you're taking this to get into university, it would be worth (a) contacting the unis that you are interested in to make sure that this won't count against you and (b) doing a subject that will play to your strengths (which if you're doing english, I imagine history would)
totally right!! ensure you have contacted your offers to see if they will accept this subject in place of psycology. and beware as they will not receive your new subject grade next yr unless you inform them (and somtimes ucas too) unless youre reapplying.

historys the best bet in my opionion, ive heard classics is hard too, obv. goes well with eng lit as well. if you were planning on self teaching, get the textbook details etc from the teacher in your school before you leave! get any notes they mite be able to give you. check that you can come back to take the exam next year, and check if you'll have to pay hwo much etc.

you could also learn/take the exam in community college, you may have to pay a fee if you are no longer in full-time eductaion and over 18. or just invest in a good tutor to supplement your work, having them once a week all year (the internet actually has good tutors).
missmaclean
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How about taking a language? Lots of uni's look favourably on a language...not that its essential but it can help. And whilst learning the language you often learn about the history of the country.
Ed.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
OP what are you planning to do on your gap year ? Taking an extra A level will be a big time drain on your year. It will probably be much harder to learn independently that in class and will take dedication to do well.
Sianeh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
By saying you want to do another A Level, do you mean carrying on an AS you dropped or doing all 6 modules in the one year?

Obviously it'd be better to do something you enjoy, but for history for example there are options on the modules and at A Level there are no 'textbooks' as such, (well not for any of the 6 topics we've studied) We had lessons with our teachers who taught lecture style and we made notes and then just reading around the subject by reading different historians. Also I did a piece of coursework in each year which counted as a module (90 UMS), if you were self-teaching, would this be realistic as you'd have no feedback? 6 exams is a lot of content to learn.

And on results day if you phone up the Uni they may well still accept you with the D instead of the C..
Dragonfly07
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Doesn't look like you'll be getting a C?

Pur-lease.

You will, if you try hard enough. Even if your exam is tomorrow.

I know someone who was predicted all D's, and got straight A's!!

She ignored everyone's opinions about her and just worked hard. Everyone was stunned.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (94)
24.54%
No (289)
75.46%

Watched Threads