medicalsupernova
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey I'm in year 10 and I am going to go into year 11 in September. So I was wondering if you are in year 10 (year 11 sept 2019) are you revising over the summer?
What did you get in your mocks?
What would you like to get at the end of year 11?
And have you done any work experience?
Last edited by medicalsupernova; 2 months ago
sophiathesecond
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there, I am also going into Year 11, and I have a revision timetable which I've been following this summer (at least I've tried to) but I wouldn't stress over revising too much right now, as long as you revise throughout the year constantly.
At my school we do our mocks in Year 11 in November/December time, so I haven't done them yet, but based on my End of year 10 exams, these are my grades:
Chemistry - 6
Biology - 8
Physics - 7
English Lit - 7
English lang - 8
Maths - 7
RS - 9
Food Tech - 9
History - 9
German - 9

So they're not too bad, but Chemistry disappointed me and so did English (because I want to take it at A-Level) but I have a year to improve anyway.
At the end of year 11 I'd like to get the following:
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 8
Biology - 8
English Lit - 8
English Lang - 9
Maths - 7/8
RS- 9
Food Tech - 9
History - 9
German - 9

I mean ideally all 9s but that's way too optimistic!
Hope this has helped - if you have any more questions feel free to ask, can I ask what subjects you're taking?
AB2907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello! I'm also starting year 11 this September, and I've been revising over the summer lightly. By lightly, I mean going over topics I did in year 10 for maybe 1-2 hours a day, plus completing the homework booklets given to me by my teachers.

In my year 10 mocks, I got:
English Literature - 8
English Language - 9
History - 9
French - 7
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 7
Music BTEC - Distinction

They're good, but of course this is on the papers we've done so far, so I'm trying not to be too optimistic.

In my actual exams, I'd like:
English Literature - 8
English Language - 8 (English scares me)
History - 9
French - 7
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics- 9
Maths - 9
Music BTEC - Distinction*
Last edited by AB2907; 2 months ago
medicalsupernova
Rep:
?
(Original post by sophiathesecond)
Hi there, I am also going into Year 11, and I have a revision timetable which I've been following this summer (at least I've tried to) but I wouldn't stress over revising too much right now, as long as you revise throughout the year constantly.
At my school we do our mocks in Year 11 in November/December time, so I haven't done them yet, but based on my End of year 10 exams, these are my grades:
Chemistry - 6
Biology - 8
Physics - 7
English Lit - 7
English lang - 8
Maths - 7
RS - 9
Food Tech - 9
History - 9
German - 9

So they're not too bad, but Chemistry disappointed me and so did English (because I want to take it at A-Level) but I have a year to improve anyway.
At the end of year 11 I'd like to get the following:
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 8
Biology - 8
English Lit - 8
English Lang - 9
Maths - 7/8
RS- 9
Food Tech - 9
History - 9
German - 9

I mean ideally all 9s but that's way too optimistic!
Hope this has helped - if you have any more questions feel free to ask, can I ask what subjects you're taking?
Your results look amazing! Please can you share some tips on how to revise for RS thanks
My mock grades:
English:
- Language: 8
- Literature: 7
Maths: 8
Biology: 8
Business studies: 7
Chemistry: 9
Geography: 9
German: 5 (We do the foundation paper in year 10 and then we do the higher paper in year 11 for our mocks)
Physics: 9
R.S (Religious studies): 7
medicalsupernova
Rep:
?
(Original post by AB2907)
Hello! I'm also starting year 11 this September, and I've been revising over the summer lightly. By lightly, I mean going over topics I did in year 10 for maybe 1-2 hours a day, plus completing the homework booklets given to me by my teachers.

In my year 10 mocks, I got:
English Literature - 8
English Language - 9
History - 9
French - 7
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 7
Music BTEC - Distinction

They're good, but of course this is on the papers we've done so far, so I'm trying not to be too optimistic.

In my actual exams, I'd like:
English Literature - 8
English Language - 8 (English scares me)
History - 9
French - 7
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics- 9
Maths - 9
Music BTEC - Distinction*
Those grades are so good! How did you revise for english literature and language?
sophiathesecond
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by medicalsupernova)
Your results look amazing! Please can you share some tips on how to revise for RS thanks
My mock grades:
English:
- Language: 8
- Literature: 7
Maths: 8
Biology: 8
Business studies: 7
Chemistry: 9
Geography: 9
German: 5 (We do the foundation paper in year 10 and then we do the higher paper in year 11 for our mocks)
Physics: 9
R.S (Religious studies): 7
Aw thank you! My advice for RS would be Quizlet and mindmaps, I made Quizlet flashcards for all the key terminology and honestly once you've learned those words, it makes everything 10 times easier, I make mindmaps for each topic, I try to summarise each topic into a few mindmaps, I highlight key points etc, and then when it comes to the exams, I just look through the mindmaps at the key points. Also, learn quotes!! They'll help so much - use Quizlet for this.
Your grades are AMAZING! A 9 in Chemistry? could never be me!
AB2907
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by medicalsupernova)
Those grades are so good! How did you revise for english literature and language?
Thanks!
Mainly, for literature I watched Stacey Reay and Mr Bruff analysis videos on my texts, made notes on some key characters and themes.

Then, I asked my teacher for loads of exam questions, then I pick one at random and see how well I can answer it. Then, of course, I get it marked. If I do any particularly badly, for example lower than 25/34, then I redo the question.

For language, it's more about practice. I did a few practice papers, whilst also watching some of Mr Bruff's videos to learn a bit of exam technique and timings for the questions.
Emily~3695
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m starting year 11 in September as well 😊
Over summer I’m not planning on revising properly but I’m aiming to finish all of my year 10 notes by September so that I stay on top of them, as long as your revise throughout the year you should be fine not revising over summer,
In my year 10 mocks I got:
Biology:9
Chemistry:9
Physics:9
Maths:8
English language:9
English literature:7
French:9
DT: don’t know grade but I got 83/100 so 8/9
History: 9
By the end of year 11 I’m hoping for all 8s/9s
CasseroleKeith
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey,

I did my GCSEs in 2016 but just thought I'd give some advice. I really don't think there's any need to study over the summer. If you start too intensely too early you'll just burn out. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Obviously, from September you want to be doing work every day after school but make sure it isn't too intense and you're not doing too much too soon. You could aim to get an 1-2 hours done after school from September and increase it from December to no more than 3hr a night, allowing for at least one day off a week, ideally two.

I memorised the contents of my revision guides as much as possible for subjects where this was possible (sciences, geography, history, etc.: fact-based subjects) and made sure I went to all revision classes possible. My fave technique for memorising is to read something, then cover the text and try to rewrite it from memory. I'll read over what I've written and add what I missed in a different coloured ink. I keep rewriting until it's all in my mind. I was shocking at maths, the bottom of my class, but was ultimately able to exceed my target grade and get an A by going to the weekly extra maths classes offered at school, doing past paper questions all the time, going to teachers for help as I needed it and by using youtube videos to explain the topics I just couldn't grasp.

My grades were 7A*s and 3As. I don't understand the number scale, sorry lol.
medicalsupernova
Rep:
?
(Original post by sophiathesecond)
Aw thank you! My advice for RS would be Quizlet and mindmaps, I made Quizlet flashcards for all the key terminology and honestly once you've learned those words, it makes everything 10 times easier, I make mindmaps for each topic, I try to summarise each topic into a few mindmaps, I highlight key points etc, and then when it comes to the exams, I just look through the mindmaps at the key points. Also, learn quotes!! They'll help so much - use Quizlet for this.
Your grades are AMAZING! A 9 in Chemistry? could never be me!
Thanks
medicalsupernova
Rep:
?
(Original post by AB2907)
Thanks!
Mainly, for literature I watched Stacey Reay and Mr Bruff analysis videos on my texts, made notes on some key characters and themes.

Then, I asked my teacher for loads of exam questions, then I pick one at random and see how well I can answer it. Then, of course, I get it marked. If I do any particularly badly, for example lower than 25/34, then I redo the question.

For language, it's more about practice. I did a few practice papers, whilst also watching some of Mr Bruff's videos to learn a bit of exam technique and timings for the questions.
Thanks
medicalsupernova
Rep:
?
(Original post by CasseroleKeith)
Hey,

I did my GCSEs in 2016 but just thought I'd give some advice. I really don't think there's any need to study over the summer. If you start too intensely too early you'll just burn out. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Obviously, from September you want to be doing work every day after school but make sure it isn't too intense and you're not doing too much too soon. You could aim to get an 1-2 hours done after school from September and increase it from December to no more than 3hr a night, allowing for at least one day off a week, ideally two.

I memorised the contents of my revision guides as much as possible for subjects where this was possible (sciences, geography, history, etc.: fact-based subjects) and made sure I went to all revision classes possible. My fave technique for memorising is to read something, then cover the text and try to rewrite it from memory. I'll read over what I've written and add what I missed in a different coloured ink. I keep rewriting until it's all in my mind. I was shocking at maths, the bottom of my class, but was ultimately able to exceed my target grade and get an A by going to the weekly extra maths classes offered at school, doing past paper questions all the time, going to teachers for help as I needed it and by using youtube videos to explain the topics I just couldn't grasp.

My grades were 7A*s and 3As. I don't understand the number scale, sorry lol.
Thanks for the help
Your grades are so good, well done and congrats!
Shazington
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You see, I had planned to go and basically- memorise English Literature + Language (don't ask how). I don't believe I can do well in the actual GCSEs; I basically fluked the mocks as well, however, I have done absolutely nothing for anything over this summer break.

For my Y10 mocks, I received:
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
English Language - 9
English Literature - 7
Computer Science - A*
Geography - B (I basically died when it came to geography and purely disregard this grade.)
Mathematics - 9
French - 8:
Writing - 8
Listening - 8
Reading - 7
Speaking - 8

My GCSE "Anticipated Grades" (by my teachers) are:
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Computer Science - 9 (We switched from A* to 9-1 at the end of Y10)
English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
French - 7
Geography - A*
Mathematics - 9
Physics - 9

I wouldn't argue against any of these except for possibly French: I would be utterly disappointed if I didn't at least get an 8. Likewise, I wouldn't mind being hopeful and pushing for 9s in my languages (including English; something which I still believe I have no hope in)- if you can't tell- I'm being highly optimistic when it comes to this last statement.

As for work experience, it was an obligatory thing for our year group and took place for a duration of one week. I basically took a friend with me to my dad's workplace (a hospital).

Just a little add on: I do IGCSE CIE Computer Science and Geography; the rest are normal GCSE (all AQA with the exception of Math which is edexcel).
Last edited by Shazington; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.51%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (143)
38.86%
There's nothing they could do (108)
29.35%

Watched Threads

Latest