Civil Service fast stream- what work experience should i have? Watch

nottshistpol1821
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm going into second year at UoN this September and the dream is to get on to the (I know very competitive) civil service fast stream. I have bits of work experience in a parliamentary office, a PR firm etc, and experience leading business teams during Sixth Form but nothing significant or remotely impressive, and nothing that shows me as a leader or really to have many of the behaviours they're looking for.
Has anyone applied for/got on to the fast stream? What sort of work experience/internships/jobs should I be looking for to try to have a decent chance at getting to interview? Thanks!
Patagonia
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I go to Nottingham and did the Fast Stream Internship (SDIP). This is the best preparation for getting on the Fast Stream, but it has certain eligibility requirements.

Private sector experience is really valuable too. The Fast Stream are looking for how well you demonstrate 'Civil Service Behaviours'. These can be gained through lots of ways and the recruiters don't mind what sector you gained these in.

My advice is to try and secure a summer internship in a role that builds transferable skills that are related to these behaviours.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Patagonia; 1 week ago
nottshistpol1821
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Patagonia)
Hey, I go to Nottingham and did the Fast Stream Internship (SDIP). This is the best preparation for getting on the Fast Stream, but it has certain eligibility requirements.

Private sector experience is really valuable too. The Fast Stream are looking for how well you demonstrate 'Civil Service Behaviours'. These can be gained through lots of ways and the recruiters don't mind what sector you gained these in.

My advice is to try and secure a summer internship in a role that builds transferable skills that are related to these behaviours.
Hi, thanks so much! I did look into the two internship schemes but don't qualify for either of them. But thank you, summer private sector internships weren't really an option I'd thought about, so that's really helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%