metalmay
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm applying for the 2020 entry. Are there any unis that offer medicine with a somewhat lower minimum requirement and are relatively easier to get into , compared to others like Kings or UCL... ? I'm looking for a couple of safe unis to add as a backup plan..
Last edited by metalmay; 1 year ago
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by metalmay)
I'm applying for the 2020 entry. What are some of the good/ reputable universities for studying medicine in UK.( curriculum, teaching , etc wise) .
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

All med schools in the UK are considered equal
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm applying for the 2020 entry. What are some of the good/ reputable universities for studying medicine in UK.( curriculum, teaching , etc wise) .
There are no "better" or "worse" medical universities in the UK. Russell Group means nothing for medicine as most students do not do significant amounts of research during a medical degree. The GMC regulates all unis providing Medicine and no one cares where you graduated from after getting your medical degree. You don't get an advantage (at specialty training selection) having graduated from Oxbridge compared to Anglia Ruskin.

Therefore, choose according to the entry requirements (strategically according to your stats e.g. GCSE, UCAT scores), location (do I like that city?), learning styles (traditional vs PBL vs integrated) and other things (do I like small / big year groups? Is there a famous hospital for a specialty I wanted to work in?) etc. etc.

See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...etition-ratios the competition ratios - Brighton Sussex has a higher ratio than Cambridge.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All medical schools are reputable. Medicine is Medicine and you will get the same degree with the same career opportunities whichever uni you go to. I suggest you apply for medical schools that you have the best chance of getting into with your grades, experience etc and not the ones you think have the best reputation.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm applying for the 2020 entry. Are there any unis that offer medicine with a somewhat lower minimum requirement and are relatively easier to get into , compared to others like Kings or UCL... ? I'm looking for a couple of safe unis to add as a backup plan..
OK, so you have completely altered the content of your post when it has already been quoted twice??

All med schools in the UK have minimum requirements of AAA except Kent and Canterbury, who may offer AAB. What are you meaning by "easier to get into"? Cambridge, Imperial and Barts have some of the lowest competition ratios of applicants to places, though they require A*A*A and A*AA entry grades. Aberdeen, Dundee, UCLan, Bristol have the highest competition ratios but only ask for AAA, so it depends what you feel makes it easier to get into. We would say that depends on your stats, as it what is easy for someone with a UCAT of 2800 is impossible for one with a score of 2500, or a pretty guaranteed interview with 9 A* GCSEs will be an instant rejection for somebody with none.
There are absolutely no safe unis in terms of being offered a place, as this will depend upon interview performance
University of Aberdeen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello all,
How are you all today?
You might have already seen the information on the Aberdeen website for Medicine. There are other routes into medicine. I have had a look on The School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition website. There is a Gateway2Medicine programme which is for secondary school pupils from Scotland. If you fit this criteria this may help you gain entry. I have also had a look at the Medicine (MBChB) entry requirements and there is a section about non-academic requirements. Good luck, wherever you go!
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by University of Aberdeen)
Hello all,
How are you all today?
You might have already seen the information on the Aberdeen website for Medicine. There are other routes into medicine. I have had a look on The School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition website. There is a Gateway2Medicine programme which is for secondary school pupils from Scotland. If you fit this criteria this may help you gain entry. I have also had a look at the Medicine (MBChB) entry requirements and there is a section about non-academic requirements. Good luck, wherever you go!
Being from Scotland is not the only entrance criteria for Aberdeen's Gateway Course. As all gateway courses, it is a widening access scheme, so you have to meet strict WA flags as well
StudentRep Medway
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,
As GANFYD has said, the new Kent and Medway Medical School (which opens in 2020 funnily enough) has entry requirements of AAB on their website currently, just as long as you have 2 maths or science A-levels. If you're interested in their course at all or what the new medical school is like I'll leave a link to the website down below. Good luck with your applications
https://kmms.canterbury.ac.uk/kent-a...al-school.aspx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (136)
14.36%
I'm not sure (42)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (285)
30.1%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.53%
I'm not a current university student (460)
48.57%

Watched Threads