taking out insurance for uni? Watch

atoms4peace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I was thinking about this today, i'm gonna be taking quite a bit of expensive stuff to uni; laptop, camera, watch, jewelry telly etc and i dont really know about how secure halls are so would it be a good idea to take out some insurance?

have you done this? where did you get it from? how much etc?
Bebbs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i had insurance included in my rent it covered all I had. My parents home insurance also covered first year accomodation.

Endsleigh are the big provider
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
check if your halls already have insurance for these things, many do
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You don't have to cover everything but its best to cover what you think is the most valuable. I did things like my iPod, laptop, some music, mobile, camera, clothes/shoes, course equipment and books. I might not do so much next year as it cost me £300. I went with Endsleigh.
Ed.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
*Makes mental note to rob Atomsforpeace*

I'll hopefully be going to UCL also, I will enjoy robbing you :ninja:

Insurance maybe a good idea, I hadn't thought of it before to be honest.
Crissi
Report 11 years ago
My boyfriend had his laptop stolen, if it wasn't for insurance (he's with Endsleigh) he would have been screwed, especially since it was a gift...
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Forgot to mention...
Some of the insurance that your parents might have covers it, but it will only cover your stuff if they find evidence of a break in. Endsleigh cover you even if someone has walked in and nicked something.
mtbab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
our halls were all covered by endsleigh, was included alreayd, you might wanna check if yours are.
lolimemma
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by hannah_dru)
You don't have to cover everything but its best to cover what you think is the most valuable. I did things like my iPod, laptop, some music, mobile, camera, clothes/shoes, course equipment and books. I might not do so much next year as it cost me £300. I went with Endsleigh.
Christ that's expensive... I'm pretty sure I got all my stuff covered for about £7 per month...
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by hannah_dru)
Forgot to mention...
Some of the insurance that your parents might have covers it, but it will only cover your stuff if they find evidence of a break in. Endsleigh cover you even if someone has walked in and nicked something.
:ditto:

And, it is a shame to say it, but most student burglaries are as a result of someone leaving a door open, a window open, or holding the door open for some randomer. None of the burglaries at my last block were as a result of force, all were simply by carelessness and, in many cases, this is not covered by your parents insurance. Plus, many halls don't have insurance for the belongings of their tenants, why would they? Your belongings are your responsibility.

Plus, most insurance policies only cover belongings in private/personal areas, stuff in communal areas is not normally covered either.

Check up on it, but it is well worth getting your own insurance, i can't remember if i'm with E, but i am covered in the event that someone leaves a door or window open, allowing someone to gain entry to the property (which with the ignorance and carelessness of one of my house mates is well worth the money).

They did a survey of students and found that many took assets/belongings to uni with a value of in excess of a couple of grand (laptops, phones, ipods, hifis, cameras, dvds, cds, tvs, dvd players, clothes, books, etc).
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lolimemma)
Christ that's expensive... I'm pretty sure I got all my stuff covered for about £7 per month...
It depends on how much you're insuring, where you are, security, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.17%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.55%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.88%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.44%
There's nothing they could do (71)
29.96%

Watched Threads