The Student Room Group

Graphic Products - Edexcel - 19th June - GCSE

is anyone else doing the graphic products exam on thursday?
what things are you revising? know any good revision sites?
Reply 1
You should try past papers, can't find any good revision sites.
Reply 2
I'm taking it aswell. Hopefully, it will be as easy as my mock paper and won't require anything more than me colouring in a few graphs and measuring some lines.
Reply 3
Yeah I'm taking it, though I only got 1 past paper and it's pure logic. Got 87% without revising. It will help you if you did business studies...

My school's DT department is cr*p and we haven't done any theory at all. They also gave us a super-fake mock exam:
it took 2 hours and the questions on it were completely different from the ONE past paper on the Edexcel site. If anyone could upload some more past papers that would be great...

There are some stuff that I had no idea about though, like screen-printing, picture registration, etc... If your first language is not English, like me, it would help if you had a translator in the exam because it could give you a sense of what are some names or even processes like the two above. They ask a lot about advantages and disadvantages caused by firms using this or this type of material, process, or things like "why did they paint the battery case red?" - easy.

In the past paper I found on the Edexcel site there were only 4 questions, 1 hour and 30 minutes. Managed to do it in much less... One question requires you to draw ideas and annotate them, given a specification, and then evaluate them. I can only imagine that it is like this for other papers...

As for colouring:
"Coloured pens, penciles (coloured, that is) and highlighter pens must not be used." - so I don't think it's like your mock... Then again, it's nothing like my mock as well...

Anyhow, I know some very, very.. um... How do I put this? non-academic students who were very artistic but knew no theory at all - they did very well on the course-work but poorly on the exam, and still managed to get A/A*... So it must be easy...

You will need to know some materials like acrylic, MDF, processes like vacuum forming, what plastics to use in these kind of processes, etc...
Go to the BBC Schools Design & Technology Bitesize - it's the best it gets, unfortunately... But it WILL help you... The stuff is really simple and mostly common sense. You can cover the whole thing in 1-2 days, that is 4 hour tops... Then go over it on the third day...

I really do hope it will be as easy as I think it is... Though experience tells us that this year Edexcel decided to be @#$@# and write difficult past papers... Well, I dunno.. The most we can do is go to the GCSE Bitesize, I guess...

Am I right assuming that your DT department taught you no theory at all, AS WELL?
Reply 4
yeah thanks for the advice

one other question: if you have to give a specification point for a box, what would a specification point be about the 'form' of it?

i understand when it asks you to give a specification point about the function, the user requirement, environment etc.

any help would be much appreciated
Reply 5
Hmm... Well I guess it must protect the product well, easy to open, easy to transport, etc, etc...

I'd also suggest revising printing methods :smile: There prolly will be 1 or 2 questions about it...
Reply 6
so how did everyone find it?
Reply 7
Original post by jkkk32
so how did everyone find it?

I found it kind of hard. my drawings were absolutely crap and for the bluetooth question i wrote its more prone to bluebugging and stuff lol i just guessed hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending