Botticello
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If I dont get anymore points from Enb1, I need 135 ums to get an A! (I got very high coursework)
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ADhatt)
hmm true say. i've been looking at past papers and the only texts which seem to come up for language change are those from around 1500 onwards i seem to find. Kind of awkward seeming as we have to revise all the influences from norman invasion, vikings, anglo saxons etc which i dont see how I can link in to the answers lol
I'm not revising all the stuff from those early periods, because I don't see the point Really, all you want is the dates about the dictionary/printing press and the semantic change terms and things, so that you can make comments about how language isn't standardised blah blah blah. It seems more important to talk about context and society than whether a word was introduced by the Romans, to be honest :p:
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RosiePosiePuddingAndPie)
I'm not revising all the stuff from those early periods, because I don't see the point
Nah, I'm not revising the really early stuff either. As long as you know what happened its alright as its not like you are going to have to go into great detail or anything.
Kolo Toure
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ok i need a high E to get a B.

By the way can anyone explain a few of these

Multi-Syllable words simplified to reduplicated syllables
-Simplification
-Addition
-Deletion
-Assimilation
-Substitution
Kolo Toure
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yo please reply. I need answers and need them NOW.

Also whats a constant cluster.

People cooperate!
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've not heard of any of those
Kolo Toure
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yo me gunna bust a cap in your ass.

Me seriously need answers please. Me gunna give you cookie.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nope, I have no idea what they are either...
Kolo Toure
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yo me very sad. Me feel bullyed. Me know people know answers and people no give me answer. Me look down on myself. Me pity myself for not knowing. Me feel sad and oppressed. Me feel like molestered.

Please me need help.
Blondie Lisa
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kolo Toure)

-Simplification
-Addition
-Deletion
-Assimilation
-Substitution

Deletion - final consonants may be dropped e.g. 'ha' instead of hat. Also unstressed syllables are often deleted, e.g. 'nana' instead of banana.

Substitution - children will substitute easier sounds for those they find difficult: 'r' becomes 'w' (rock, story) 'th' becomes 'd' 'n' 'f' (there that thumb) 't' becomes 'd' (toe), 'p' becomes 'b' (pig).

I got them from a sheet given to me by my teacher, not sure about the others, although common sense tells me addition is probably the opposite of deletion lol
jkatherine
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
WHAT are THE QUESTIONS FOR THIS EXAM? I CANT FIND ANY PAST PAPERS! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE QUESTION FORMAT IS!!!!!! DO WE ANSWER 1 OR 2 ETC!
Blondie Lisa
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jkatherine)
WHAT are THE QUESTIONS FOR THIS EXAM? I CANT FIND ANY PAST PAPERS! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE QUESTION FORMAT IS!!!!!! DO WE ANSWER 1 OR 2 ETC!

go on the aqa website http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/englab_assess.php
theres a few page papers on there
Spinal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Our teachers wont tell us how we did in our coursework (they didn't last year either). I have no idea how well I have to do in order to get at least a B overall.

Nevertheless, gonna pull out all of the strings for this last exam. Aiming for an A.
Spinal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I suggest that you have a look at the specification:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...06-W-SP-08.PDF

You can look through past papers here:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/englab_assess.php

Try not to write in all capital letters or use exclamation marks in place of question marks in the exam though! :eek:
Spinal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kolo Toure)

-Simplification
-Addition
-Deletion
-Assimilation
-Substitution
Assimilation: This takes place when the pronunciation of a phoneme is affected by the phoneme that is next to it.
e.g. The way most people pronounce the word 'sandwich' as 'samwich' is an example. Here there is an omission of the letter 'd' and an assimilation where the 'n' changes to an 'm' because the 'w' that comes after it makes an 'm' sound easier to produce.

No idea about simplification or addition (the two that haven't been answered).
Kolo Toure
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Blondie Lisa)
Deletion - final consonants may be dropped e.g. 'ha' instead of hat. Also unstressed syllables are often deleted, e.g. 'nana' instead of banana.

Substitution - children will substitute easier sounds for those they find difficult: 'r' becomes 'w' (rock, story) 'th' becomes 'd' 'n' 'f' (there that thumb) 't' becomes 'd' (toe), 'p' becomes 'b' (pig).

I got them from a sheet given to me by my teacher, not sure about the others, although common sense tells me addition is probably the opposite of deletion lol
Thanks for the help!
*anon*
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hey ive got this on thurs too, not managed to do much revision though yet!
gonna do a whole day tomorrow though so hopefully il get it learnt. i can remember parts from class so maybe it wont be too bad
HollyMG
Report 11 years ago
Hey, I've just been doing exactly that. Found two..

- http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/englab_assess.php

That should be it..
not all of the years have the Language Change one, only two do I think (that's all I could find) and some of the texts have been removed for copyright purposes which kinda sucks.
Hope that helped.

Does anyone know where I could find more information on some terminology?
I did have a long list but obviously, being me, I've gone and lost it. I know stuff like borrowing, broadening, narrowing, amelioration, pejuration, archaic lang, umm.. think that's all i can remember.
Same for language acquisition, what else is there other than over-generalisation and over-extension?

Would be great getting some help with them =)
HollyMG
Report 11 years ago
Yeh that's exactly the same as me.
I've had too many bigger exams like philosophy and ethics that needed proper revision, aswell as the exam we had earlier. So tonight, tomorrow and thursday morning is gonna be completely packed with revision.
Charliewantstogotouni!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mollymustard)
Nope, I have no idea what they are either...
This is completely unrelated im sorry - but how do you change the colour of you name? Your grey colour looks really cool

SORRY - to get back to english. this exam has always been the one that ive been most worried about.

I get the feeling a lot of it is pointing out the obvious though and explaining it.
but there is so much VOCAB to learn ARGH. and those flipping theorists. DULL.

Ive got a long heavily essayed music exam on thurs morning as well so my hand is gonna ache big time. and i will not be in the mood for bloody language change and aqu. :mad:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads