Kolo Toure
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ADhatt)
When we mean "Standardized" , what these dictionaries, printing press, and other innovations taught us were forms of prescriptivism. A way of telling us what to do, and not how it is supposed to be done. In all fairness, who actually has the right to make the rules of English up? Its totally up to us, and because these dictionaries were so popular, as too with the printing press, its for this reason which was the root cause of "Standardization".
*Writes sophiesticated word on arm"
Kolo Toure
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by QI Elf)
Can anyone tell me what impact the King James Bible had on language change and when was it published etc?

Thanks xxx
Basically when the bible was in latin it could only be read by the educated and the priests. Therefore the religous had general control over the public as they only knew English. So they could basically lie about anything and get the people to do things.

When the bible was translated in English ie Kings James bible, it was avaliable to the wider society so now people could interpret the bible how they wanted so they where not blindly lead.

I dont have a clue how to include this in when investigating the data though. Mabe you could talk about standardisation etc.
Gooner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Grrr...I'm crapping for tomorrow. I need an A to meet my offer, and should I not get a B in tomorrow's exam, then I'm screwed:afraid: I'm not presuming I'm going to do better in my ENB5 resit, so I neeeed to do well!

I've just tried the June 2005 paper, question 3, and was somewhat confused by the question. Would I only gain marks through reference to word formation and whatnot in relation to the word "spam" from the texts or would I be able to bring in other words which have different types of word formation etc.?
XII
Report 11 years ago
I think I did well on ENB5 thankfully, but you never know I guess. I think i'm just going to concentrate on spoken language for acquisition. Anyone got any helpful notes for this?

Language change is going to be hard.
Emzipoo
Report 11 years ago
Same as you im focusing on spoken language for acquisition..totally frazzed if a reading and a writing task come up..

Langage change im bit more nervous about..reeeeaalllyyy hope they give us at least one Middle English text possibly to be compared with a modern.
My English teacher kindly informed us before we stood down that Beowulf(sp?) might come up due to the film being recently released..oh how id cry..
Clefeen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't find writing that bad. Sometimes it can be really interesting.
Singh42
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Emzipoo)
Same as you im focusing on spoken language for acquisition..totally frazzed if a reading and a writing task come up..

Langage change im bit more nervous about..reeeeaalllyyy hope they give us at least one Middle English text possibly to be compared with a modern.
My English teacher kindly informed us before we stood down that Beowulf(sp?) might come up due to the film being recently released..oh how id cry..
No chance that beowulf would come up!! *Touch Wood*
princess_lauren89
Report 11 years ago
i dont think beowulf would come up, they used it as an editorial booklet a while ago..

we've been told that using theorists doesn't neccessarily get you and extra marks, and my friend read in an examiners report that they don't like it if you use theorists unneccessarily too much, so I'm just making sure I know all the stages and stuff, and praying a speech question comes up!
lauramay03
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PippaLove)
Are you kidding! I've done ALOT of revision...
Old english through to late modern english, development and features of each period, reasons for change, framework features to pick out...
and for acquisition...
I've learned loads of thories in the four areas... inateness, social interactive etc. What to expect of children of certain ages, again framework features to pick out...
and loads more. I've filled a folder with notes.
This isn't me showing off. It's just that in my eyes there is ALOT to learn
Perhaps I have a rubbish memory.
wow care to share.... i have loads of notes but most are just crap.
language acq im just going to drill the theories and specific features

its language change which im not prepared for.... other than dictionary dates what will get marks??

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
notes/revision techniques ...anything please caring sharing people
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ManxKirsty)
Look at the date that the source is created in, and then when you are talking about the context say 'this is (before/after) the date the dictionary was created so language use and spelling is general is likely to be (less/more) standardised. Or something like that....
Thank you

I've been revising for this all night yet nothing's going in lol I've looked at past papers though and got a general idea of the child development questions and managed to kinda create an intro I could use.

I'm praying for decent texts!
wazza07
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why am I not nervous about this exam.
I got an A in my mock - however I think my teacher marked it too high. I've looked at some past papers and they don't look to horrible.
I'm praying for a transcript between a parent and child. You can sooooo crap your way through them!
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm much more confident with the child language questions. It's the language development I'm not so confident with
wazza07
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Belle-x)
I'm much more confident with the child language questions. It's the language development I'm not so confident with
Just link it to context as much as you can.
Charliewantstogotouni!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ARGH -- this is my last exam, got nasty hard music in the morning so my hand is gonna ache like hell.

OH -
but then its all over.
flippin heck.
Singh42
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How would anyone go about writing an actual answer though? Like would you follow a certain order in terms of things to talk about? Or simply bullet point notes in a mini plan and then expand on them in no particular order in your essay?
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm really confused about the structure of the paper, after only been given weird halves of practice questions here and there.

We have two questions to choose between on each topic don't we?
And do we just do the one in each hour?
Charliewantstogotouni!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mollymustard)
I'm really confused about the structure of the paper, after only been given weird halves of practice questions here and there.

We have two questions to choose between on each topic don't we?
And do we just do the one in each hour?

yeah, one question on lang change (hour)
one question on lang aqu, (hour)

DONE
x_claire_louise_x
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wazza07)
I've been revising for this exam for a whole..........2 hours.
I find no matter how much theory you learn, you'll probably end up using like 2% of it. I'm not focusing to much on the theory as clearly it's a data based exam - as long as you have a basic understanding I think you can blag your way through this. I
The framework I can deal with, because I've done a few in class. Once you've got that down, you are so right, it is easy to blag. As long as you can answer the question in the way they want.

I totally agree with you.
You're ahead of me btw! Hahah, I've done a half hour so far.
One more half hour, and it's sleep for me.

In all, I will probably do about three - four hours.

There's just nothing to learn when you have a few theories you can learn, I can manipulate them into almost any text. Rest is common sense.

Trust me people, this works. Done this for ALL my English exams, and even if I don't show up tomorrow, I'm on a high B. If I get a good 'U' grade tomorrow, possibly a terrible 'E' to be on the safe side, I have an A.

xxx
Kolo Toure
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What effect does standisation have on language? and What about the printing press too?
Archibald246
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You know it usually gives you 4 bullet points (well sometimes) and says comment on some of the following... How many will you do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.49%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.39%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.18%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.01%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.92%

Watched Threads