Clefeen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by afc1886)
Him saying 'I am a beelbarrow' was an analysis point. He simplified the 'w' sound br substituting it for a 'b' sound. This is common amongst children when they cannot correctly pronounce a phoneme, more common is the substitution of 'w' for 'r' blah blah blah

You could also talk about care-giver speech there by saying about how the mum positively reinforces James by not disagreeing but rather just saying the correct pronounciation

Yay! I included that about the phoneme and substitution (simplification). At least I used some terminology for once.

Did anyone notice any of Halliday's functions? I noticed two I think.
Clefeen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by emansell1)
I completely ignored the context of Molly watching the TV. In fact I only just found out now that she was watching TV :| Will I lose lots of marks for that? I wrote about other contextual situations such as playing in a playhouse would distract the children...

Also I said the first utterances went against Skinner as Skinner demonstrated imitation and the child was unable to imitate the exact sounds of the mother but it demonstrated substitution as the child could pronounce plosive sounds such as "b"...

I seem to have written different things to others which can't be a good sign! Although I did do question one and four which appears to be the most popular questions. I think I did better on child language than language change... x
Yes I believe it did go against Skinner's Behaviourist idea. I hope so anyway.
emansell1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Clefeen)
Yay! I included that about the phoneme and substitution (simplification). At least I used some terminology for once.

Phewww I'm glad I got the Skinner right then!! I used the Regulatory Funtion (Halliday) but wasn't sure whether it was the right one. :| I mentioned heuristic in general but not specific to anything sooo that was irrelevant in my essay I think. Which ones did you use? x
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I used the regulatory function too but that's the only one I mentioned :\
afc1886
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think I mentioned the heuristic function very briefly, I barely got any theorists in there at all! Didn't mention Skinner at all lol, ah well its only a portion of the marks, hopefully my analysis will be sound
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I mentioned Skinner and Chomsky..Hmm, hope I was okay lol
meercatman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I mentioned Skinner, Chomsky and Piaget I think...

Its very hard to tell how well these exams have gone though...
CM91623
Report 11 years ago
Yeah. I mentioned Skinner because James repeated exactly what his mother had said in text B, something like 'it got wet'. And Piaget, I said something about how James learnt to speak properly through trial and error with the assistance of caretaker speech; where at first he said 'dower' but after his father and molly said it properly, he was then able to say it correctly.
Gooner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by emansell1)
I completely ignored the context of Molly watching the TV. In fact I only just found out now that she was watching TV :| Will I lose lots of marks for that? I wrote about other contextual situations such as playing in a playhouse would distract the children...

Also I said the first utterances went against Skinner as Skinner demonstrated imitation and the child was unable to imitate the exact sounds of the mother but it demonstrated substitution as the child could pronounce plosive sounds such as "b"...

I seem to have written different things to others which can't be a good sign! Although I did do question one and four which appears to be the most popular questions. I think I did better on child language than language change... x
I think you had to mention the fact that in text A, the children were watching the TV. The fact they were in the playhouse means very little, because in text B they were in the playhouse, but the TV was turned off, which resulted in a more active role being played by Molly and Charlotte.
Gooner
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

I think I mentioned something about heuristics somewhere in one of the transcripts. I used John Dore's theory too!
Clefeen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Gooner)
I think I mentioned something about heuristics somewhere in one of the transcripts. I used John Dore's theory too!
Very good!
Jamie119
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lizzybiz)
Hi, Hope everyone did good in their exam!!!

I did question 1 and 4 like a lot of people did. I thought that question 1 was a good text cos lots to write about James' language and also about CDS.

I thought that beelbarrow was either James being unable to articulate the 'Wh' sound or that it was the fis phenomenon, where the child thinks they are saying it the same as their parent. Did anyone else think that?????????????

Oh I also put that when his mum corrected him but didn't actually say he was wrong, that she was recasting it.

I normally forgot about theory in mocks but I actually used Skinner, Bruner, Chomsky and someone else... :O shocker for me!

xxx
It's the fis phenomenon, or at least I'm pretty sure it is. When his mother corrected him, he said 'Yes, a beelbarrow'.

I'm reading through this thread and thinking I've mentioned all that's been said, so hopefully I've done well.
kerry595
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
did anyone do question 2?!
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did 1 and 4

At first, with the transcript, I started feature spotting James' speech, and looking at all the things he was doing, but then I reread the question after a couple of minutes and realised I needed to do the assertion thing!

I mentioned Halliday's imaginative function, in relation to that 'I'm a beelbarrow' thing. That's the only function I could remember though :p:

I wasn't too keen on either of the language change ones, but I prefer having older texts. I got really confused by "impraticable" - I was trying to explain that it had been shortened slightly, and so replaced by "impractical", but I couldn't for the life of me remember how to spell impractical. So on the back page of my answer booklet it says "impracticle impractical impracticel inpractical inpractible..." I got there in the end though :p:
Lizzybiz
Report 11 years ago
Hiya,

Does anyone know how you work out the UMS mark to the raw mark.

If I need 93 UMS marks out of 120 (a high B) for an A overall, how many marks do I need to get out of 70????

Thanks
xxx
Gooner
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lizzybiz)
Hiya,

Does anyone know how you work out the UMS mark to the raw mark.

If I need 93 UMS marks out of 120 (a high B) for an A overall, how many marks do I need to get out of 70????

Thanks
xxx
It's difficult to say. The exam board will change the grade boundaries every year, depending on how difficult the paper was. Roughly, I'd say you need around 46 marks altogether though
Lizzybiz
Report 11 years ago
Ooo thanks... just have to wait and see on results day now.

xxx
Clefeen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How did everything think they did in ENB6 then?
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How did everything think they did in ENB6 then?
As in grade wise?

I think I probably got a C. I only needed a D or E in that paper to get an A though, so hopefully I'm still on track.
Lupie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nowhere near as well as I have done on practice papers. But I only needed 60 UMS which is around a D I think. So I'm really hoping I got that! (balance out my appalling performance in my other exams anyway...)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads