The Student Room Group

I can't find the uni course I'm looking for, help!

Does anyone know the exact name of the university course I'd need to apply to, to become a surgical technologist (also known as an operating room assistant or surgical tech) everytime I research it, literally 0 courses for universities come up.

The only one I've found is a Surgical Technology course and I'm not sure if that's correct, and that course is online, and it's an American website... I'm really stuck and feel like I'm just going aorund in circles. All the unis I've looked at for Wales and some in the UK don't seem to have courses for Surgical Technologists, but I'm also not 100% of the actual name of the course id need to pursue in the first place...

ANY help would be vastly appreciated, thank you.
Original post by choc-chipwookie
Does anyone know the exact name of the university course I'd need to apply to, to become a surgical technologist (also known as an operating room assistant or surgical tech) everytime I research it, literally 0 courses for universities come up.

The only one I've found is a Surgical Technology course and I'm not sure if that's correct, and that course is online, and it's an American website... I'm really stuck and feel like I'm just going aorund in circles. All the unis I've looked at for Wales and some in the UK don't seem to have courses for Surgical Technologists, but I'm also not 100% of the actual name of the course id need to pursue in the first place...

ANY help would be vastly appreciated, thank you.

ODP possibly
ODP is very different to a surgical technologist, but thank you for replying ☺️
ODP is very different to a surgical technologist, but thank you for replying ☺️

What's the exact job role?
Surgical Technologist, but there are many other names that the role goes by, like operating room technician, surgical technician, scrub or scrub tech. I just can't seem to find the right course for it. My aim is to become a Surgical First Assistant, but I would need to become a Surgical Technologist first and work for several years before progressing onto a Surgical First Assistant career.
I don't think that is really a role that exists in the UK. Claire is right in that ODP is the most surgically/theatre focussed AHP degree role but there isn't a huge scope for them becoming first assistants.
I've done some meow research and seen that they offer Surgical First Assistant courses in Plymouth University, so I think it is an available job role in the UK. Just a tad confused as earlier I'd read that you'd need to be a surgical tech for several years before pursuing surgical first assistant roles? But Plymouth offer a uni course. I'm stipp researching and trying to wrap my head around how it all works, but it's hard when most sites are American 🤦*♀️
So apparently, I'll have to become an ODP first, gain experience from that job role, then I can apply to do a surgical first assistants course at university.
I've done some meow research and seen that they offer Surgical First Assistant courses in Plymouth University, so I think it is an available job role in the UK. Just a tad confused as earlier I'd read that you'd need to be a surgical tech for several years before pursuing surgical first assistant roles? But Plymouth offer a uni course. I'm stipp researching and trying to wrap my head around how it all works, but it's hard when most sites are American 🤦*♀️

Yes, because it isn't a role here.

So apparently, I'll have to become an ODP first, gain experience from that job role, then I can apply to do a surgical first assistants course at university.

Make sure that being an ODP actually interests you though. If would take a very long time before you could be a 1st assistant (if the trust you work for actually employs ODPs for this role, I don't think it is hugely common)
ODP genuinely does interest me. I've looking at what they do for months and where ODP opportunities are available in the UK, I wouldn't just want to go into something doe the sake of one day being a Surgical First Assistant, it's just a long term plan I want to work towards. ODP is studying for 3 years, which is fine by me and then getting experience under your belt for about 2 years then progressing onto Surgical First Assistant courses. It's not a decision I have just decided to make overnight. I've done research and happy with putting years of studies and dedication into working towards and being an ODP and then progressing when I can, no matter how long it takes 😊

Quick Reply

Latest