Pathways into finance Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I would appreciate some informed opinions regarding this matter. I am currently a mechanical engineering student (about to start second year), I still have not decided what I would like to pursue after university but I wish to give it some thought early on. Is it possible for me to graduate with an engineering degree and go into finance should I decide to pursue finance upon completion of my degree? Are there any caveats in doing so or things I should be aware of beforehand?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is it possible for me to graduate with an engineering degree and go into finance should I decide to pursue finance upon completion of my degree?
Yes.

Try and get some finance experience for next summer. Apply for internships when applications open (I think Goldman Sachs and JPMC have opened theirs already?)
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I would appreciate some informed opinions regarding this matter. I am currently a mechanical engineering student (about to start second year), I still have not decided what I would like to pursue after university but I wish to give it some thought early on. Is it possible for me to graduate with an engineering degree and go into finance should I decide to pursue finance upon completion of my degree? Are there any caveats in doing so or things I should be aware of beforehand?
Hey! This is definitely a thought I feel a lot of us Mechanical Engineering students have
I am about to start my third year and am having to think a lot about my career. I have had some discussions with my tutor and he has said that quite a lot of engineering students end up in finance so don't feel like you're studying the wrong degree
The advice that was given to me when I hinted at a potential interest in finance was to see if you can get any experience in it, so maybe like a holiday internship or some work experience so you can get a feel for what it is like!
Having a degree in engineering can open up so many doorways once you've graduated so just make sure you get all the experience you can so you can make the best informed decision you for yourself!

Wishing you the best of luck in your second year and hope this was helpful!
~ Amy :rave:
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences)
Hey! This is definitely a thought I feel a lot of us Mechanical Engineering students have
I am about to start my third year and am having to think a lot about my career. I have had some discussions with my tutor and he has said that quite a lot of engineering students end up in finance so don't feel like you're studying the wrong degree
The advice that was given to me when I hinted at a potential interest in finance was to see if you can get any experience in it, so maybe like a holiday internship or some work experience so you can get a feel for what it is like!
Having a degree in engineering can open up so many doorways once you've graduated so just make sure you get all the experience you can so you can make the best informed decision you for yourself!

Wishing you the best of luck in your second year and hope this was helpful!
~ Amy :rave:
Thanks for the heads up, it was definitely helpful! Have you got much experience in finance yet? Are internships really competitive? Would you give me any other advice?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%