The Student Room Group

GCSES for law

I am currently 12 years old, since I was about eight I have wanted to be a lawyer, I’ve just felt like I’ve had a strong passion for studying law. I understand the amount of hard work needed to be put into studying law etc but I don’t just want to do the subjects like business studies history and those sort of subjects, I want to enjoy the next of my high school years rather than just doing the subjects that are full of hard work. I love music, drama and physical education although I only get to pick three GCSEs! I wish I could pick so many more but I just feel like I actually want to have some fun in high school but I also want to be successful, people say that the fun is after school ends but I think everyone should have the rights to have fun in high school. I just need some help deciding subjects to choose for my GCSES, not just the boring subjects, preferably one of the subjects I love, like the ones I previously said

Yeah 👍
Original post by Ava Lewis
I am currently 12 years old, since I was about eight I have wanted to be a lawyer, I’ve just felt like I’ve had a strong passion for studying law. I understand the amount of hard work needed to be put into studying law etc but I don’t just want to do the subjects like business studies history and those sort of subjects, I want to enjoy the next of my high school years rather than just doing the subjects that are full of hard work. I love music, drama and physical education although I only get to pick three GCSEs! I wish I could pick so many more but I just feel like I actually want to have some fun in high school but I also want to be successful, people say that the fun is after school ends but I think everyone should have the rights to have fun in high school. I just need some help deciding subjects to choose for my GCSES, not just the boring subjects, preferably one of the subjects I love, like the ones I previously said

Yeah 👍

I'm guessing you are in year 7/8. I would advise against taking PE as a subject as it isn't a valued or respected gcse but other than that, it doesn't really matter what gcses you do. A levels are far more significant when it comes to law so my advice is to not worry, do a bit of work here and there and enjoy yourself. You have a lot of time left before you need to stress about education.

Yeah 👍

Just get a 6+ in English and Maths.
Then get 6+ in any subject you intend to take at A level.
You can afford at least one fun GCSE.
Then get as many A grades as possible but it doesnt really matter when compared to A level.
History is quite a good GCSE, but do the subjects you enjoy and can get good grades in subject to above.

Sorry 12.... I really wouldnt worry just find the subjects you enjoy and can get good grades in. Maths and English at a decent grade is important, so work hard on those.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
I’m 16 almost 17 and I don’t even know what I want to do... let alone at 12 :colondollar:
Honestly just pick subjects you’ll enjoy. PE is less practical according to my friends who took it, and by the end of year 11 hated it! However, if you’re sure you’re going to love it, then I’d say do it. However, I would recommend taking a subject that you’ll find challenging, such as history or a language for example. Something that you are motivated to work hard in will look good and prove to yourself that you have the ability to persevere. Good luck, but I wouldn’t start worrying yet!
why don't you wanna do history? its a good subject to practise your essays and its pretty interesting. im no expert, but i think you do have to write a lot of essays in law, plus take essay based subjects at a level. then again, you're so so young rn, just enjoy your time
Reply 5

Yeah 👍

I, personally, would not recommend PE at all unless you compete at a good level. By this I mean in many clubs outside of school, otherwise it is quite hard to get a good grade. I made the mistake of taking it and I’m now in year 11 and wanting to drop it altogether. The practical side of PE is hard to get a good grade in so unless you’re extremely good in at least 3 different sports, don’t take it. I recommend History, it’s very interesting and surprisingly challenging but rewarding. I took Hair and Beauty as my ‘fun’ subject and don’t regret that at all. If you like biology you’ll like GCSE PE but not BTEC PE depending on what your school does, because BTEC doesn’t go into that kind of depth, but again don’t ignore the practical side which many seem to do as it’s nothing like a normal PE lesson.

Quick Reply

Latest