The Student Room Group

AFC Harrogate

I’m 16 just left school. I’ve been wanting to join the Army all my life but can’t decide whether to wait and get my a levels or join now and go to AFC Harrogate . Anyone got any advice or does anyone know what AFC Harrogate is like eg Is it enjoyable ?
Original post by Jmurtagh999
I’m 16 just left school. I’ve been wanting to join the Army all my life but can’t decide whether to wait and get my a levels or join now and go to AFC Harrogate . Anyone got any advice or does anyone know what AFC Harrogate is like eg Is it enjoyable ?

I’ve never been in the army so literally just speaking as a 24year old who’s had friends/boyfriends in the army.. I say, because you’re so young go to college and enjoy a bit of “life experience” first, you’ll definitely not regret it and what have you got to loose? The army will always be there waiting, however college with your mates will not. The army is such a false reality (meaning compared to civvy life haha) I personally think it would be better to join at an older age, the army is amazing and my boyfriend says it was the best part of his life, however it’s also had a really bad effect on him. He joined when he was 17/18 I believe, went to Afghanistan twice and Kosovo, and he really is still effected by it 11 years on.. wakes up multiple times throughout the night sweating and shouting regularly. I’m not trying to put you off by any means, however you should think about how starting a lifestyle like that so early on may effect your mental health. I say college first, good luck and enjoy either way xx
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice . Yes I probably will end up going to college .
Reply 3
I thought you were joining the Navy?

I post on the Armed Forces forum and the current/ex-military who go on there always advise to get qualifications above GCSEs so you have something to fall back on if joining the Forces doesn't work out.

AFC Harrogate is quite restrictive in the early weeks; they limit use of phones and other electronic devices. You'll be pushed physically and mentally, but everyone there is in the same position.

Whenever you join, there will be times when you don't enjoy training; you could be cold, wet, tired, hungry and still facing miles of running or hours more work. Other times you'll love it for the camaraderie and sense of achievement. The main thing is to be as prepared as possible fitness-wise and remember that training is a means to an end and actually being in the military and doing the role you joined up for is completely different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending