A level choices Watch

JMcGarry00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So, I want to be a clinical neuropsychologist and I don't know which A level to take. Some people have told me to do health and social, some have said chemistry and some have said law (for the essay part about it and to develop skills). What are all of these like as an A-level?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by JMcGarry00)
So, I want to be a clinical neuropsychologist and I don't know which A level to take. Some people have told me to do health and social, some have said chemistry and some have said law (for the essay part about it and to develop skills). What are all of these like as an A-level?
Without a single doubt, the most relevant would be: Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. You can read about the specifications if you Google them online. You can also find various past papers etc.
JMcGarry00
Rep:
?
Chemistry looks really difficult though
Eloise204010
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It depends if you take psychology or neuroscience as a degree, or biomed, or biology. Either way I'd recommend doing Psychology itself and Biology. Unless you want to do biomed or biology, chemistry isn't particularly needed. Psychology is 95% essays, and gives you an understanding of psychology, and what your future degree will be like, so you don't need to worry about essay skills, and biology gives a good foundation to understanding more neurological explanations. Health and social is less relevant and heavily coursework based, and not to mention, not an A level, but a different qualification altogether. Chemistry is hard from what I've heard, so unless you love it, why bother? Honestly? Do what you enjoy and what you'll excel in, but make sure you have a science or two, as some unis and courses want a science or two(whether they count psychology also changes). You'll learn the important things in your degree.
(Want to be a clinical psychologist, or something to do with neuroscience/psychopathology)
JMcGarry00
Rep:
?
I want a neuropsychology degree because I love the science part of psychology
Eloise204010
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
That's a thing? I could only find psychology with neuropsychology, not even with neuroscience at most unis.
Afterlife?
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you want pure science then u should really do biology or neuroscience then, and also you should think about a level maths because it’s really useful for stem kids
JMcGarry00
Rep:
?
Yeah, you have to do a undergraduate degree in psychology and do a DPsyClin in clinical psychology. After that, you can get a masters in clinical neuropsychology that's a year. Then, you're done. Did you not know that?
JMcGarry00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Afterlife?)
If you want pure science then u should really do biology or neuroscience then, and also you should think about a level maths because it’s really useful for stem kids
Maths? I'm not good at maths
Afterlife?
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Maths? I'm not good at maths
Just do chem bio and maths and do neuroscience or smth literally
JMcGarry00
Rep:
?
What is chemistry like?
epicnm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I would do Psychology, Biology and then whatever subject you think you’ll get an A in.

Are you planning on taking a BSc in Neuropsychology because the only uni I could find offering that was Uni of Central Lancashire
JMcGarry00
Rep:
?
I'm thinking just a undergraduate in psychology and then a DPsyClin in clinical psychology and then a PG masters in clinical neuropsychology. What do you recommend?
Eloise204010
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah, you have to do a undergraduate degree in psychology and do a DPsyClin in clinical psychology. After that, you can get a masters in clinical neuropsychology that's a year. Then, you're done. Did you not know that?
Did you mean me or another dude here?

In case you did mean me, I know about that, but was talking about undergrad degrees.
JMcGarry00
Rep:
?
Oh no, you can't do an undergrad in it unfortunately. Well, I haven't found one. Are you currently at uni or at college?
Eloise204010
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
That's what I thought, closest I found was psych with neuropsych at Bangor. I'll be going to uni in September hopefully, getting A level results on Thursday.

Intending on a DPsyClin afterwards, if I get rejected too much I'll try neuroscience at postgrad, then teacher as a last resort, god forbid

I took bio and psych, so I guess I'm biased towards them either way
JMcGarry00
Rep:
?
Aw, good luck. I'm sure you've done really well. I'm pretty sure you'll get a DPsyClin, you at least seem intelligent😂
Eloise204010
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I hope so - but I only need DDC to get into the course I want through clearing 😂 And I'll see I guess, what about you, are you finishing GCSEs, or are you a mature student?
JMcGarry00
Rep:
?
I'm starting A-levels in September
JMcGarry00
Rep:
?
And I'm dreading it because I don't know anyone who is going to my college. 2 years of hell
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (74)
17.79%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (265)
63.7%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.81%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.7%

Watched Threads