The Student Room Group

Law AND criminology help?!

I was thinking of applying to criminology but I read that the job aspects aren’t very promising, so I thought I could try law AND criminology, as a double degree. Would that give me more career opportunities? Will this double degree also count as a law degree in any way?

I know that there’s law WITH criminology, and law AND criminology. I’m assuming that law WITH crim is basically law but with some criminal aspects. So, if I apply for law AND crim, would I be learning about those two subjects independently?

Would it serve as both a law and a criminology degree?
Reply 1
It is a single degree.

You would need to establish if it is considered to be a qualifying law degree. Many combined degrees are not.

Those with non qualifying degrees can take a conversion course.

Read up on cilex as an alternative method of qualifying. Or even legal apprenticeship.
It is a single degree and would only count as a qualifying Law degree if it was a LLB rather than a BA, which it will clearly state on the degree title, like this one at Portsmouth

https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/llb-hons-law-with-criminology
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
It is a single degree and would only count as a qualifying Law degree if it was a LLB rather than a BA, which it will clearly state on the degree title, like this one at Portsmouth

https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/llb-hons-law-with-criminology

I can’t thank you enough for this reply! I didn’t know that a BA wasn’t a qualifying law degree and I would have applied if I hadn’t know prior. Thank you very much for your help! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JohnHen
It is a single degree.

You would need to establish if it is considered to be a qualifying law degree. Many combined degrees are not.

Those with non qualifying degrees can take a conversion course.

Read up on cilex as an alternative method of qualifying. Or even legal apprenticeship.

Thank you very much for your help :smile:
Reply 5
Hi, I’m currently doing a law n crim degree now (I don’t know what I want to do after uni). I chose it as I am interested in both subjects and they go together very well. In crim, I do crim theory (different perspectives in regards to why ppl commit crime) and understanding crime (broad topic - age, ethnicity, class, statistics) and have now finished that module and am moving on to the criminal justice system. In law I’m doing criminal law and foundations for law (the second being focused on case law and statutes etc). Personally if you’re interested in both I’d say go for a joint degree, and in the second year you can stay 50/50 or major in one, or even switch to one. I know if you change to straight law in the second year you can get a qualifying law degree by doing an extra year studying probs 2 more modules. Don’t listen to ppl who say your employment options are reduced, personally I think it shows you have a better understanding upon the matter and an increased comprehension of both knowledge and skills too. It may even keep your options/available opportunities wider too x
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending