Advice on winter clothes Watch

PamelaEAJ
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello! I'm a Foreign student soon to start grad school at Swansea University and I would like some advice on what clothes I should bring with me or buy for winter. I'm not used to this kind of weather so it would be really nice if someone could give me a hand with this and perhaps with suggestions of shops I could go to? Or is it better to use Amazon? Thanks a lot in advance!!
Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PamelaEAJ)
Hello! I'm a Foreign student soon to start grad school at Swansea University and I would like some advice on what clothes I should bring with me or buy for winter. I'm not used to this kind of weather so it would be really nice if someone could give me a hand with this and perhaps with suggestions of shops I could go to? Or is it better to use Amazon? Thanks a lot in advance!!
Hi PamelaEAJ!

These are some of my favourite threads, talking with people about to come and live in my city for the first time not quite knowing what to expect - it's an exciting time! I studied abroad myself (going from Swansea to Spain) so I understand the feeling of not even being sure what clothes you'll need.

First of all, type of clothes. For the winter, you can expect rain and mild temperatures. It will rarely go below freezing, but you can expect low single-digit Celsius temperatures quite often during that period. I would typically therefore recommend an outdoor outfit of a nice warm woolly hat (bobble optional), a warm coat, a jumper/sweater and a tshirt or similar, with jeans, thick socks and some shoes/boots that will keep out the rain! In terms of the coat, a practical and fashionable choice would be a good quality parka.

You will absolutely be able to find all of the above on Amazon, but be careful of cheap clothing on the website as sometimes you very much get what you pay for! My personal advice would be to put a bit more money into the shoes and the coat, as you will be thankful of good quality in the worst conditions. The rest you can definitely do on a budget! I've asked a few of the ladies in the office where they would recommend shopping and they've all settled on Asos - they say there's a good own-brand budget range and they apparently give student discount. Brick-and-mortar shops such as TK Maxx and H&M may also be good if you want a deal.

I hope you find that helpful!

Jamie
Student Roost - Swansea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PamelaEAJ)
Hello Pamela

Great to hear that you've decided to live in Swansea! It's a great place to live!

Its currently quite warm here in Swansea but the winter can get cold! Our advice would be to bring layers! Just to make sure you're ready for any weather! There are some great shops in the city centre! Depending on where you are living, most student areas are within walking distance from the city centre or there's the campus to campus bus that will take you into town!

Hope this helps a little! Have a safe journey!
PamelaEAJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swansea University Enquiries)
Hi PamelaEAJ!

These are some of my favourite threads, talking with people about to come and live in my city for the first time not quite knowing what to expect - it's an exciting time! I studied abroad myself (going from Swansea to Spain) so I understand the feeling of not even being sure what clothes you'll need.

First of all, type of clothes. For the winter, you can expect rain and mild temperatures. It will rarely go below freezing, but you can expect low single-digit Celsius temperatures quite often during that period. I would typically therefore recommend an outdoor outfit of a nice warm woolly hat (bobble optional), a warm coat, a jumper/sweater and a tshirt or similar, with jeans, thick socks and some shoes/boots that will keep out the rain! In terms of the coat, a practical and fashionable choice would be a good quality parka.

You will absolutely be able to find all of the above on Amazon, but be careful of cheap clothing on the website as sometimes you very much get what you pay for! My personal advice would be to put a bit more money into the shoes and the coat, as you will be thankful of good quality in the worst conditions. The rest you can definitely do on a budget! I've asked a few of the ladies in the office where they would recommend shopping and they've all settled on Asos - they say there's a good own-brand budget range and they apparently give student discount. Brick-and-mortar shops such as TK Maxx and H&M may also be good if you want a deal.

I hope you find that helpful!

Jamie
Thank you so much for your help Jamie!! Your answer has been really helpful! It has given me a clear idea on what to do .
PamelaEAJ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student Roost - Swansea)
Hello Pamela

Great to hear that you've decided to live in Swansea! It's a great place to live!

Its currently quite warm here in Swansea but the winter can get cold! Our advice would be to bring layers! Just to make sure you're ready for any weather! There are some great shops in the city centre! Depending on where you are living, most student areas are within walking distance from the city centre or there's the campus to campus bus that will take you into town!

Hope this helps a little! Have a safe journey!
Thanks!!
Harry14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lots of layers as well as wellies and a waterproof coat as it is often very wet in winter in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (216)
12.39%
Excited (161)
9.23%
Worried (308)
17.66%
Terrified (385)
22.08%
Meh (180)
10.32%
Confused (37)
2.12%
Putting on a brave face (242)
13.88%
Impatient (215)
12.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise