The Student Room Group

I can't stop washing my hands please help me

I can't stop washing my hands. I do it for hours and today it was every time I touched something or something.

Please help my dad thinks I'm crazy because I don't want him to touch me and I keep washing my hands all the time, they've started to bleed a little bit.

I actually can't stop my dad is worried, I'm scared he will tell my mum. She doesn't live with me.
Reply 1
Original post by Jordan!
I can't stop washing my hands. I do it for hours and today it was every time I touched something or something.

Please help my dad thinks I'm crazy because I don't want him to touch me and I keep washing my hands all the time, they've started to bleed a little bit.

I actually can't stop my dad is worried, I'm scared he will tell my mum. She doesn't live with me.

Dear Jordan this is a really common form of OCD.Make that GP appointment tomorrow.The sooner it is treated the sooner it will go away.
You are NOT crazy it is caused by anxiety of some sort.Your dad is understandably worried.If it was the other way round you would be worried too.
You can order a relaxation CD from Amazon called Wellbeing and you need to do it twice a day to get the best effect.This wlll help bring down your stress levels and help you sleep.
Finally I will say it again get to GP asap the longer it goes on the more entrenched the habit becomes but it is very treatable at this stage.
Reply 2
Original post by Eloise204010
Go to see your GP and get a referrral to a psychologist or psychiatrist asap, and keep a log of this, like paper. Whether it's a short term reaction or symptoms of OCD appearing, talk to a professional. Online randos can only help so much

Meanwhile, if you do keep washing them, put moisturiser on afterwards and carry sanitiser with you. Consider buying latex gloves. Wear long sleeved shirts to avoid arm contact.

If your parents are funny about it, lie about it and keep doctors stuff confidential. (dunno your age, so confidentiality is a possible issue)

Original post by Scotney
Dear Jordan this is a really common form of OCD.Make that GP appointment tomorrow.The sooner it is treated the sooner it will go away.
You are NOT crazy it is caused by anxiety of some sort.Your dad is understandably worried.If it was the other way round you would be worried too.
You can order a relaxation CD from Amazon called Wellbeing and you need to do it twice a day to get the best effect.This wlll help bring down your stress levels and help you sleep.
Finally I will say it again get to GP asap the longer it goes on the more entrenched the habit becomes but it is very treatable at this stage.

Thank you both for answering but I don't think I'll be able to make an appointment because I'm 13 and other don't know how I'll tell my dad to make an appointment for that
I'm so scared
Original post by Jordan!
Thank you both for answering but I don't think I'll be able to make an appointment because I'm 13 and other don't know how I'll tell my dad to make an appointment for that
I'm so scared

You can make an appointment but I would recommend involving your parents as they will be able to support you. It's scary but some ideas:
Write your dad a letter
Tell a teacher and ask them to help you
Next time your dad brings it up tell him you want to see a doctor

In the meantime... it helped me to wear gloves when my Ocd got really bad. Or at least moisturize a lot and don't use those alcohol gels.
Reply 4
Original post by doodle_333
You can make an appointment but I would recommend involving your parents as they will be able to support you. It's scary but some ideas:
Write your dad a letter
Tell a teacher and ask them to help you
Next time your dad brings it up tell him you want to see a doctor

In the meantime... it helped me to wear gloves when my Ocd got really bad. Or at least moisturize a lot and don't use those alcohol gels.

Original post by Eloise204010
If you call up your doctors, you may be able to make one, if your dad makes one it'll be fine too though.

The gp will just ask questions and probably make more appointments. Sometimes they'll give medication, but you're 13 so probably not.

No need to be scared, you'll get help with this

Thank you I will
I have OCD too different.ssris helped I've experiment with most including some that make you suicidal despite no reason for it. Therapy didn't work for me. But there's the technique of slowly extending the time before compulsion. Might work abit. Get diagnosed by a doctor first
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jonathanrknight
kay but how do you know they even have that.

None of us *know* op has OCD or not, but the repitition of the actions, even if self harming, and the action itself being a very common symptom of OCD, point to the liklihood of op having OCD. We aren't diagnosing op, but advising him to go to see a doctor who can actually help.
I have exactly the same OCD as that. Moderated through treatment and learning more about it, and only impacts me to some degree in a very small number of places.
just be a little dirty. touch some dirt and don't wash your hands it's harmless
Reply 9
I've moderated some comments in this thread and moved it to mental health.

Spoiler

As a quick note to OP:
What you are describing sounds like it could be a form of OCD or similar where essentially (very simplified) your brain doesn't send "done" signals to tell you you can stop doing things. So instead of you washing your hands once and your brain thinking "cool we washed our hands, what next?" it keeps on saying "we need to wash our hands. We need to wash our hands".
It's something you should see a doctor about. There is help available which should be able to help reduce those urges/ compulsions. You are not crazy and although I'm sure your brain is telling you otherwise everything is okay. It is "all in your head" in the sense that any fears aren't real and it's your brain causing all this stress. But that does not mean you are crazy or that this isn't a real issue. Just like a brain tumour would be "in somebody's head" but that doesn't make it made up.

You can book a GP appointment by yourself at any age. All you need to do is phone the surgery you are registered at and say "I would like to make an appointment". They will ask for some details like your name, date of birth and why you want to book an appointment. The why part is just so your GP can be a bit more prepared. You don't have to say if you don't want to. You could say "mental health" or "I'd rather not say".

Anything you talk about is confidential which means they won't tell anybody else. You can search that on the mix or childline website for more information (they have pages that explain it well).

If you feel confident enough I would suggest talking to your dad about it at some point because trying to hide things or push them away can make them worse and more stressful. You don't have to tell him now though and could wait until you know a little bit more. You could also write him a letter and give him some websites to look at so you don't have to talk to him directly until he's had a chance to look at things. Sometimes it can be hard having loads of questions and misunderstandings interrupting you when you're trying to talk about something emotional.
It might also help to write some brief notes down for when you see GP cos it's easy to forget things when you're stressed and only have a set amount of time.

I hope that helps a bit and that you can get some answers and make some progress soon.
Reply 10
I too have OCD and overwash my hands. Do you lose it if others touch your stuff? I am not on medication and have learnt to decrease the amount of handwashing I do but it took others to help me. My mother played a huge part and I would recommend telling your father because you won't feel so alone in it. I used my school blazer to open doors and stuff so this might lessen your anxiety and it's less noticeable. It might help to go to your GP and ask for some isomel gel for your hands because your OCD might worsen over time and cause you to get ezcma.

Quick Reply

Latest