Asking for the pill Watch

onefellswoop
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I was wondering if girls could share their experiences of going to the doctor and asking for the pill. I've never made an appointment with a doctor by myself before so i'm a little nervous.

What happens during the appointment? I've heard they take your blood pressure and weigh you? Are there any reasons why I wouldnt be prescribed it? Also, will I get a say in the pill they put me on? I read in another thread that microgynon gave some bad side effects so i'd like to avoid that one if possible.

Thankyou in advance for any help
Floria
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They take your blood pressure and weight to make sure that everything is okay. They will do this every six months or so when you start the pill, its just to check everything so don't worry about that.
moonlit_streets
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I never got weighed. Had my blood pressure taken, and she took a family history. You won't be prescribed it if you have a family history of strokes etc.

And a decent doctor should take what you think into account when you go to see them. Just mention your thoughts on side-effects, but tbh, most of the versions of the pill have some side-effects. Different ones just affect different people.

My doctor was really nice about it. I just marched in, said that I was sick of having irregular periods and I wanted to go on the pill, so she sat down and talked through all the different types before sticking me on the one I'm on now.
star.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
From what I remember, I just said I'll like to go on the pill please... the doc weighed me, measured my height I think, took my blood pressure, asked me if I smoked, that's it I think. I think I'm on microgyon (the green one packet?) but I don't know anything about side effects sorry, everyone's different and I think it would be best to ask the doc about that.
It's really nothing to worry about.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wasn't weighed, but my GP did take my blood pressure.
I think they ask you if you are sexually active as well, but its so long ago since I was first prescribed it that I can't quite remember.

I don't think you need to be particularly worried about Microgynon. Most people are put on in initally, its one of the ones that is prescribed most often. I think thats why people on here tend to moan about it so much, as the first month or so is when people often have the most problems.
I was on it for around 18 months, and never had any problems apart from weight gain.
Some doctors are less likely to prescribe you things like Yasmin because they are more expensive for the NHS.
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i think most people start off on mycrogynon, i've had no side effects at all. eveyones different. If your blood pressure is too high they wont prescribe it, if your BMI is over 30, family history if certain things etc
screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't go to my family doctor, I went to my local family planning clinic. But it's the same process.

You have a talk about the mechanics of the pill (do your research about what the pill actually does to you and it's effects/side effects, what progestins and estrogens are and how they mimic pregnancy etc) and they talk you through the routine of taking it/what to do if you miss it. Then they gave me a little quiz to make sure I had remembered everything I had been taught and ask if you have any questions.

I was weighed, they took my blood pressure and asked a lot of questions about my health and lifestyle and family history of breast cancers/blood pressure problems/clots etc, whether you smoke, stomach ulcers, DVT, jaundice, migraines.

I was put on Ovranette, then moved to Ovysmen 6 months later because ovranette was too low a dose and I was still ovulating each month (which is not what you want!) Never taken microgynon, but every pill affects every individual in a different way, there is no "best" pill to take, some will suit you, some wont.

Don't beleive "horror stories" online about "I took this pill and it made me gain a stone and become infertile!" - it's mostly written by pranksters and anti-contraceptive fundamentalists to put you off. Generally the pills with the lowest side effects are the low-estrogen dose ones, but of course too low a dose and they might not work for you.
Meltdown30
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been on Microgynon since February and had no side effects, not even spotting. My periods are lighter and shorter than they've ever been (and I'm not pregnant!).

I was asked questions about migraines and smoking and had my blood pressure taken (the pill can cause it to increase). She also asked what I knew about the pill already and explained how to take it properly.
LA_0909
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mollymustard)
Some doctors are less likely to prescribe you things like Yasmin because they are more expensive for the NHS.
My doctor refused to perscribe me with Yasmin, as Microgyon was "perfectly good for me." I had to end up going to the family planning clinic to get it :rolleyes:

But back to the OP, it's nothing to worry about! Just say that you would like to go on the pill. It's most likely that they'll ask for a family history to make sure you're suitable for it and they may or may not offer you other forms of contraception. I was weighed and my BMI was calculated as well as having my blood pressure taken.

I would recommend going to a Family Planning Clinic as I found them more informative and generally a bit more relaxed about the whole thing.
iloveyou_xx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i just went to the nurse at my local clinic and asked about forms of contraception that i could use. she sat me down and talked me through stuff like the implant, the injection, the pill etc.

when i decided on the pill, we talked some more and she came up with yasmin, because it was a combined pill so i could control my periods more and it's supposed to be quite good at clearing skin then she asked me a bit about my family history and took my blood pressure.

my advice is ask any questions that you have while you're there, no matter how silly or insignificant they might seem
Anonymous #1
Report 11 years ago
I work in a pharmacy and it's nothing to worry about!
It's around £22 to buy (may have gone up), staff are always really good about it, they don't care what you're buying. The pharmacist needs to ask you a few questions such as if you've taken the pill before and any medication you're on.
Don't worry about getting it though - people aren't there to judge you, they want to help you, and it's better to buy the MAP now than to consider an abortion later. Hope it goes well.
. sav .
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think Anon here is referring to the Morning After Pill and not the Contraceptive pill. Dont worry OP, the pill is free for all

edit to say: my doctor weighed, blood pressured and looked at my family history etc. He also asked why i wanted to go on the pill, if i knew what the side effects were and how you take it. he then explained that he'd have to check the weight, blood pressure, side effects every 6months and to let him know if i had any problems. aside that, no qualms whatsoever!
Anonymous #1
Report 11 years ago
Sorry wrong thread...
:eek:
onefellswoop
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
***I think Anon here is referring to the Morning After Pill and not the Contraceptive pill. Dont worry OP, the pill is free for all ***

Thanks Sav! I was just about to ask if it was free!
And thankyou to everyone for your replies - very helpful!
beccaarr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I go to the family planning clinic. i just went down and said I wanted to go on the pill. They asked about medical history and what not, weighed me and took my blood pressure. They'll probably ask you to go back every 3 months for abit then it'll be every 6. Every 3 years you should see the doctor but normall you'll just see the nurse.
I'm about due an appointment with the doctor. This threads just reminded me.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wasn't weighed either but I was asked why I wanted to go on it the first time I asked and was refused, but she was a weird doctor. I went back again a few months later and got it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.9%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.78%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
16.81%
It might lead to more bullying (81)
34.91%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.6%

Watched Threads