UCAS Clearing 2019 will be "buyer's market" for students Watch

Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
"UK universities are bracing themselves for a last-minute battle for new recruits in what is expected to be the most competitive A-level student recruitment round to date."

Lifting the cap on student places and the decline in numbers of 18 year olds means that universities are having to fight to fill their places.

UCAS have also added a new "decline my place" button on track which allows you to release yourself into Clearing - meaning you no longer need to call your unconditional firm and wait for them to release you. :beard:

Knowing this are you tempted to change your mind and apply somewhere else through Clearing on Thursday?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I do wonder if there's a bit of a caveat to this, though in that popular courses at popular unis may be advertised in clearing, but that doesn't mean the uni has loads of spaces or are going to drop grades by a long way.

I might be wrong but I do think in some cases unis are really just looking for a few additional students, or using courses as a way to get students on the phone to then offer them maybe less popular/harder fill courses e.g. Joint honours.

It's also worth thinking about whether it's really worth swapping courses at this stage- many unis won't be able to offer accommodation to clearing applicants, and there's less time to properly research a course/uni/city.
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It's also worth thinking about whether it's really worth swapping courses at this stage- many unis won't be able to offer accommodation to clearing applicants, and there's less time to properly research a course/uni/city.
I agree that students need to think carefully about swapping unis at the last minute almost on a whim. Hopefully they researched their Firm and Insurance unis carefully taking many things into account, not just their position on a league table, for example. So as exciting as it may seem to think you can jump ship at the last moment to a "better" uni, students need to carefully consider issues such as accommodation which is often not guaranteed to those coming in via Clearing. The unis will use careful wording such as that they "aim" to help all Clearing students to find accommodation on campus or that they will help them to find "university managed accommodation" (not owned by the uni). The lack of certainty about where exactly they will be living may be a gamble worth taking to some students, but they should at least be aware that in some cases, it is a gamble.
Sarpic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
So if Maths at Exeter was firm choice at AAB, but they are offering clearing spaces at ACC, if AAB isn’t met are they still likely to offer a place or do you have to ask? TIA
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Sarpic)
So if Maths at Exeter was firm choice at AAB, but they are offering clearing spaces at ACC, if AAB isn’t met are they still likely to offer a place or do you have to ask? TIA
You shouldn't have to ask.

Rejections are never automatic, even if you don't meet your offer conditions. If they are offering places at ACC come results day, they should let you in if you miss your conditions.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I would have never used release into clearing even if it had been around then. If you research well and put proper choices in then your firm and course should be the one you absolutely want to go to above all else. Personally I feel like release into clearing is a massive gamble but if people want to take that it's up to them
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If they are offering clearing spaces with ACC, it's very likely they will let you in with any grades higher than that. However, all these decisions are made before results day- if you're rejected, you can't then ring up and ask to still be considered.

Are they advertising spaces with ACC grades, or is it just that someone has told you they got in with ACC? Is the ACC for their Cornwall Campus?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I would have never used release into clearing even if it had been around then. If you research well and put proper choices in then your firm and course should be the one you absolutely want to go to above all else. Personally I feel like release into clearing is a massive gamble but if people want to take that it's up to them
Tbf, people can fully research a course before applying and then not get a place. In that case, if I saw the same course advertising in clearing, and preferred it to my actual firm and it was in a city where accommodation wouldn't be too hard to find, I might consider it.

Some people also do have a massive change of mind between picking their firm in the spring and results day, which is fair, I think.

However, I agree that if you haven't been thinking about a course before and suddenly see it in clearing and decide to apply for it, then that would be a massive gamble! And of course, if they've declined their place, they could end up without either uni!
Sarpic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
If they are offering clearing spaces with ACC, it's very likely they will let you in with any grades higher than that. However, all these decisions are made before results day- if you're rejected, you can't then ring up and ask to still be considered.

Are they advertising spaces with ACC grades, or is it just that someone has told you they got in with ACC? Is the ACC for their Cornwall Campus?
ACC is advertised on their website but can’t see that it at A different campus. Mathematical sciences is at Penwryn I believe. I wonder what would happen if you miss AAB then they offer you Penwryn which you don’t want, would you miss out on your insurance if they hold the offer as firm? Or can they not do that lol
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
ACC is advertised on their website but can’t see that it at A different campus. Mathematical sciences is at Penwryn I believe. I wonder what would happen if you miss AAB then they offer you Penwryn which you don’t want, would you miss out on your insurance if they hold the offer as firm? Or can they not do that lol
If they make you an offer that is different in any way, they have to offer it to you, not insist you take it, so you could refuse it if you want and go to your Insurance
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
If they offer you a different campus, you should be allowed to make the decision as to whether you accept or not on results day.

You could always contact the uni and ask which campus the ACC is for!

Good luck for results day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (71)
17.49%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (258)
63.55%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.93%
Not yet but I might (57)
14.04%

Watched Threads