HelloThere191817
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I can’t get above 580 in any practice tests. I feel so disheartened because I don’t seem to improve. I might do the test on the 12th of September or later. I don’t understand why I’m so terrible at this. I got all A* at gcse yet I’m wayyy below average in this one. I’m panicking I won’t get into med school anywhere.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anna191817)
So I can’t get above 580 in any practice tests. I feel so disheartened because I don’t seem to improve. I might do the test on the 12th of September or later. I don’t understand why I’m so terrible at this. I got all A* at gcse yet I’m wayyy below average in this one. I’m panicking I won’t get into med school anywhere.
These tests have more factors other than wrote learning, which is the most successful at GCSE for achieving high grades.

Test strategy: look at the key resources online for this.

Practice: although this can only get you so far...

The reality is do your best, prepare as much as you can, but with tests that also measure critical thinking and reasoning, you cant just wrote learn your way to a perfect score, intellect and cognitive skills play a much larger part.

Best of luck.
Examsareoversoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
While doing the test earlier is recommended, perhaps giving yourself longer to practice is a good idea by delaying. What resources are you using? I would recommend when you are just starting preparation, don't practice under fully timed conditions to get used to the style of questions. You still have plenty of time to improve, don't worry!

However, the UCAT is meant to be an aptitude test and while practice can massively improve your score, not everyone is going to get 800+. So maybe look at the BMAT or UCAT universities that don't put much emphasis on your score.
HelloThere191817
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Examsareoversoon)
While doing the test earlier is recommended, perhaps giving yourself longer to practice is a good idea by delaying. What resources are you using? I would recommend when you are just starting preparation, don't practice under fully timed conditions to get used to the style of questions. You still have plenty of time to improve, don't worry!

However, the UCAT is meant to be an aptitude test and while practice can massively improve your score, not everyone is going to get 800+. So maybe look at the BMAT or UCAT universities that don't put much emphasis on your score.
I’m using medentry practice test
username3983032
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dont worry, everything will work out in the end, you’ll end up doing better on your actual test then practices anyway. I was in the same position, my practices got me no further then the 400s and I ended up with a 650 average which got me an interview at Kings. The UCAT is by far the strangest exam you’ll ever sit imo. And as for apptitude, I’m not good at the UCAT but somehow scored in the top decile of Cambridge applicants on the BMAT, go figure out how it’s an apptitude test now?!
Examsareoversoon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by WanderlustWilson)
Dont worry, everything will work out in the end, you’ll end up doing better on your actual test then practices anyway. I was in the same position, my practices got me no further then the 400s and I ended up with a 650 average which got me an interview at Kings. The UCAT is by far the strangest exam you’ll ever sit imo. And as for apptitude, I’m not good at the UCAT but somehow scored in the top decile of Cambridge applicants on the BMAT, go figure out how it’s an apptitude test now?!
True especially as both exams are meant to test similar skills!
Examsareoversoon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m using medentry practice test
I don't know how reliable that is, but lots of people find that medify is one of the most representative services of the real ucat. Have you tried questions under non timed conditions? Are you focusing on your weakest subtests? I spent a lot more time on AR because I found it impossible at first but spend much less time on VR and SJT because I was already much better at those.
Last edited by Examsareoversoon; 1 year ago
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by WanderlustWilson)
Just testing an aptitude for different things?
As Albert Einstein wrote, “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
The UCAT tested aptitudes you were not as good at as those tested by the BMAT
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads