whats the difference between a sixth form in school and a sixth form college? Watch

em0612s
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I know this question seems stupid but I don't live in the UK anymore so I was just wondering

why do people choose to go to a 6th form college rather than stay in school?
Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Because 6th form college isn't full of younr (11-16) kids.
TomStudent
Report 11 years ago
colleges are more layed back, and arent full of stupid kids and the school culture.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think most choose to go to a college because it's a new environment and the chance to meet new people. You're stuck with all the people you were previously with in a school sixth form (for the most part) including the teachers, as well as all the 11-16 students. :p:
purplefrog
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
6th Forms are attached to schools where you can have year groups from 7-11 plus the 6th form.
Colleges are independent from schools and usually an institution just to teach A levels.

Edit: *just re-read your question* people choose to opt for colleges either because they prefer a more relaxed atmosphere from schools, or they may think its easier to doss around or simply for a change of environment. They may also opt for colleges because they feel colleges are better in the terms that they are specially geared up to teach A levels.
Howells
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Some schools don't have Sixth Forms attached to them, so the students have no choice but to go to a sixth form college. There are normally more options in sixth form colleges as well
moonlit_streets
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In my area, the people interested in something more vocational, such as childcare tend to go to the local sixth form college, whereas those who want more academic courses stay on at school
x y z
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't have a 6th form at my school so I didn't have the choice, but as others have said, college doesn't have younger kids running round and you get more respect from the teachers.
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
colleges offer all subjects including gcses etc

sixth form colleges only offer AS+A2/AEA
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by trance addict)
sixth form colleges only offer AS+A2/AEA
Not true. My school offers BTECs in some subjects, and diplomas. And quite a few sixth forms around here offer GCSEs.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by moonlit_streets)
In my area, the people interested in something more vocational, such as childcare tend to go to the local sixth form college, whereas those who want more academic courses stay on at school
yes it's flame bait but DTFLB

vocational course students end up at FE colleges , not 6th form colleges, sixth form colleges are there to provide a decent learning environment for peopl who want to study at NQF levle 3 rather than put up with the arguably worse than 11-16 year old behaviour of the 'average' FE student ...
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Joanna May)
Not true. My school offers BTECs in some subjects, and diplomas. And quite a few sixth forms around here offer GCSEs.
sixth form college means AS/A2 subjects only. I'm going to one next year..

sixth form school - just sixth form of a school with the school itself

FE college - offers all that crap from A levels to BTECs etc
moonlit_streets
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by zippyRN)
vocational courzse students end up at FE colleges , not 6th form colleges, sixth form colleges are there to provide a decent learning environment for peopl who want to study at NQF levle 3 rather than put up with the arguably worse than 11-16 year old behaviour of the 'average' FE student ...
In my area, it's different. Our school doesn't offer any vocational courses whatsoever, and you go to a normal sixth form college to do the more vocational A Levels - they also happen to do NVQs etc.

I see what you mean about the student behaviour though. Personally, I stayed on at sixth form school, because they get far better A Level results than our local college.

I think it'll differ from area to area though. In your area, one thing will apply, in mine, another.
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
sixth form college means AS/A2 subjects only. I'm going to one next year..

sixth form school - just sixth form of a school with the school itself

FE college - offers all that crap from A levels to BTECs etc
Goodness, I must know far less than you on the matter, since I've only been at a sixth form for the past two years whilst you've yet to set foot in one :rolleyes:

I'm at a sixth form attached to a school. The only difference between a "sixth form school" and a "sixth form college" is that one has years seven to eleven attached. They're the same thing with regards to what they can offer you. My school sixth form offers a couple of BTECs and a few diplomas. Sixth forms aren't limited in what they can offer. The majority do limit themselves to AS and A levels, but many do also offer more vocational qualifications.

There isn'tlegally any official definition. All sixth forms are FE colleges, and they themselves choose what they want to teach. One sixth form might only do AS/A2s, whereas another sixth form might do the BTEC etc. Besides, "sixth form college" is a silly name anyway, since the colleges don't have "fifth forms" anyway.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Joanna May)
Goodness, I must know far less than you on the matter, since I've only been at a sixth form for the past two years whilst you've yet to set foot in one :rolleyes:

I'm at a sixth form attached to a school. The only difference between a "sixth form school" and a "sixth form college" is that one has years seven to eleven attached. They're the same thing with regards to what they can offer you. My school sixth form offers a couple of BTECs and a few diplomas. Sixth forms aren't limited in what they can offer. The majority do limit themselves to AS and A levels, but many do also offer more vocational qualifications.

There isn'tlegally any official definition. All sixth forms are FE colleges, and they themselves choose what they want to teach. One sixth form might only do AS/A2s, whereas another sixth form might do the BTEC etc. Besides, "sixth form college" is a silly name anyway, since the colleges don't have "fifth forms" anyway.
*sigh* ive stepped foot in them on open days :rolleyes:

all the colleges ive seen advertised as colleges/fe colleges offer more than AS levels/A2

all the 'sixth form' colleges ive seen only offer AS/A2 levels
em0612s
ahh right cool thanks for the answers, that clears things up

I was asking cause my parents are moving to England for the start of next school year and I wanted to go to a sixth form college but wondered what the difference was.

Also, I'm going into Y13 so can I still go to one yea, or do you have to come straight from Y11?

sorry about all the stupid questions but I really don't know this stuff lol xD
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
*sigh* ive stepped foot in them on open days :rolleyes:

all the colleges ive seen advertised as colleges/fe colleges offer more than AS levels/A2

all the 'sixth form' colleges ive seen only offer AS/A2 levels
I went on an Open Day at Cambridge, doesn't mean I'd spout off "facts" and correct people who were already there. :rolleyes:

OP, unless you already have AS levels in the subjects you want to take, you won't be accepted into year 13 for A-level courses. The A-levels is made up of six units, and you have to have studied the three from year 12 to be able to sit the year 13 ones. Therefore, although you'll be allowed to enrool at an FE college, it'll have to be as a year 12 and study the full two year course.
em0612s
so eventhough I've already done my AS levels, I'd have to redo them to get in?

yea I'll probably end up going to a regular school then

thanks for the help
rkd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by em0612s)
ahh right cool thanks for the answers, that clears things up

I was asking cause my parents are moving to England for the start of next school year and I wanted to go to a sixth form college but wondered what the difference was.

Also, I'm going into Y13 so can I still go to one yea, or do you have to come straight from Y11?

sorry about all the stupid questions but I really don't know this stuff lol xD
To do A-levels, you'll have to go into year 12 - you need both the AS (done in year 12) and the A2 (done in year 13) for the full A-level. In theory you could do both in one year, but you'd double the workload and probably halve your grades.

That doesn't apply if you've already done ASes where you are, though - you should be able to go into year 13 and have the exam boards transferred.

Edit: Just seen that you've already done AS-levels. Which ones, and which boards? It's unlikely that you'll have the same exam board in your new college, so they'll have to be transferred from your old one - there's a list somewhere of acceptable transfers, but if yours are OK, it's just a form-filling exercise.
em0612s
(Original post by rkd)
To do A-levels, you'll have to go into year 12 - you need both the AS (done in year 12) and the A2 (done in year 13) for the full A-level. In theory you could do both in one year, but you'd double the workload and probably halve your grades.

That doesn't apply if you've already done ASes where you are, though - you should be able to go into year 13 and have the exam boards transferred.
ahh ok awesome thanks, that means I can go straight into Y13 cause i've already done my AS's *feels better*

thanks for all the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads