whats the difference between a sixth form in school and a sixth form college? Watch

rkd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by em0612s)
ahh ok awesome thanks, that means I can go straight into Y13 cause i've already done my AS's *feels better*

thanks for all the help!
Here - http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/pu...edit%20_3_.pdf

Check your ASes (that is, the ones you want to carry on to A2) are on there, and note what exam boards you can switch to. You'll have to pick a college that offers those subjects on those boards, but then the exams officer there should just be able to get it sorted.
Paauullll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by trance addict)
sixth form college means AS/A2 subjects only. I'm going to one next year..

sixth form school - just sixth form of a school with the school itself

FE college - offers all that crap from A levels to BTECs etc
nah your wrong
Joanna if definitely right
Sixth Form Colleges arnt restricted to what they can teach just because it says Sixth Form
I go to a Sixth Form College that teaches AS/A2, BTEC, Maths and Science GCSE's and even Foundation Courses
em0612s
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by rkd)
Here - http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/pu...edit%20_3_.pdf

Check your ASes (that is, the ones you want to carry on to A2) are on there, and note what exam boards you can switch to. You'll have to pick a college that offers those subjects on those boards, but then the exams officer there should just be able to get it sorted.
thanks! that's a really big help cheers!
adam_1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Paauullll)
nah your wrong
Joanna if definitely right
Sixth Form Colleges arnt restricted to what they can teach just because it says Sixth Form
I go to a Sixth Form College that teaches AS/A2, BTEC, Maths and Science GCSE's and even Foundation Courses
The sixth form I'm going to is combining with one of the further education colleges in the area, so they can basically offer loads from next year.
marsalltheway
Report 11 years ago
i go to a sixth form in a school! i think its really good - the lower years are not bad, and we as a sixth-form have a responsibility to the rest of the school! to be honest its probably a bit different to most sixthforms in schools as we are a relatively small school - and its a community as well as a school (i go to a jewish faith based mixed faith school which is located in the area of the primary school and youth centre/kindergarten AND synagogue). However its really good, great teaching and grades, we are treated differently to the rest of the school, no uniform do what you want in frees, good common room and teachers are very relaxed with us. we have our form rooms located on the other side of the school building, however we still share classrooms with the rest.
and our sixth-form is integrated with two other sixth-forms from two local high schools so there a wide variety of subjects - probably even more so than most sixth form colleges (e.g. one subject can be done one several different exam boards or same boards, different schools - my school offers geo[go to mallam] one of the partner schools offers geo[go to iceland!]) i would never go to a college, theyre so big and boring - i studied french AS there and hated it!
adam_1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Most of the school ones around me have to wear uniform, it all looks a bit school like.
We've got hardly any though, it's mainy colleges around.
MissJethro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Colleges are usually more laid back, don't have a dress-code, and you're generally more free to do what you want when you don't have a lesson so lots of people might like to go for the independence. They also offer more courses like hairdressing, engineering, and the like as well as A levels. I think lots of people like to go to colleges for the chance to meet new people and be in a new environment.

Schools have the lower years around, may have a dress-code (but not all do), and usually only offer A levels. But I think in a school, you have more responsibility with the younger ones around and you get to organise fundraising events and stuff for them to raise money for charity which is fun!
cyberdrummer
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Our school sixth-form was pretty well set-up for us. Year 12 and 13 are actually in a separate building, a minute's walk up the road. Yes, there are occasionally younger children around, but on the whole it means there is a much more relaxed, quiet atmosphere, suitable for sixth-formers, while maintaining the sense of involvement with school life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bartholomew%27s_School

Sadly, the school is being completely rebuilt over the next couple of years, which means that, in the future, Years 7-13 will all be together under the same roof. Sucks for them
Fizzee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
More independence
air1jwilkins1212
Report 11 years ago
Where I go to Sixth Form you are still treated like an 11 yr old (that is, you will still manage to get detentions(?), you WILL be spoonfed (regardless of all the insisting from teachers that you will NOT be spoonfed). I went to a Gloucester high school (sadly) and then went on to the Sixth Form there - mainly due to the fact that my best friends were doing the same, and the next best college was much further away and more difficult to travel to. Perhaps the biggest difference is the 1000+ lemmings floating everywhere in the main school that have the maturity and annoyance closely matched to that of a 6 or 7 year old. Without a doubt, I will have done well in my 3 A-levels come August this year, but is this due to me being spoonfed? Perhaps very very slightly, but I think it's more down to my independance and maturity.

If I had my time again I would've gone to a designated college.

...it really depends on what sort of person YOU ARE.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
IMO the differences are such that they arent other 'kid's- you areall minly adults
plu its a whole new building to what you know in yor school[thats supposing your wanting t go to a college instead ofsaying in your school] and its a chance to meet/se new people!

you may fnd it easier to stay at your school where you ave fmiliar surroundings insead f going to new colege whee you may find it hard to 'fit in' straight away!
roots
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you dont get looks from 13 year olds who think youre a fool for sticking around
air1jwilkins1212
Report 11 years ago
malsi, which are you going to?
air1jwilkins1212
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by roots)
you dont get looks from 13 year olds who think youre a fool for sticking around
haha genius...sooo true. Although at my 6th form they look at you, then annoy you, and then the next week they still think they've never seen you before.

One good thing is that there's nothing that quite lives up to a chavvy yr 7 kid who thinks he rules the place and you just simply walk into him and trample him back to primary school.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by air1jwilkins1212)
haha genius...sooo true. Although at my 6th form they look at you, then annoy you, and then the next week they still think they've never seen you before.

One good thing is that there's nothing that quite lives up to a chavvy yr 7 kid who thinks he rules the place and you just simply walk into him and trample him back to primary school.

i used to do that, the look haha thats probably why i went to a college
AmyS
Report 11 years ago
ive just finished year 13 in a 6th form attached to a school, in some ways i think its been good because all my friends stayed on and i knew all the treachers and the environamnt and ive done well without having to deal with going to a new place and new people ontop of the the stress of doing your a-levels.

but talking to alot of my friends who go to a 6th form college its seems alot more freedom and i think it would prepare you a bit more for university as you have to be a bit more independent then school. plus they dont have to deal with all the little ones running around under your feet.

if i had a choice again i think id go to 6th form college but ive had fun where i am n e way. but i feel ready to move away now because i cant belive im still in the same teaching environment as 11yr olds when im 18 lol.

so if ur deciding between the two, both are a good option but id say 6th form college!!
roots
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
im familiar with the not recognising you thing aswell, its probably because sixth formers in my school were dressed as if they were trying to give a good impression of planet earth to martians, they came dressed as if each day was a different audition or had a different theme
air1jwilkins1212
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AmyS)
so if ur deciding between the two, both are a good option but id say 6th form college!!
YEY!
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
I went to a sixth form college because instead of being years 7-13 with about 100 people of the AS/A2 age it's 1000 people aged 16-18 only.

It is specifically designed for AS/A2 and as such they offer way more subjects, I couldn't have done law or sociology at my old school but I could at a sixth form college. Also with history there were 3 choices (tudor, modern europe, american).

As everyone was 16-18 there was a more relaxed and liberal atmosphere. Teachers called by their first names, no uniforms etc etc
AmyS
Report 11 years ago
yeh i deffo agree, coming from a school 6th form, we dont have to wear uniform but there alway nit picking at us for being in smart work wear, you feel like sayin i can look after myself sometimes
the teaching is just as good but i feel like im too old for school now!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (118)
65.56%
No I haven't decided yet (38)
21.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.33%

Watched Threads