Marmite FTW :-).
Ewww marmite!
cynthiahxp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by weeniebellini)
Until coming on TSR I have never seen so much anti-vegetarian/veganism in my life! Some people on here have such a bee in their bonnet about other people's diets, what is with this strange obsession. Being a vegetarian or a vegan is a positive thing for both animals and the world, I really don't think that they deserve such anger and disrespect from others. It's not like they are promoting something with negative consequences to others. So why does it bother you so much?

I think that most veggies nutritional concerns can be worried about sufficiently by themselves, and they don't need other people to worry about their protein/vitamin/nutrient intake/the naturalness of their diets! I wouldn't criticise you for eating your favourite food, whether its healthy for you or not, so why go on about how 'bad' our diet is for us?

If you were as passionate about something as many people in the world (and on here) are about not eating/exploiting animals then I'm sure you would want to talk to people about it, and get your point across, so people do not have the excuse of being ignorant to cruelty and suffering. I'm pretty sure that being preachy about other food related topics, for example religious slaughter practices would not be treated with such ridicule, or receive such backlash. If you don't want to hear all this 'preaching' then just ignore it. Don't read threads like this and avoid preachy-types. It's not like people are in your face 24/7 talking about it, or its covered widely in the media. If it bothers you that much, just avoid it.
Exactly! Well put.

Though there are some vegans/vegetarians who become so for health reasons, the majority of those who do become so for reasons of the environment and preventing animal cruelty will desire to make people aware of the issues, otherwise the whole "one person can't make a difference" argument still stands! If you see this as a "holier than thou" complex than maybe you're insecure about your eating habits then, idk. Obviously if someone is a vegan it's more than a diet to them, it's a lifestyle, something they believe in so much (one can compare it to a religion in some ways) so they're going to be passionate about it. Why can't you just respect our opinions and move on, Marcus?
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cynthiahxp)
Exactly! Well put.

Though there are some vegans/vegetarians who become so for health reasons, the majority of those who do become so for reasons of the environment and preventing animal cruelty will desire to make people aware of the issues, otherwise the whole "one person can't make a difference" argument still stands! If you see this as a "holier than thou" complex than maybe you're insecure about your eating habits then, idk. Obviously if someone is a vegan it's more than a diet to them, it's a lifestyle, something they believe in so much (one can compare it to a religion in some ways) so they're going to be passionate about it. Why can't you just respect our opinions and move on, Marcus?
If you've seen my post above, I've said that I do respect the opinions of vegans and vegetarians, and couldn't care less if that's the life they choose to lead. What I do object to is having that opinion rammed down my throat because I choose to eat a bacon sandwich.

Even though most nutritional organisations recognise that vegan and vegetarian diets can be nutritious, it's only the loony fringe nutters that argue that humans aren't meant to be omnivorous, (don't confuse this with vegans/vegetarians who choose the diet for ethical reasons, and are well aware of why the majority of us choose to eat meat and don't care) - right up there with those who argue that dinosaur bones were buried by the Devil to discredit the bible.

Marcus
cynthiahxp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by marcusfox)
If you've seen my post above, I've said that I do respect the opinions of vegans and vegetarians, and couldn't care less if that's the life they choose to lead. What I do object to is having that opinion rammed down my throat because I choose to eat a bacon sandwich.

Even though most nutritional organisations recognise that vegan and vegetarian diets can be nutritious, it's only the loony fringe nutters that argue that humans aren't meant to be omnivorous, (don't confuse this with vegans/vegetarians who choose the diet for ethical reasons, and are well aware of why the majority of us choose to eat meat and don't care) - right up there with those who argue that dinosaur bones were buried by the Devil to discredit the bible.

Marcus
But if you come into a thread with the "possibility of jusitifying the amount of energy required for a carniverous diet and whether veganism would be a solution to that" ( see first page) as the topic, what would you expect?
I'm glad you say that respect vegans/vegetarians but since you seem to regard most as "holier than thou" for being passionate about their beliefs and rebute almost everything they stand for I don't see how you do "it's only the loony fringe nutters that argue that humans aren't meant to be omnivorous" - example lol, by saying this you're implicating that vegans are inherently unnatural, which many vegans would argue against.
MeAndBubbles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by marcusfox)
If a person has not eaten more than the daily needed amount of B12 over a long period before becoming a vegan then they may not have built up any significant store of the vitamin. In addition, a lot of foods are fortified with B12 created artificially by bacteria. According to the scientific definition, these bacteria are still animal cells, but the ethical argument provided by most vegans can be conveniently overlooked in this case.

Marcus
Sooo? Vitamins are not consumed by the body but are needed to help in chemical reactions. I'm not unduly bothered by consuming b12 tablets, they don't look alive to me In any case if I do consume the bacteria, I shall assume it is still alive inside my body.

By the way, b12 dificiency is explained away by saying our food is overly clean, if we were living like primates eg. bonobos, we wouldn't have to take supplements of b12. But b12 supplements is recommended just to be sure, so why take the risk.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Gancor)
lol @ people think eating meat is unhealthy.

Lean beef is healthy as it can be, it contains every single amino acid your body needs in one serving, high protein which your body needs to rebuild tissue, essential minerals and isn't hugely calorific.

I drink 2.5 litres of whole milk a day and eat meat with every single meal, along with a source of carbs and vegetables with every meal. I am the healthiest I have ever been in my life. I used to weigh 117lb before I started eating properly.

(I also take multivitamins everyday, I have the most complete diet you can imagine. Screw veganism).
Screw you, that's why you got banned from fitness.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Gancor)
Soya, yay lets give our children high amounts of food containing phytoestrogens and screw their hormones, giving our son gynecomastia.
Is that the Irish study, there is only a slight effect on homones. So soya isn't a problem, but you have a right to highlight the current debate about soya. Also I already had moobs before I became vegan, I don't care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.36%
Not great so far... (229)
35.39%
I want to drop out! (126)
19.47%

Watched Threads