Last edited by Markbcb18; 4 days ago
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Markbcb18)
Hello,

So throughout my Econonomics UG I had some "issues". Partied a lot and was very unfocused. scored 47% First year, 55% Second year, and 65% Final year. Graduated with a 2:1.

I want to apply for MRes Economics at Bath mainly because I love economics and I really liked doing my Dissertation for which I scored 71% and think I prefer the research side of things.

When writing my personal statement, should I try spin a narrative explaining why I'm suited despite some sub par academic performance? What would be the best way to do so?

Thanks
Your overall score is a 2.1 so I wouldn't worry about it at all. Let your referee talk about grades in their reference and focus your PS on why you want to do the course and why you are suited for it in terms of skills and experience.
Markbcb18
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
Your overall score is a 2.1 so I wouldn't worry about it at all. Let your referee talk about grades in their reference and focus your PS on why you want to do the course and why you are suited for it in terms of skills and experience.
Thanks for your reply. I didnt really build up any significant relationships with my lecturers since they have a lot of people to get through and I could find the answers I needed else where. Can I still ask any of them for a academic reference? I would say the one who knows me the most would be my dissertation supervisor who I met with twice. She marked my dissertation and gave me a high grade

Thank you.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for your reply. I didnt really build up any significant relationships with my lecturers since they have a lot of people to get through and I could find the answers I needed else where. Can I still ask any of them for a academic reference? I would say the one who knows me the most would be my dissertation supervisor who I met with twice. She marked my dissertation and gave me a high grade

Thank you.
Yes that’s fine though they may not be particularly strong. You may want to meet with them or ring them beforehand.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Markbcb18
Rep:
?
Last edited by Markbcb18; 4 days ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you. Not looking likely that I'll get accepted then I guess . Since I think my supervisor will point out a few weak points
Don't make excuses, just describe your 'clear upward trajectory as you came to terms with living away from home and the level of self-management and self-study required at university". Everyone will know you mean "I p*ssed about for two years then bucked up" and that's how it was, so that's fine.
Markbcb18
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Don't make excuses, just describe your 'clear upward trajectory as you came to terms with living away from home and the level of self-management and self-study required at university". Everyone will know you mean "I p*ssed about for two years then bucked up" and that's how it was, so that's fine.
Love this ahahaha
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you. Not looking likely that I'll get accepted then I guess . Since I think my supervisor will point out a few weak points
They can’t write negative things bug if they don’t know you well the ref won’t come across as strong.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.49%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.85%
Terrified (381)
22.23%
Meh (169)
9.86%
Confused (37)
2.16%