The Student Room Group

Whats the point in having a career?

Most people don't like working and enjoy their days off so why get a career where you have responsibility and it becomes a major part of your life? As for the money well is there really that much difference in pay between most unqualified jobs and qualified? Remember theres the responsibilty and more brain work. You lose out on 3 years + worth of money by studying, is the best life not to live with parents for as long as possible while working in a £6.50 p/h job and saving up? I mean a jobs a job and most people can't wait until the day is over. Won't you enjoy life more this way? Discuss :p:

Scroll to see replies

For me the difference between a job and a career is that a career means that your job will progress and change over tiem which takes away the boredom factor as well

Obviously it means more money and probably more stress, which si why I am not too bothered about progressing right to the top - but it is good to know your job CAN lead soemwhere else.
Reply 2
So you can boast at reunions :smile:
there's no point getting a career.
I never intend to have a carrer.

I intend to have a vocation.
lol quite a lot of point really!
im hoping to do maths at uni next year and the average lifetime extra pay for a maths grad is £240,000 i think!
your gonna tell me £240,000 is nothing???
Compare that to the expenditure whilst at uni, im thinking £24k - 27k
thats a "profit" of £213k - 216k
Gemma_08
So you can boast at reunions :smile:

yes, hence why my mum isn't going to hers.

and job is more of a responisibility. you do it because you have to. because we have stuff we need to buy and in the future lives we need to support and possibly even families to support. whereas a career...well it has that responsibily factor, but you don't have to do it. most unqualified people will jump at any job just to have the money, whereas a qualified person may find it a lot easier, and get a job they get true satisfaction out of (other than the wage). so there isn't that idea that you HAVE to do that job and that there are so many different career paths you can jump from
Reply 6
£6.50 ph
vs
£65,000p.a+

hmm...
Reply 7
Oh yea I forgot about the debt that has to be paid back. See the way I see a career is that once you start training to be something you have more or less signed your life away to that job, you are not as free to try different things and a bit of everything as you are when you have no career. Im scared of aiming for a career in case I won't like it and will have wasted time.
Reply 8
Bagration
£6.50 ph
vs
£65,000p.a+

hmm...

Common what percent of people with a career get that? Qualified nurses are on about £22 000 - £25 000. My dads only a postman and is on nearly £11 an hour.
Don't then.

Extra salt on the chips for later, okay?
sometimes i think the same way, but i'd rather not be paid by the hour when im 40.
installedpear
there's no point getting a career.
I never intend to have a carrer.

I intend to have a vocation.

I agree Wil, I just wish it was that easy. :p:
Reply 12
I kinda agree, although i would prefer a career and education, i can understand why someone would just want a job and do as little work as possible. In terms of money what's it going to get you? An expensive car, house and all that bs. I don't mean living like a bum but i wouldn't devote my life to work for money. The reason for preferring a career is because it's worthwhile and i'd enjoy it more.
Reply 13
saturn
Most people don't like working and enjoy their days off so why get a career where you have responsibility and it becomes a major part of your life? As for the money well is there really that much difference in pay between most unqualified jobs and qualified? Remember theres the responsibilty and more brain work. You lose out on 3 years + worth of money by studying, is the best life not to live with parents for as long as possible while working in a £6.50 p/h job and saving up? I mean a jobs a job and most people can't wait until the day is over. Won't you enjoy life more this way? Discuss :p:

Some people are lucky enough to do a job they enjoy and one that they want to gain greater responsibility and with that, some extra money.

Think of this - Do you want to be a 60 year old person, unable to afford to retire and unable to get a job at anything much above minimum wage? No doubt if you do find a job you'll be taking orders from a 20-something graduate who is earning more than you??? Because if you have no ambition to progress a job into a career then that is a very possible prospect. A career with a big company brings things such as pensions and early retirement, something you may not think about now but things you will wish you had though about when the time comes...
I dont plan on having a career.

I plan on working any way possible to earn enough money to cover costs, while getting my enjoyment and satisfaction by seeing friends, meeting people, running my record label, putting on gigs, co-operative living, campaign and voluntary work. Earning money is a necessity, not a way of life.
Personally, I can't be happy without being able to afford the luxuries in life. Only a career can help me do that. Plus, I don't think why it should be a problem when I really enjoy the career I'm going into.

Trust me, it's better to go through life with some kind of career plan than just drifting around.
Reply 16
saturn
is the best life not to live with parents for as long as possible while working in a £6.50 p/h job and saving up? I mean a jobs a job and most people can't wait until the day is over. Won't you enjoy life more this way? Discuss :p:

No; the best life is to live for yourself, and to have a career that you actually enjoy.
Reply 17
prodriven
Some people are lucky enough to do a job they enjoy and one that they want to gain greater responsibility and with that, some extra money.

Think of this - Do you want to be a 60 year old person, unable to afford to retire and unable to get a job at anything much above minimum wage? No doubt if you do find a job you'll be taking orders from a 20-something graduate who is earning more than you??? Because if you have no ambition to progress a job into a career then that is a very possible prospect. A career with a big company brings things such as pensions and early retirement, something you may not think about now but things you will wish you had though about when the time comes...

That may be true but don't you think its just part of the years of brain washing (can't think of another word) from parents and teachers? I mean we haven't even reached that stage and still have very little experience of the reality in life. I remember at high school the teachers constantly going on about how the 2 weeks work experience and GCSE results in the final year will more or less make the difference between being a poor looser and a wealthy success! My results have not got me anywhere only into college but some of those who got poor results got in. Then there was the pressure to get A levels and go to university these days young people are almost encouraged not to work no wonder some go to university just to doss about. Then you leave with a degree and the reality is for a lot of graduates is they can't get a job! Its hard to judge what our situation will be when we are 60 and by then those who had careers might not be any better off than those who didn't. Who knows as crazy as it sounds they might introduce a benefit for those on a low pension and this might result in them being better off than those who earned good money all their lives lol. I think society, like with everything else, over hypes the benefits of getting a career but I admit I might be wrong as Ive not reached that age myself yet.
Reply 18
It's about doing something that you enjoy, so that you do not have to wish the shift away. Getting up in the morning, happy to go to work. Having a nice home, car, etc. It's not difficult to understand really.
The debt and uni costs amount to nothing in the overall scheme of things, it doesn't take a genius to work that out.

Some people are happy living average lives with average pay. Some people can have a career and enjoy it whilst earning more money than the people who just have ordinary jobs.

Having a good career is seen as successful for a reason...It's better!

Latest

Trending

Trending