Is it possible to study online and travel the world? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I've been thinking about what I want to do after my A-levels, and I'm stuck between going to uni or travelling, but I thought maybe I could do both? Is this possible? Any advice would be great, thanks.
Lyd321
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in the same boat! I really want to travel too but don't want to miss out on gaining a qualification, I also don't want to be left behind as all of my friends are going to uni this September :/

I saw an advert on UCAS the other day about a company called Global Grad i did some research into it and it lets you study and travel at the same time, maybe give it a look?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you heard of Minerva? From what I've read though sketchy, if you have the money it could be something to look into. Otherwise, gap year and year abroad at a UK uni is always safer options.
Anonymous #1
Yeah I've heard of Minerva, but it seems very expensive and a bit sketchy! Year abroad at UK uni doesn't seem that great tbh, just stuck in another city for a year. I think I'd prefer going to lots of different places throughout the year. Thank you though!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Have you heard of Minerva? From what I've read though sketchy, if you have the money it could be something to look into. Otherwise, gap year and year abroad at a UK uni is always safer options.
Yeah I've heard of Minerva, but it seems very expensive and a bit sketchy! Year abroad at UK uni doesn't seem that great tbh, just stuck in another city for a year. I think I'd prefer going to lots of different places throughout the year. Thank you though!
Globetrotter97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My friend mentioned Global Grad to me the other day!! It seems legit and more affordable compared to other travel/study programmes around. I ordered their brochure which was super helpful
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I've been thinking about what I want to do after my A-levels, and I'm stuck between going to uni or travelling, but I thought maybe I could do both? Is this possible? Any advice would be great, thanks.
It is if you have enough money.
You dont say what your time frames or objectives are.
Are you expecting to do a degree?
Are you expecting to be paying yourself?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lyd321)
I'm in the same boat! I really want to travel too but don't want to miss out on gaining a qualification, I also don't want to be left behind as all of my friends are going to uni this September :/

I saw an advert on UCAS the other day about a company called Global Grad i did some research into it and it lets you study and travel at the same time, maybe give it a look?
(Original post by Globetrotter97)
My friend mentioned Global Grad to me the other day!! It seems legit and more affordable compared to other travel/study programmes around. I ordered their brochure which was super helpful
Thanks! I've just checked out their website and it looks amazing! They don't seem to provide courses, can I study a degree with Arden whilst travelling with them? Seen that theres lots of volunteering opportunities as well which would be so expensive to do otherwise!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
It is if you have enough money.
You dont say what your time frames or objectives are.
Are you expecting to do a degree?
Are you expecting to be paying yourself?
So I want to do an online degree in Business with Arden University, starting in October. I would be paying for my tuition fees with my student loan, but would pay for the travel by working and saving up, maybe a bit of help from my parents also. My goals are basically to get a degree, develop my personal skills and motivation through travelling, and build my CV.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
So I want to do an online degree in Business with Arden University, starting in October. I would be paying for my tuition fees with my student loan, but would pay for the travel by working and saving up, maybe a bit of help from my parents also. My goals are basically to get a degree, develop my personal skills and motivation through travelling, and build my CV.
I am not sure SFE will allow that if you are considering travelling outside the UK, although ofc you dont have to tell them.
I would do one thing or the other. You are in danger of not having your degree taken seriously imo.
Honestly it sounds a bit self indulgent and I would do one thing or the other.
What grades are you expecting from your A levels?

Get your results, see if they are good enough, then either retake or just work hard for a year to save as much money as you can. Arden and the alternative of a brick uni will always be there. Review things after a gap.
Dont mess up student finance you have a very limited amount.

That is what I would do.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
I am not sure SFE will allow that if you are considering travelling outside the UK, although ofc you dont have to tell them.
I would do one thing or the other. You are in danger of not having your degree taken seriously imo.
Honestly it sounds a bit self indulgent and I would do one thing or the other.
What grades are you expecting from your A levels?

Get your results, see if they are good enough, then either retake or just work hard for a year to save as much money as you can. Arden and the alternative of a brick uni will always be there. Review things after a gap.
Dont mess up student finance you have a very limited amount.

That is what I would do.
My permanent residency would still be in the UK so its completely fine in terms of SFE. I doubt I'm in danger of my degree not being taken seriously, Arden is a reputable online university and I can't see any way travelling could take away from that?

In what way would this be self-indulgent? I would be simply making the most of my time by studying, travelling and building my CV, rather than taking the same route as everyone else and getting lost in the masses who have gone straight to a traditional university and spent three years doing very little outside of that.

I'm expecting AAB in my A-levels
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
My permanent residency would still be in the UK so its completely fine in terms of SFE. I doubt I'm in danger of my degree not being taken seriously, Arden is a reputable online university and I can't see any way travelling could take away from that?

In what way would this be self-indulgent? I would be simply making the most of my time by studying, travelling and building my CV, rather than taking the same route as everyone else and getting lost in the masses who have gone straight to a traditional university and spent three years doing very little outside of that.

I'm expecting AAB in my A-levels
OK. Gl with it.
I would check with sfe, but you seem to know what you are doing.
You should check whether you get just fees only as well.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (137)
13.52%
Excited (92)
9.08%
Worried (190)
18.76%
Terrified (230)
22.7%
Meh (78)
7.7%
Confused (27)
2.67%