Alcoholic Father Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
My dad has always drunk a lot but over the past few months it seems to have spiralled out of control. He starts drinking in the morning and drinks all day. Im away at uni now so i cant really watch what he drinks but every time i have come home recently it has just been fights and tears even though we used to get on really well. I realised this is because of his drinking.

the thing is I am his only child, he doesnt have a girlfriend/wife or many friends really. I just dont know what to do because he wont even admit to the problem. When I brought it up today he became really aggressive (not violent but aggressively behavious) when he is usually really calm and gentle and i have noticed this aggressive behaviour becoming more and more frequent. He just says "Im bored" and "you dont know what ive been through" even though he wont tell me what hes been through. He is always saying that he knows he drinks but thats just him and he is ok. But I just feel like these are all excuses for his drinking and that there are serious health problems.

I know this isnt that big a deal because he isnt violent or anything and a lot of people have a lot worse at home. I just feel really helpless and upset because I dont know what to do and I feel like it is all on my shoulders to. Is there anything I should go about doing or anything I can do to try and control his drinking.
Plato123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are there any other family members willing to help/ know about the situation? You should send him to rehabilitation centre (if you can afford it, maybe you can gather money from members of family to fund) or Alcohol councelling.
Alternatively, you can try and solve the cause of his problem which has caused the alcoholism. Although that is difficult, try and get help from family / professionals.
lincs_b
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Until he'll admit he has a problem there isn't much you can do, no-one will offer him help at this stage. The best thing I think you can do is sit down or write him a letter and pour your heart out. Tell him your scared for his health, you really care about him and that it is excessive to drink that amount. It may not work but I don't think you can do much else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads