Was anyone here adopted? Watch

avalanche
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Just wondered, Ive been adopted since birth I think.
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No but there was a period where I lived in foster care, which I guess is not the same cause I lived with my birth mother before that, and I still do now...
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you think youve been adopted
or you think it was since birth?

im confused
angelia
Report 11 years ago
No
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My mum got married when she was very young to someone her father approved of but my mum didn't even love. Turned out he took loads of drugs and had some sort of mental illness and was very violent. My mum took my brother when he was a few months old and left him. She then met my dad a year or so later and he eventually adopted my brother as his son. So I guess you could say my brother is adopted partially.
k823127
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You think you've been adopted from birth?? Surely you know or you don't.

No but my brother tells me on a regular occasion that i am an adopted child from Peru-how that one works out i do not know.
beckiestar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by k823127)

No but my brother tells me on a regular occasion that i am an adopted child from Peru-how that one works out i do not know.
I think she means that she is adopted and that she thinks it was from birth - rather than from a year old or something. That's what I understood her post to mean!

I'm not adopted - spent a long time in foster care though.

So it's not the same thing at all - but still feels a bit odd at times.
Downesey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lemily)
My mum got married when she was very young to someone her father approved of but my mum didn't even love. Turned out he took loads of drugs and had some sort of mental illness and was very violent. My mum took my brother when he was a few months old and left him. She then met my dad a year or so later and he eventually adopted my brother as his son. So I guess you could say my brother is adopted partially.
This is very similar to my story. My mum had me with a guy i dnt even know the name of. When i was 3 she had enough (same thing, violence, but no drugs) and left. About a year later my mum met my "step dad" however i call him my dad. A year after she met him he proposed, thats when i started calling him dad. Another year later they married and my dad adopted me, i have never thought as being adopted because my bio-father wasnt my dad. The man my mother married is my dad, no question
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Downesey)
This is very similar to my story. My mum had me with a guy i dnt even know the name of. When i was 3 she had enough (same thing, violence, but no drugs) and left. About a year later my mum met my "step dad" however i call him my dad. A year after she met him he proposed, thats when i started calling him dad. Another year later they married and my dad adopted me, i have never thought as being adopted because my bio-father wasnt my dad. The man my mother married is my dad, no question
That is exactly as my brother and I see it. My brother does not talk nor care about his bio-dad, has always called our dad 'Dad' etc. A dad is the person who brings you up, who has an influence on your life and who you become, not the person who lent you their genes. I see him as my full brother rather than a half brother if you like. I think family has very little to do with blood ties and would happily adopt as well.
Downesey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lemily)
That is exactly as my brother and I see it. My brother does not talk nor care about his bio-dad, has always called our dad 'Dad' etc. A dad is the person who brings you up, who has an influence on your life and who you become, not the person who lent you their genes. I see him as my full brother rather than a half brother if you like. I think family has very little to do with blood ties and would happily adopt as well.

Wow that sounds exactly like my family. I have 2 sisters, nd it never occurs to us that were not really related by much, because it doesnt matter. It may sound wierd but its as if nothing happened 15 yrs ago, like my dads my dad nd my sisters annoy me :-P lol
moonbeam08
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by k823127)

my sister told me that once lmao
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My aunt was adopted by my grandparents at birth, they already had a child (my dad) but wanted to adopt another.
newDana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My younger sister and brother are adopted (they're real brother and sister). My mum couldn't have any more children. They came to live with us at age 1 and 2, i was 5. They'd been in 8 different foster homes before they came to us and were advertised in the newspaper! They've both got special needs due to foetal alcohol syndrome - if you need persuading not to drink during pregnancy, then you just need to meet my brother. He's adorable, but VERY hard work, his brain damage is severs. My sister's brain damage is less severe, and with her it simply presents as unintelligence rather than obvious brain damage.

It's been hard work tbh, but i love them both and wouldn't have had my life any other way. Even though it meant that i was no longer the youngest and i definitely didn't get as much attention growing up as i would have done had they not come to us.

Strangely, my sister looks more like my mum than i do. If ppl know that my mum adopted a daughter they always assume it's me.
Ang|ophi|e
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I haven't actually been adopted, but when I was younger my parents used to joke around saying I was.
Meliae
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wasn't, but a few of my cousins were adopted when they were aged around 1-3 I think by my aunties and uncles. I don't know too much about it though as they're all quite a lot older than me so it was long before I was born.

I used to think my brother was adopted though because he's left handed with blonde hair while the rest of us are right handed with brown hair. He looks just like my dad did though when he was younger. We were looking at my dad's old school photo once and my brother came in and thought it was him. (My dad was also blonde when he was young but his hair turned brown).
The_Professor
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ye im adopted. Found out a month ago. Real parents are from Mongolia.
xBillyBrownx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Downesey)
Awww
life is beautiful
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ang|ophi|e)
I haven't actually been adopted, but when I was younger my parents used to joke around saying I was.
yup ditto :dito: when ever i was Mischievous (in childhood not now cause now i am 18:cool: ) even my parents would tell me that i was adopted for jokes
FrenchGal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My godfather and his wife adopted their three kids because they couldn't have any children. My cousins are originally from Bresil. They are now 20, 17 and 14 (or so, can't remember their actual ages!!) and they make life a living hell to their parents - not studying, smoking pot, being expelled from every school around, hitting their parents... If I ever think about adopting, i'll have to consider it very carfeully after seeing that...
zandiana jones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Me and my three sisters are all adopted.

We were removed because my parents were unfit parents. My dad use to beat me up. I remember being thrown down stairs and being hit over the head with a broom. He never hit any of my other sisters. He always picked on me. The only thing I could think of why he hit me when I was little, was because I had really light blonde hair and all my sisters have brown .

I'm the eldest, we were taken away from my biological parents when I was 7. I got adopted when I was 8.

Me and one of my sisters were adopted by the same couple. My other two weren't, they both have seperate parents. I get to see one of them alot and we talk on MSN, but my other I haven't seen since I was 14, I haven't heard from her either. Her parents didn't want us to have contact.

I've had moments - I've gone through self distruction periods (I've self harmed), gone through depression but I'm getting on good now. I have a good life, (although I wish my adoptive parents weren't so over protective) I'm happy, and so are the rest of my sisters. I love my parents, and I'm glad I was placed with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (140)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
27.01%
Not great so far... (281)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.36%

Watched Threads