QUESTIONS I HAVE FOR Y11s? Watch

Notkya
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
I’m going into Y11 and I have a few questions before I start that only Y11 pupils would know. I hope this gets popular so we can help other upcoming Y11s!

1. What stationary should I have?
2. Do you need a notebook to write notes in class?
3. When should I revise?
4. Would u say you had enough time to revise?
5. Are the tests actually hard?
6. How easy is it to get into your chosen 6 form/college
7. How did you motivate yourselves?
8. On a scale of 1-10 how stressful is it?
9. Is there anything I should do to prepare now?
10. Over all tips and advice
11. Finally, did you enjoy it?

Thanks❤️❤️
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Exiiilo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1. Pens, pencil, rubber, compass, ruler, calculator and protractor
2. No
3. Christmas if youre smart and October half term if you're stupid. (Only if you want 9s though)
4. No because I left it until Easter because it's easy
5. If you know the info, the tests are easy but be aware of time management.
6. Most colleges aren't hard to get into
7. Just think of opening the results and getting 9s
8. 10 if you haven't revised and care
6 if you have revised but not fully
4 if you know all the info
0 if you don't care about GCSEs
9. No enjoy your summer
10. Overall don't sweat it. Work hard and you'll get good grades. Don't work and you won't. Do the work for yourself and not for anyone else.
11. Obviously not. The exams are stupid no matter how smart or dumb you are
Last edited by Exiiilo; 1 week ago
cloud_9_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Exiiilo)
10. Wtf does this mean
think he meant overall tips and advice
Exiiilo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cloud_9_)
think he meant overall tips and advice
Thanks
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1) A full pencil case and a standard maths set
2) If you want to. Your school lined books should be enough tbh.
3) Doing small bits throughout the year is the best thing, but the critical moments are 2 months before mocks and the actual GCSEs.
4) No, because I was stupid and left it last minute. Don’t be like me.
5) Depends. It’s a 50-50. I found some of my hardest subjects easy and my easy subjects challenging. It depends how lucky you get and how efficiently you work.
6) It depends on the requirements for your desired place. It can be easy if the requirements are low. Make sure you apply to one aspiring, one stable and one slightly lower.
7) I made a motivation envelope to remind me why I’m studying. I want to be a lawyer, so I filled it with world events I found upsetting and quotes that inspired me. Sounds dumb but it helped me.
8) If you do enough work throughout the year and keep on top of thing, it’s about a 6 or a 7.
9) Go over Year 10 topics because it’s highly unlikely you’ll get to revise them in class again.
Make all your revision materials for Year 10 content now and if you get extra time, you can read on into Year 11 content so you’re prepared,
DO NOT overwork yourself, allow yourself to recharge because holidays in Year 11 are not fully chill.
10) Follow everyone above and below’s advice.
Don’t panic, you’ll do well!
11) Yes. It was worth it in the end.
vickyhale
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi my love, I’ve just finished year 11 & going into sixth form now (I stayed on at my upper school so it was relatively easy to confirm a place as long as I got the entry requirements)

1) As long as you have your basics you’re fine, I wouldn’t go OTT until you get to a levels. Just have pens/pencils/rubber/sharpener/sci calc (Casio is the one most people get but there’s alternatives/ compass/protractor/ruler/ aaaanndd personally I’d get some highlighters. If you like having nice looking notes I’d recommend them & also generally for finding key info etc. It depends on how you like your notes but I colour code my headings for main sections & subsections.

2) No, however I’d say because you tend to do a lot of other work in class I would just condense the important stuff into revision cards/a separate notebook at home. GET BINDERS!! Not necessarily nowww but they’re so useful for when it comes to exam time. I had loads of plastic wallets in my binders and split them into sections which I put my revision cards for that topic into & then that would be the binder for a certain subject. I also wrote what topics where for what papers inside the binder so I knew what I had to cover for certain exams. Being aware of what’s coming really helps, know what’s covered on upcoming papers, one of those countdown exam apps are super good too.

3) It majorly depends on how capable you are & whether you focus in lessons. Ngl I left it waaayyy too last minute but got my ass into gear & knew what techniques to use to condense & remember things effectively in short periods of time which carried through quite well for me. It’s annoying though bc if I’d started revising the same time as everyone else I probably could’ve got top marks but you never know! I think I still did quite well I hope😬 guess I’ll have to see if I pulled it out the bag n find out just hoowww effective that revision was 😭 I would like to mention I did do CRAZY unhealthy hours though DO NOT DO THIS. You have the time. You have the teachers to ask questions. The CGP guides give you all the info you need for a 9 it’s just whether you’re able to apply it. A lot of the questions are just common sense once you get your head around how things are worded etc. Practice is ESSENTIAL to exam technique & success. Do loads of past papers. I’d just say start early n see how quickly you can get through topic pages, remember when you start looking through a book the first time you’re teaching yourself, the second time is understanding & the third is envisioning/revising it. Depends how quickly you work. But you can never start too early so if you start waaayyy earlier you can be smart about your time & smash your expectations. Aim for the moon & you might just reach the stars my dad always said like someone above mentioned, start October half term ish. That’s when everyone SAYS they start revising & no one did until like February, yikes.
5) personally I thought they were a piece of piss but NOT KNOWING THE STUFF MAKES IT HARD. Even just having a vague idea of the stuff a question is asking can give you some marks as opposed to none if you use common sense. I cannot stress this enough, if you go into the exam thinking you will fail, you will fail. Even when you know nothing just looking at the questions w a fresh mindset can give you a substantially better grade.
6) like I said above I stayed at my school bc I didn’t go to a high school so had a definite place. Can’t give advice there unfortunately
7) the only thing that’s ever gotten me through actually anything in my life is the fact I know if I do well in education I can go far in life, it has been my motivator for years now. I’d say give yourself little constant reminders of your goal, for me I’m gonna stick my prospectus for Imperial/Cambridge on my desk or a photo of unis I want to go to as a reminder that that is what I’m working for. A lot of it is willpower as well, there’s some days you really REALLY don’t want to work but small things like watching a study youtuber or tedtalk can get you back in the zone. If you struggle w procrastinating like me, do the smallest thing, doesn’t matter whether it’s just simply looking at a book, you’ve at least done something that day to kill the procrastination cycle.
8) It doesn’t really sink in until a week/couple days before they start, first few exams I was completely bricking it n then after that I was okay, you just go in & do your thing. I will say the more practice you do the more you suss out what the exams will be like & the less it will phase you. Ahaha.. how stressful was it for me at peak exam period tho? 11/10
9) just make sure you’re in the right headspace to knuckle down & not dawdle, if you want to apply for say medicine or oxford, GCSEs count. Cambridge don’t look at GCSEs as an indicator as much as oxford do but still it sets you apart from the crowd. Really it’s just nice to do the best you possibly can. If you put in the work it will show, trust me
10) I absolutely adore English & always aced the mocks so if you need help I’ll be happy to help you while we’re off for summer. I can help with triple science (aqa) , history (Ocr) & computer science(aqa) too if you take them My Instagram is @vicky._.hale & my Snapchat is vickyhale1 , if you need like a tutoring kinda thing I’d be happy to FaceTime you or something. Education is something that’s extremely important to me & I’ll never turn down helping someone willing to work & try to do their best. You might not do AQA English but I can still help you with the actual specification of questions/exams, writing essays, language,analysing poems & if you happen to study a text i did. Anyone else reading this message too feel free to get in touch with me <3
11) ngl. I really did. I didnt enjoy the absolute torture I put myself through at the end but I genuinely extremely enjoyed the content we learnt. Not so excited for a levels tho ... 😬

Hope that helped at least a little bit & I wish you all the best in your exams
eutrophication1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by vickyhale)
Hi my love, I’ve just finished year 11 & going into sixth form now (I stayed on at my upper school so it was relatively easy to confirm a place as long as I got the entry requirements)

1) As long as you have your basics you’re fine, I wouldn’t go OTT until you get to a levels. Just have pens/pencils/rubber/sharpener/sci calc (Casio is the one most people get but there’s alternatives/ compass/protractor/ruler/ aaaanndd personally I’d get some highlighters. If you like having nice looking notes I’d recommend them & also generally for finding key info etc. It depends on how you like your notes but I colour code my headings for main sections & subsections.

2) No, however I’d say because you tend to do a lot of other work in class I would just condense the important stuff into revision cards/a separate notebook at home. GET BINDERS!! Not necessarily nowww but they’re so useful for when it comes to exam time. I had loads of plastic wallets in my binders and split them into sections which I put my revision cards for that topic into & then that would be the binder for a certain subject. I also wrote what topics where for what papers inside the binder so I knew what I had to cover for certain exams. Being aware of what’s coming really helps, know what’s covered on upcoming papers, one of those countdown exam apps are super good too.

3) It majorly depends on how capable you are & whether you focus in lessons. Ngl I left it waaayyy too last minute but got my ass into gear & knew what techniques to use to condense & remember things effectively in short periods of time which carried through quite well for me. It’s annoying though bc if I’d started revising the same time as everyone else I probably could’ve got top marks but you never know! I think I still did quite well I hope😬 guess I’ll have to see if I pulled it out the bag n find out just hoowww effective that revision was 😭 I would like to mention I did do CRAZY unhealthy hours though DO NOT DO THIS. You have the time. You have the teachers to ask questions. The CGP guides give you all the info you need for a 9 it’s just whether you’re able to apply it. A lot of the questions are just common sense once you get your head around how things are worded etc. Practice is ESSENTIAL to exam technique & success. Do loads of past papers. I’d just say start early n see how quickly you can get through topic pages, remember when you start looking through a book the first time you’re teaching yourself, the second time is understanding & the third is envisioning/revising it. Depends how quickly you work. But you can never start too early so if you start waaayyy earlier you can be smart about your time & smash your expectations. Aim for the moon & you might just reach the stars my dad always said like someone above mentioned, start October half term ish. That’s when everyone SAYS they start revising & no one did until like February, yikes.
5) personally I thought they were a piece of piss but NOT KNOWING THE STUFF MAKES IT HARD. Even just having a vague idea of the stuff a question is asking can give you some marks as opposed to none if you use common sense. I cannot stress this enough, if you go into the exam thinking you will fail, you will fail. Even when you know nothing just looking at the questions w a fresh mindset can give you a substantially better grade.
6) like I said above I stayed at my school bc I didn’t go to a high school so had a definite place. Can’t give advice there unfortunately
7) the only thing that’s ever gotten me through actually anything in my life is the fact I know if I do well in education I can go far in life, it has been my motivator for years now. I’d say give yourself little constant reminders of your goal, for me I’m gonna stick my prospectus for Imperial/Cambridge on my desk or a photo of unis I want to go to as a reminder that that is what I’m working for. A lot of it is willpower as well, there’s some days you really REALLY don’t want to work but small things like watching a study youtuber or tedtalk can get you back in the zone. If you struggle w procrastinating like me, do the smallest thing, doesn’t matter whether it’s just simply looking at a book, you’ve at least done something that day to kill the procrastination cycle.
8) It doesn’t really sink in until a week/couple days before they start, first few exams I was completely bricking it n then after that I was okay, you just go in & do your thing. I will say the more practice you do the more you suss out what the exams will be like & the less it will phase you. Ahaha.. how stressful was it for me at peak exam period tho? 11/10
9) just make sure you’re in the right headspace to knuckle down & not dawdle, if you want to apply for say medicine or oxford, GCSEs count. Cambridge don’t look at GCSEs as an indicator as much as oxford do but still it sets you apart from the crowd. Really it’s just nice to do the best you possibly can. If you put in the work it will show, trust me
10) I absolutely adore English & always aced the mocks so if you need help I’ll be happy to help you while we’re off for summer. I can help with triple science (aqa) , history (Ocr) & computer science(aqa) too if you take them My Instagram is @vicky._.hale & my Snapchat is vickyhale1 , if you need like a tutoring kinda thing I’d be happy to FaceTime you or something. Education is something that’s extremely important to me & I’ll never turn down helping someone willing to work & try to do their best. You might not do AQA English but I can still help you with the actual specification of questions/exams, writing essays, language,analysing poems & if you happen to study a text i did. Anyone else reading this message too feel free to get in touch with me <3
11) ngl. I really did. I didnt enjoy the absolute torture I put myself through at the end but I genuinely extremely enjoyed the content we learnt. Not so excited for a levels tho ... 😬

Hope that helped at least a little bit & I wish you all the best in your exams
You’ve written so much 😱😱
vickyhale
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by eutrophication1)
You’ve written so much 😱😱
Yeah sorry I didn’t quite realise how much there was until I sent it ...
eutrophication1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by vickyhale)
Yeah sorry I didn’t quite realise how much there was until I sent it ...
no need to say sorry :lol:
I do that too 😂😂
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
3. Christmas if youre smart and October half term if you're stupid. (Only if you want 9s though)
erm you can get 9s even if you don't revise during oct half term..plus you wouldn't have even finished the course by then
just revise for your mocks around that time
Exiiilo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mez_merising)
erm you can get 9s even if you don't revise during oct half term..plus you wouldn't have even finished the course by then
just revise for your mocks around that time
Reread what I said. Clearly you didn't get 9s in English language.
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Reread what I said. Clearly you didn't get 9s in English language.
ooops point taken
Morepens
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I just like getting bundles / joblot stationeries off eBay, I get mine from the eBay seller hokejist76 , as I think they work out cheaper , and better quality, depending on the brands , something like this :

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323847474138

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323231726770

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323845419685
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (123)
14.03%
Excited (85)
9.69%
Worried (165)
18.81%
Terrified (201)
22.92%
Meh (63)
7.18%
Confused (25)
2.85%