shankar jan
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This is what it says in my book:

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 106
Size:  385.3 KB

The first bullet point doesn't make sense - it indicates that a G protein and a GTPase enzyme is the same thing. But the diagram highlights that a G protein and the GTPase are two different things.

Could someone please clear this up for me?
Nuttyy
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Wait I'll send from my lecture slides
Last edited by Nuttyy; 2 years ago
Nuttyy
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Name:  20190812_212323-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  79.5 KB

And some pathway examples:

Name:  20190812_212349-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  20190812_212405-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  79.4 KB

---------

Hope it helps!
Chwirkytheappleboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yeah they’re the same thing, although there are loads of different types of G-Proteins, so there might be more than one involved in any given sequence of events
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shankar jan)
This is what it says in my book:

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 106
Size:  385.3 KB

The first bullet point doesn't make sense - it indicates that a G protein and a GTPase enzyme is the same thing. But the diagram highlights that a G protein and the GTPase are two different things.

Could someone please clear this up for me?
G proteins are proteins which have seven transmembrane domains (I.e. they pass through the membrane seven times) and have a GTPase domain. GTPases are proteins capable of hydrolysing GTP to GDP and inorganic phosphate. There are two major classes of G proteins - the large heterotrimeric G proteins (such as Gs, Gi and Gq) and small monomeric G proteins (such as the ras protein).

If you’re keen, Gs proteins activate adenylyl cyclase (which raises intracellular cAMP levels), Gi proteins inhibit adenylyl cyclase (which reduces intracellular cAMP levels) and Gq activated the phosphatidylinositol pathway (which increases levels of calcium in the cell).
shankar jan
Rep:
(Original post by Nuttyy)
Name:  20190812_212323-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  79.5 KB

And some pathway examples:

Name:  20190812_212349-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  20190812_212405-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  79.4 KB

---------

Hope it helps!
Thanks so much!
shankar jan
Rep:
(Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
Yeah they’re the same thing, although there are loads of different types of G-Proteins, so there might be more than one involved in any given sequence of events
Thanks so much!
shankar jan
Rep:
(Original post by Jpw1097)
G proteins are proteins which have seven transmembrane domains (I.e. they pass through the membrane seven times) and have a GTPase domain. GTPases are proteins capable of hydrolysing GTP to GDP and inorganic phosphate. There are two major classes of G proteins - the large heterotrimeric G proteins (such as Gs, Gi and Gq) and small monomeric G proteins (such as the ras protein).

If you’re keen, Gs proteins activate adenylyl cyclase (which raises intracellular cAMP levels), Gi proteins inhibit adenylyl cyclase (which reduces intracellular cAMP levels) and Gq activated the phosphatidylinositol pathway (which increases levels of calcium in the cell).
Thanks so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.33%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
26.87%
No (53)
26.37%
I'm not sure (27)
13.43%

Watched Threads