kookoo_koochoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi,
I start at Leeds university in september this year, and I plan on joining the gym whcih is £90 a year I've been told. I also want to join a swimming pool, so I'm just wondering which is a good one and not too far away from the university itself (I'll be living in Leodis hopefully) so that I can get there quite easily or quickly as I would prefer to walk,
thanks
I Wanna Be Adored
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey! I'm a local person, I think the best thing to do, would to be to go here- http://www.leeds.gov.uk/leisure_and_...d_centres.aspx

There is the international swimming pool in the centre, but it's a dump. You'll get some ace package with Gym and the lot through the council, they're quite good with the discounts actually.
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Oh brilliant, thank you! Do you mean like... scabs flaoting around in the water and stuff that's what nightmares are made of haha.

I'll have a look at the website though thank you very much
TheWizard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well if you believe anything that Wikipedia says (There was no source given on the page and I have heard nothing about it myself) - on the Leeds University page you can find this

"A £20 million spending plan is currently in operation to add facilities, including a 25m, 8 lane swimming pool and a 200 station health and fitness centre which will open in September 2009."

Anyone confirm that - Like I said I'm a current student at Leeds and that quote from Wikipedia was the first I heard of it, interesting (Assuming it's true) to say the least

Edit: Well I guess this confirms it

http://reporter.leeds.ac.uk/press_re...mming_pool.htm

And I apologise it doesn't necessarily answer your question - I wanna be adored did a great job answering it - but it's nice to know that we will be getting such facilities next year !
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheWizard)
Well if you believe anything that Wikipedia says (There was no source given on the page and I have heard nothing about it myself) - on the Leeds University page you can find this

"A £20 million spending plan is currently in operation to add facilities, including a 25m, 8 lane swimming pool and a 200 station health and fitness centre which will open in September 2009."

Anyone confirm that - Like I said I'm a current student at Leeds and that quote from Wikipedia was the first I heard of it, interesting (Assuming it's true) to say the least

Edit: Well I guess this confirms it

http://reporter.leeds.ac.uk/press_re...mming_pool.htm

And I apologise it doesn't necessarily answer your question - I wanna be adored did a great job answering it - but it's nice to know that we will be getting such facilities next year !

Yeahh I heard about this but my boyf said - he's in leeds as well, that it'll open in likefive years n they are only starting work on it this year, which is poor!!

I see you're from Cleethorpes.. I'm frm Grimsby! How fun haha.
I Wanna Be Adored
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kookoo_koochoo)
Oh brilliant, thank you! Do you mean like... scabs flaoting around in the water and stuff that's what nightmares are made of haha.

I'll have a look at the website though thank you very much
It's really quite funny, it was built to host big events. Unfortunately, it's around a foot (or some daft figure) too short, which means it's totally useless. Even from the outside it looks pretty bad, the facilities at Kirkstall are quite nice and new (ish).
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by I Wanna Be Adored)
It's really quite funny, it was built to host big events. Unfortunately, it's around a foot (or some daft figure) too short, which means it's totally useless. Even from the outside it looks pretty bad, the facilities at Kirkstall are quite nice and new (ish).
That's actually just stupid. Hmm isn't kirkstall pretty far away though?
I Wanna Be Adored
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's actually just stupid. Hmm isn't kirkstall pretty far away though?
Not really, I think there's quite a lot of student types around Kirkstall. 1.8 miles from Headingley to Kirkstall according to AA. It's a short distance to avoid swimming with toe nails, bloody plasters and used condoms.
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by I Wanna Be Adored)
Not really, I think there's quite a lot of student types around Kirkstall. 1.8 miles from Headingley to Kirkstall according to AA. It's a short distance to avoid swimming with toe nails, bloody plasters and used condoms.
LOL ew. But thank you I will have a look at that place for sure
TheWizard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeahh I heard about this but my boyf said - he's in leeds as well, that it'll open in likefive years n they are only starting work on it this year, which is poor!!

I see you're from Cleethorpes.. I'm frm Grimsby! How fun haha.
Well according to wikipedia it says it will be open in September 2009 (Personally I think this date is a little ambitious but who knows )

And it's nice to see a fellow north east lincolnshire person around here, that's two people in as many days who have informed me they're from Grimsby! It really is a small world :rolleyes:
stacey4415
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I believe the international pool has shut down now, but they have random council run pools dotted around, i know one in Halton Moor, but i wouldn't recommend going, Halton Moor is a scary place
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Well... I will have to have a look when I get there I think haha, I wish they just had one attached to the uni gym it makes sense really... but thanks everyone for the info I really appreciate it
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yep the international has shut down. The nearest is probably Kirkstall. There's one in Pudsey but that's pretty far. One in Scott Hall, one in Gipton/Seacroft (Fearneville Leisure Centre)....possibly some others I don't remember.

You could always join a private leisure centre. One in Headingley (The Village), or one in Meanwood/Ring Road area (David Lloyd Centre) and again several others.
accomoffice
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Isn't there still one at Holt Park? That'd be handy for Bodington, Oxley or anywhere off Woodhouse Lane/Headingley Lane/Otley Road.
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh yeh there is one at Holt Park I think - in the shopping centre where Asda is.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Im pretty sure the one they are building is going to be attached to the uni gym, I remember seeing the architects sketch in the sports centre last year and it looked an impressive development...
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Ahhh cheers guys!! I've not seen Holt Park yet actually, I'll have a look how far out it is, the one near Meanwood road sounds ideal though cos I suppose Leodis is somewhat near there. thank you
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ahhh cheers guys!! I've not seen Holt Park yet actually, I'll have a look how far out it is, the one near Meanwood road sounds ideal though cos I suppose Leodis is somewhat near there. thank you
don't forget it's private though so bound to be pricey
fake plastic love
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It'll be really cool having one on campus. Maybe that will actually encourage me to join the gym, lol.
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
don't forget it's private though so bound to be pricey
Hoho, yeah I'll need to look into it, cos I was planning on joining the uni's own gym which is such a good price really... fools not having a pool yet. All the ones I looked at are £3.50 each which is a joke if I want to go three times at least a week... and membership would be costly as well. I'll have to see, thanks for reminding me though lol.

I hope everyone who is saying the pool opens next year is right though !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads