Struggling to find a job - Plant/natural product pharmacology Watch

tea_and_crumpets
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey all,

I'm coming up to the end of my MSc in Medicinal Natural Products and Phytochemistry. I've been searching for months now for a job even remotely in my field (ideally based in London but anywhere in the UK will do) and I can't find a single thing that doesn't want a PhD - whether a job in natural product science or generally in pharmacology. I do want to do a PhD but currently don't have the money for it and can't get financial aid because I don't qualify/can't rely on my family. The idea would be to work for a few years to save enough money to do one, but I am desperate for whatever job I have to be at least remotely in my field. I'm on my third degree now (previously Biomedical Sciences and Psychology) and not using them feels like a giant waste.

Any advice as to where I could look/what I could do would be really appreciated. I'm so damn passionate about drug discovery but even this many qualifications in I don't seem to have enough.
Johnathan94
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
With respect, you can’t really expect your psychology degree to open drug discovery doors. I work in that field and on top of my science qualifications, I have an English Lit degree, but I don’t expect it to carry much flavour when I go to biotech/pharma interviews.

That said, I understand your frustration. Why wouldn’t a PhD be an option for you given that it comes with a stipend? But beyond that, have you thought of putting your biomed degree to use and applying for trainee/BMS1 vacancies? This would give you a chance to make a decent salary for a few years and give you some skills that would strengthen a PhD application.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.78%
Terrified (382)
22.2%
Meh (172)
9.99%
Confused (37)
2.15%