Civil service confusion Watch

Lockthedoor
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all! I'm looking for a clarification regarding a recent interview I've had with the civil service.

I got an email congratulating me for passing the interview. However, the email continued by saying that they were unable to offer me immediately the job, as they are still interviewing until early September. I've tried to ask for a clarification as to what that means for my candidacy, but the reply I got was pretty unclear still.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? Does it mean I still need to look for a job, or can I rest assured that there will be a job for me in September?

Needless to say this all process is driving me a little bit insane with anxiety.

Thank you for the help!
adsefe
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What job is this for? What scores did you get?
Lockthedoor
Rep:
?
(Original post by adsefe)
What job is this for? What scores did you get?
Hi adsefe. Its a grade 7 senior policy advisor, recruited through cabinet office. I dont currently know what my score is, as the online portal hasnt been updated. All i got was an email congratulating me and explaining the situation...
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If they are interviewing say 50 people for 5 vacancies then they will always wait until the interviews are all concluded to decide who gets the jobs. Suitability is not a guarantee of a job offer. You may end up on a reserve list. The Civil Service are notorious for making people wait.
Lockthedoor
Rep:
?
(Original post by nutz99)
If they are interviewing say 50 people for 5 vacancies then they will always wait until the interviews are all concluded to decide who gets the jobs. Suitability is not a guarantee of a job offer. You may end up on a reserve list. The Civil Service are notorious for making people wait.
Thank you nutz99. So basically it's still a fairly bih question mark, if I understand this correctly - i.e it might well be that by September they will have plenty of candidates who hypothetically have scored higher than me, and i might get put on hold for the foreseeable future? They did ask whether I'd accept a grade below, to which i said yes. So that is maybe an indication that they've had quite a lot of people score higher...?
Jesus, such a convoluted system. And i applied in June for this role, so yeah. Long wait indeed.
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lockthedoor)
Thank you nutz99. So basically it's still a fairly bih question mark, if I understand this correctly - i.e it might well be that by September they will have plenty of candidates who hypothetically have scored higher than me, and i might get put on hold for the foreseeable future? They did ask whether I'd accept a grade below, to which i said yes. So that is maybe an indication that they've had quite a lot of people score higher...?
Jesus, such a convoluted system. And i applied in June for this role, so yeah. Long wait indeed.
It could be at least another month before you hear anything. You might get the job but might go on the reserve list or be offered a lower grade job. It's a risk waiting but it's whether or not you want to take that chance.

This is the way the Civil Service does business unfortunately. Have they even told you if the grade below would be at SEO or HEO level as there is a big pay gap between grade 7 and HEO.
Lockthedoor
Rep:
?
It could be at least another month before you hear anything. You might get the job but might go on the reserve list or be offered a lower grade job. It's a risk waiting but it's whether or not you want to take that chance.

This is the way the Civil Service does business unfortunately. Have they even told you if the grade below would be at SEO or HEO level as there is a big pay gap between grade 7 and HEO.
Yeah I see your point. They said everything should be wrapped up in early September, so that's when I think i will hear back, hopefully. Unfortunately not knowing my score means I cant really predict whether I will get the job immediately or if many other people have scored better than me.

They said it would be SEO. So at least that.

Do you think there's a chance that ultimately nothing will come out of this (i.e. i dont get offered any role at all?) Regardless of when...
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I see your point. They said everything should be wrapped up in early September, so that's when I think i will hear back, hopefully. Unfortunately not knowing my score means I cant really predict whether I will get the job immediately or if many other people have scored better than me.

They said it would be SEO. So at least that.

Do you think there's a chance that ultimately nothing will come out of this (i.e. i dont get offered any role at all?) Regardless of when...
I think it's all guesswork but if they have asked whether you would take a lower grade then they are likely to have asked others who have passed the interview. It's probably a way for them to fill grade 7 and SEO vacancies through the same trawl. If they want you then they will find a role for you, whenever that may be.
Lockthedoor
Rep:
?
I think it's all guesswork but if they have asked whether you would take a lower grade then they are likely to have asked others who have passed the interview. It's probably a way for them to fill grade 7 and SEO vacancies through the same trawl. If they want you then they will find a role for you, whenever that may be.
Right, so I got my marks after the interview. Scored 6,5,5,4 on behaviours, and 19 on strength (though no indication of what strengths were assessed. This brings me to a 39... do I smell a reserve list?
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Right, so I got my marks after the interview. Scored 6,5,5,4 on behaviours, and 19 on strength (though no indication of what strengths were assessed. This brings me to a 39... do I smell a reserve list?
It's a good score but not a great score. It could be positive or negative as you don't know how the other candidates did. I would tend to agree though that reserve list is more likely. Good luck with it.
Captainusa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Definitely good scores. I just started a G7 role in DWP and scored 4s across the board. There weren’t enough suitable candidates to fill all roles either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%