se
Last edited by Lemonlime303; 2 months ago
username4863238
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You have plenty of time to cover the content
Main thing is to understand the topics and make notes from the official textbooks. Once you’ve understood the content memorising becomes much easier. So around April just smash through as many papers lol
For maths do as many text book questions
Biology - understanding content and loads of papers
Chem- understand the content, personally I don’t think you need to do as many past papers as you do for bio but understanding is key
Physics - highly recommend FreeScience lessons for the circuits stuff
Eng - memorise quote and really focus and try hard in lessons tbh you can make essay plans if you need to however if you have the quotes and read the book you’ll be fineeee

We didn’t have media studies at school
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by roseee03)
hello i'm going to be in year 11 in around a months time and I'm unhappy with my end of year 10 exams ( since i was revising for 2 other subjects that i've taken this year) and i know it is my fault and that i could do better but what would help me to get the following grades for the following subjects?
Maths - 8
Physics- 8
Biology- 9
Chemistry- 8
English lit and lang- 6
media studies - 8/7
i would really appreciate it if you could suggest ways to get these grades.
I’m going into Year 11 and got the following in mocks:
Maths-8
Physics-8
Biology-8
Chemistry-7
English Lit-8
English lang-9

For English, I watched Mr Bruff on structuring high level responses and the best tip I found was instead of using PEE paragraphs, use PEE sentences. So instead of writing a paragraph, you could use a sentence like,”The writer solidifies the portrayal of Mr John as a frightening character at the end of the extract with the gripping metaphor of him as a ‘fierce lion’ which is derived further through the use of...”

For maths, I used a two step system, understand and then practice. Once I knew the content and worked my way through the syllabus, I practiced with topic tests and past papers from maths genie. Before I got a 5 in January but in July was able to get an 8.

For Biology and Chemistry, I revised similarly. I created flash cards from the CGP revision guide and made sure I knew required practicals off by heart and had a memorised response to a 6 mark question which would guarantee me the marks.

For physics and C3(Quantitaive Chemistry) I wrote formula triangles on revisions cards and learned these. But mostly I practiced. You can find worksheets online, but you can also use physicsandmathstutor, exampro, educake(if ur school has it). Also making sure you understand the content is EXTREMELY important, given most of the questions in science are application to scenarios

Hope this helped
Lemonlime303
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by eutrophication1)
You have plenty of time to cover the content
Main thing is to understand the topics and make notes from the official textbooks. Once you’ve understood the content memorising becomes much easier. So around April just smash through as many papers lol
For maths do as many text book questions
Biology - understanding content and loads of papers
Chem- understand the content, personally I don’t think you need to do as many past papers as you do for bio but understanding is key
Physics - highly recommend FreeScience lessons for the circuits stuff
Eng - memorise quote and really focus and try hard in lessons tbh you can make essay plans if you need to however if you have the quotes and read the book you’ll be fineeee

We didn’t have media studies at school
aww thanks for taking your time to reply because i really appreciate it and rn i've been taking notes for sciences everyday using freescience lessons ( well i had to skip 2 days because it was some humid weather and wasn't allowed to go into my room ) for maths i use mathswatch and mathsgenie to practiise grade 3-9 questions ( currently doing grade 4 questions) and i wonder if it's really possible of me getting 9s and 8s because i have some really self belief and i'm def going to follow your instructions once again thnank you for that lovely advice xx
Lemonlime303
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by epicnm)
I’m going into Year 11 and got the following in mocks:
Maths-8
Physics-8
Biology-8
Chemistry-7
English Lit-8
English lang-9

For English, I watched Mr Bruff on structuring high level responses and the best tip I found was instead of using PEE paragraphs, use PEE sentences. So instead of writing a paragraph, you could use a sentence like,”The writer solidifies the portrayal of Mr John as a frightening character at the end of the extract with the gripping metaphor of him as a ‘fierce lion’ which is derived further through the use of...”

For maths, I used a two step system, understand and then practice. Once I knew the content and worked my way through the syllabus, I practiced with topic tests and past papers from maths genie. Before I got a 5 in January but in July was able to get an 8.

For Biology and Chemistry, I revised similarly. I created flash cards from the CGP revision guide and made sure I knew required practicals off by heart and had a memorised response to a 6 mark question which would guarantee me the marks.

For physics and C3(Quantitaive Chemistry) I wrote formula triangles on revisions cards and learned these. But mostly I practiced. You can find worksheets online, but you can also use physicsandmathstutor, exampro, educake(if ur school has it). Also making sure you understand the content is EXTREMELY important, given most of the questions in science are application to scenarios

Hope this helped
wow congrats for your mock results they're on FIRE !! Thanks for taking your typing reading and typing out your reply i wholeheartly appreciate it and i love making flashcards and science so those two work out well and thanks for those websites and advice i will definetly take them into account once again thank you so much for your lovely advice i really appreicate it! Good luck with your gcses i hope you get your 9s
username4863238
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by roseee03)
aww thanks for taking your time to reply because i really appreciate it and rn i've been taking notes for sciences everyday using freescience lessons ( well i had to skip 2 days because it was some humid weather and wasn't allowed to go into my room ) for maths i use mathswatch and mathsgenie to practiise grade 3-9 questions ( currently doing grade 4 questions) and i wonder if it's really possible of me getting 9s and 8s because i have some really self belief and i'm def going to follow your instructions once again thnank you for that lovely advice xx
no problem I was getting 5’s too but that was because I never studied :lol:
Best to just highlight and note down key points from the official textbook because freescience lessons doesn’t cover everything
For maths so long as you’ve covered the content then it would be better to do the papers cause if yo don’t get as high it can knock your confidence that’s why understanding it first is good

Anything is possible !!! Just keep your goal in mind stick up notes in your room, stick to your regions plan and you’ll get there

Best of luck x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)