I failed my resit year. Can I go back with compelling personal reasons? Watch

ditnu1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there, I failed my resit year (did not pass 2nd year after 2 attempts).

This was due to a number of reasons, but mostly due to not being at all in the correct frame of mind to continue on with my studies. I have PTSD after some really awful things happened, and was at the time suffering from a lot of depression, anxiety, and all the rest of it etc. because of it.

Since then, I left university and went to live in a very healthy place for a while where I meditated a lot and worked outdoors every day.

This got me into a position where I feel I was given the leg up necessary to get through and finish my degree.

My university basically kicked me out for not handing in enough essays, which was annoying as I was getting 1sts for the stuff I did hand in, and had intended to resit the rest in the summer when there was less stress.

Anyway I'd now like to finally finish the damn thing, but wanted to know if this would count as a compelling personal reason, and if it would, how I would go about putting this into place, ideally for 19/20, but perhaps I could wait another year.

One other thing I'd like to possibly consider is the idea of distance learning, however I have read it is tricky to get maintenance loan/grant for this, which I would need. Unfortunately part of the reason I didn't do so well before was because I become extremely anxious during lectures. I can force myself to go and just about survive it, but it's always a battle. I'd really do better in distance learning I think, but obviously wouldn't be able to support myself (even working part time I couldn't support myself, I'd need to work full time and do a part time course which I don't want to do), so what I'd like to do is have the maintenance grant and then work part time to top up food costs etc.

If anybody had any information about this, that would be great, thanks
SFE Ashley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ditnu1)
Hi there, I failed my resit year (did not pass 2nd year after 2 attempts).

This was due to a number of reasons, but mostly due to not being at all in the correct frame of mind to continue on with my studies. I have PTSD after some really awful things happened, and was at the time suffering from a lot of depression, anxiety, and all the rest of it etc. because of it.

Since then, I left university and went to live in a very healthy place for a while where I meditated a lot and worked outdoors every day.

This got me into a position where I feel I was given the leg up necessary to get through and finish my degree.

My university basically kicked me out for not handing in enough essays, which was annoying as I was getting 1sts for the stuff I did hand in, and had intended to resit the rest in the summer when there was less stress.

Anyway I'd now like to finally finish the damn thing, but wanted to know if this would count as a compelling personal reason, and if it would, how I would go about putting this into place, ideally for 19/20, but perhaps I could wait another year.

One other thing I'd like to possibly consider is the idea of distance learning, however I have read it is tricky to get maintenance loan/grant for this, which I would need. Unfortunately part of the reason I didn't do so well before was because I become extremely anxious during lectures. I can force myself to go and just about survive it, but it's always a battle. I'd really do better in distance learning I think, but obviously wouldn't be able to support myself (even working part time I couldn't support myself, I'd need to work full time and do a part time course which I don't want to do), so what I'd like to do is have the maintenance grant and then work part time to top up food costs etc.

If anybody had any information about this, that would be great, thanks
Hi there,

Can you please confirm how many years of previous study you have done in higher education?

And how long is your course, and what year will you be entering?

Distance learning students are only entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan funding. If distance learning is your only option due to a disability you may also be entitled to the Maintenance Loan funding as well, we would require the following evidence to determine your eligibility:

- Medical evidence from your GP or Consultant confirming your condition prevents you from travelling to/from your university, as well as physically attending.
- Evidence that you have had discussions with multiple universities about the facilities available, accessibility and why the universities cannot accommodate your requirements. This could be in the form of emails/correspondence between you and the universities.
- Written confirmation from you on how your condition impacts your day-to-day life.
- Evidence from you showing how you support yourself financially i.e. benefits/employment.

Thanks, Ashley.
ditnu1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there Ashley,My study so far looks like this:3 year degree, no foundations or anything. (1) First Year completed(2) Second year failed (3) Second year resit failedSo I currently hold a certificate of higher education for completing first year, meaning that I would have two further years to complete on a 3 year course. The university I was attending basically said that as I did not hand enough course work in on my 3rd year (second year resit) that I would have to resit again, and since I have already used my resit that I would not have automatic funding, therefore basically kicked me out, unless I had funding. Thanks
Erin SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ditnu1)
Hi there Ashley,My study so far looks like this:3 year degree, no foundations or anything. (1) First Year completed(2) Second year failed (3) Second year resit failedSo I currently hold a certificate of higher education for completing first year, meaning that I would have two further years to complete on a 3 year course. The university I was attending basically said that as I did not hand enough course work in on my 3rd year (second year resit) that I would have to resit again, and since I have already used my resit that I would not have automatic funding, therefore basically kicked me out, unless I had funding. Thanks
Hi there,

You would need to send in evidence to us to show Compelling Personal Reasons to be eligible for an additional year of funding. We would need evidence such as doctors letters, university letters etc. Would you have evidence to confirm why you had to resit your second year?

Thanks, Erin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.54%
Excited (156)
9.14%
Worried (306)
17.93%
Terrified (379)
22.2%
Meh (167)
9.78%
Confused (37)
2.17%