Have you ever been told you "act white"? Watch

AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
I always get told I act black. I know what acting black is and it's not me. It's more that I'm working class and less so attempting to ****ing be black like wtf?
I thought you were actually black and that pic in your avi is somebody else ngl
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)
I recently lost my **** at someone who is white saying that "they think I sound like a white person". This was mostly stemmed from the fact that I didn't do very "black things". Honestly, I was pissed.

This video comes to mind:

Wait, you are black??? Good on you for standing up for yourself
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
margiekins
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I dont necessarily get comments saying I act white its more like people saying I'm not asian enough or dont act asian like tf does that even mean. Also when I do certain things such as going to a starbucks some people will be like 'oh I didn't realise you were a white girl' I just dont really know how people want me to act tbh
tamil fever
Badges: 18
Report 6 days ago
yeah I have and it confuses me.Like what the hell does it mean to "act white".I'm just behaving the way I want
jay111a
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by margiekins)
I dont necessarily get comments saying I act white its more like people saying I'm not asian enough or dont act asian like tf does that even mean. Also when I do certain things such as going to a starbucks some people will be like 'oh I didn't realise you were a white girl' I just dont really know how people want me to act tbh
who cares how other people want you to act? just do what you want! what makes you happy 😉
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Professional G)
Wait, you are black??? Good on you for standing up for yourself
I am, yes
rose.obrien
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yeah and it annoys me but maybe not how you’d expect it to
I was born and raised in England
By saying I’m ‘white’ they’re saying that everything ive been raised and brought up with is not actually mine to be proud of
I can be of British culture and my ethnicity still be Asian
I’m not that close to my culture and i don’t think there’s anything hugely wrong with that. I know there’s this general consensus that I should have appreciation and pride of my roots, but I just don’t.

Honestly I’m open to others opinions of this cause I often feel ashamed of myself

But yeah currently I believe that calling ppl ‘white’ is kind of rude
Last edited by rose.obrien; 6 days ago
Vashti02
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
this question made me laugh, YES!

I take it as tongue and cheek because if i don't ill end up in prison...lol
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by syrup!)
oml yeah bruv i relate, iss acc a pisstakee
Are you white

(Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry)
what the hell is acting black??
Hey bab,

It's like how we talk ini and maybe dress. :rolleyes: or the music we listen to. Like I go to reggae parties sometimes and dance and people are like I didn't know white guys could lalalala. It's basically the reverse of acting white. Acting white means classy and smart, and acting black means ghetto and tough and dance/athletic ability.
TheYearNiner
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Most of my friends are asian and white so never heard that from them but I've heard similar things
BonsaiColony
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I am a first generation immigrant. I'm bilingual but I have a slight British accent when talking my home language it was the first language I learnt but I'm not very fluent as I forgot so vocab so I simply add English words. There I am abit white washed.
I love food from my home country but I like to explore other countries aswell so I'm white washed there
A lot of 'white washed' people are the ones that go to boarding school
kai'sa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by jay111a)
I used to live with a black guy, hes a good lad but aways made comments about 'white people', he would make comments about everyone's white people clothes and white people music and dancing. He once made a comment on my cooking calling in white people food (steak, green beans, new potatoes with a blue cheese and shallot sauce). Anyway it was white people everything. I made ONE single comment about fried chicken and water melon which the guy found hilarious and someone else in the house (a white guy) starts making complaints to the uni.
all over twitter you see these tweets like 'people ppl dancing looks like crips doing physical therapy' or other racial slurs but when a white person makes a commment about black its racist and its all over the news. im not white but this sh** gotta stop

this vid i watched today enlightened me on this topic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdPN8SVuN0

and yes op my old mates say i act white because i listen to remixes and stuff and dont smoke with them. its pressured me to listen to hip hop/rap ect but im over it now
Last edited by kai'sa; 6 days ago
NoTearsLeftToCry
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Are you white

Hey bab,

It's like how we talk ini and maybe dress. :rolleyes: or the music we listen to. Like I go to reggae parties sometimes and dance and people are like I didn't know white guys could lalalala. It's basically the reverse of acting white. Acting white means classy and smart, and acting black means ghetto and tough and dance/athletic ability.
hi
well i find that stupid and offensive.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry)
hi
well i find that stupid and offensive.
Lol stop being rude to me

Well I didn't make up the term. It's just how people are. It's what they say.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Respect, manners and etiquette are not confined to any single race, with many white people seriously lacking these which is not too hard to find, and vice versa for every race.

Phrases like "acting white/black/anything else" is the literal definition of the passive racism and stereotyping that exists within society and often through pure ignorance or misinformed superiority complexes.
Last edited by BlueIndigoViolet; 6 days ago
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
Respect, manners and ettiquette are not confined to any single race, with many white people seriously lacking these which is not too hard to find, and vice versa for every race.

Phrases like "acting white/black/anything else" is the literal definition of the passive racism and stereotyping that exists within society and often through pure ignorance or misinformed superiority complexes.
perfectly put.

we need to move on from worldviews that revolve around (dividing people by) race because they only serve to enable racism with stuff like this.
Olivia.Omo16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by lunaloo)
If you aren't white, If so how does it make you feel?
Kinda makes me wonder how I sound “Black”. But, I don’t take offence to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (16)
17.2%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (13)
13.98%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (23)
24.73%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (34)
36.56%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (1)
1.08%
No particular grades needed (6)
6.45%