What advice would you give to someone receiving their A-level results? Watch

She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago

I remember feeling so nervous on A-level results day, I was waiting on AS retake results alongside my results and I had no idea what was in store.

I missed my uni offer by one grade, thankfully the uni let me in

In the end it was all ok.
Exam results help you open the door to your next chapter, think of them as a currency to invest in the next stage of you. Once you have banked what you need you move forward. Whatever happens I promise they don't define you as a human or demonstrate your full potential. You are limitless and if you work hard and have a positive attitude to life and work you're going to have a fulfilling life full of adventures. Life is an interesting journey, keep trusting that everything is working out for the greatest good and make choices that feel right for you.

:moon:

My advice to anyone receiving their results is:

Remember that whatever happens you have options & A-levels are really tough - but you got through it :hugs:

Try and get a good night sleep

Don't try refreshing Track until at least 7.30, last year it went live at about 7.40/7.45am

If you're worried about your uni offer, use this week to make a plan B just in case.

Remember though that Clearing vacancies won't update properly until late Wednesday / Thursday and will continue to update as students move through the system.

We're here for you :heart:

:dumbells:

Last edited by She-Ra; 5 days ago
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Nomatter what happens it isn't the end of the world. I totally messed up some of mine and I survived. With one of my papers the best comment my teacher could give for a "complement sandwich" was that he could read my handwriting. I kid you not. It was really bad but there is always another option or path to take and sometimes what seems like the worst thing ever can actually turn out to be a huge turning point in your life that sends you towards something brilliant.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Remember these are your results and not your teachers or parents etc. If you are happy with them that's all that matters. Make sure you take all the things you might need in case you get put into clearing like a notepad, phone numbers and your ucas number. Don't feel pressured to bring someone with you or to open your results in front of people. I brought my parent with me on alevel results day but prior to that I went to school on my own and opened them in private. You're in control of the day and what decisions you make :hugs:
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Try as much as you can to both:
1 - distract yourself before the day :borat:
2 - be prepared for any scenario so you really don't need to worry :hat2:

you can do this + your hard work will pay off no matter what happens :yep:
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Results aren't the be all and end all - if you don't get the grades you want right now, there are other routes to where you want to be. You've got this, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :hugs:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You're still alive, you're still breathing, remember that. Your results might change your plans for next year but keep being you and don't let the judgements of anyone else (family, friends, teachers) affect what is ultimately a decision about your future, not theirs.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
My advice:

-Remember that there is more to life than A-level results. I know it feels like the be all and end all now, but there are lots of routes to get to where you want to be, and if things haven't worked out it will be ok. There are still lots of options open to you!

-But, if you've done well, definitely celebrate! This is a huge achievement and the end of an era. Many years down the line, I still look back at the fun times I had between A-levels and uni fondly. Live while you're young, and all that!

-Be kind to everyone! Don't forget that even just passing A-levels can be a big achievement for some people. And don't forget if you are celebrating, that some people may be really unhappy, so try to be considerate.

-If things have gone wrong, then don't panic and talk to someone you trust, like a teacher or a parent, about your next steps. That might be retaking or clearing or something else. Don't forget that TSR will have loads of people online who can talk you through your options.

-If you are in clearing, be patient when calling unis, and remember to ask each uni what they can offer you as well!

-If you've got into your firm and done really well, do think carefully before trying to swap to another uni in clearing. It may be better to go to a uni you've fully researched and been excited about all year, who can offer you accommodation in halls and so on. There are very few fields where uni prestige actually really matters in terms of employment.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It's easier than ever before to get a university place. A lot of new universities are desperate for students, as demonstrated by relentless advertising. You will get into university if you want to. Do not stress.

There are alternative routes (if not better) to a good career, such as apprenticeships with large corporations like Amazon and Accenture.

Have a cup of tea and do not make rash decisions until at least a few hours of ponderation with staff at school if things don't go to plan.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 6 days ago
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Keep a sense of perspective.
She-Ra
Rep:
?
Keep them coming, these are all so super helpful
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Remember these are your results and not your teachers or parents etc. If you are happy with them that's all that matters. Make sure you take all the things you might need in case you get put into clearing like a notepad, phone numbers and your ucas number. Don't feel pressured to bring someone with you or to open your results in front of people. I brought my parent with me on alevel results day but prior to that I went to school on my own and opened them in private. You're in control of the day and what decisions you make :hugs:
Totally agree with this from my birthday twin. Despite not sleeping too well for the past few days (it's been improving), I've made sure I've done all the necessary preparation for Clearing especially since I'm unsure about whether I want to go to my firm anymore/whether it's the right place for me. I just want to get the grades I need and from there reassess my options - gut feeling atm is to get into either York or Nottingham with the former being my preference. In terms of who I'm bringing, I'm going to get to school on my own but my best friend will be there and we'll open results together just like GCSE results day but we'll have a moment to ourselves when opening them up. Also there's other stuff that's bothering me atm and I'm just not feeling great + my head hurts a bit.

P.S. Is it normal to be consuming like 3-4 cups of tea and it's not even the evening yet.
wolfmoon88
Report 6 days ago
Hi everyone,

Hope people are feeling okay regarding results day :yep: I understand how hard it could be and the ups and downs associated.

Ditto She-Ra :yep:

I also missed my offer by one point and my university let me in as well (took a while for them to respond but was very lucky).

Everyone in the thread is giving good advice ^^

Everything will work out in the end hopefully. As cliche as this may sound, keep calm and carry on - and remember there is #nowrongpath. You never know where life may take you.

When calling clearing hotlines or asking about missed offer decisions, be calm and don't shout because there is a real person on the other side of the phone that may not have all the answers or they may not be making decisions. Be patient and respectful + have your UCAS number in hand for immediate reference (being prepared with PS may not hurt as well).

If you did well, :woo: amazing job ^^ - do not judge people on your definition of well because as long as they have met their goals than they should be happy in the moment. - life is not a race, certainly regarding exam results at this juncture in life it isn't.

Don't let the results define you (like I nearly did). Getting in is just a step, what you do after it is the key
KJEKJE Says Hi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by She-Ra)

I remember feeling so nervous on A-level results day, I was waiting on AS retake results alongside my results and I had no idea what was in store.

I missed my uni offer by one grade, thankfully the uni let me in

In the end it was all ok.

My advice to anyone receiving their results is:

Remember that whatever happens you have options & A-levels are really tough - but you got through it :hugs:

Try and get a good night sleep

Don't try refreshing Track until at least 7.30, last year it went live at about 7.40/7.45am

If you're worried about your uni offer, use this week to make a plan B just in case.

Remember though that Clearing vacancies won't update properly until late Wednesday / Thursday and will continue to update as students move through the system.

We're here for you :heart:

:dumbells:

Loving all of these posts.

On results day, I'm planning on just starting my day as usual, with a morning stroll. It take my mind off the potential stress I'll have getting to school, but also give me one last time to reflect on what's gone on in the school year.

My advice would be a classic line:
"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

If you find yourself in a sour spot, it may sting, and it'll be unpleasant. However, stay strong, keep your chin up, and be proud that you've gotten this far. Know that it's the end of a chapter, but also the start of a new one. ^^
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
My key advice is to try and be relaxed and calm as you go in to collect your results. No matter what happens, there will be an option for you going forward!
She-Ra
Rep:
?
(Original post by KJEKJE Says Hi)
Loving all of these posts.

On results day, I'm planning on just starting my day as usual, with a morning stroll. It take my mind off the potential stress I'll have getting to school, but also give me one last time to reflect on what's gone on in the school year.

My advice would be a classic line:
"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

If you find yourself in a sour spot, it may sting, and it'll be unpleasant. However, stay strong, keep your chin up, and be proud that you've gotten this far. Know that it's the end of a chapter, but also the start of a new one. ^^
Superb advice - thank you :hugs:

So you're getting your results on Thursday? Good luck
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Life is not a race to the finish line - you're supposed to enjoy the journey. If your results mean you end up taking a detour or going the pretty way then that's just some more new experiences and opportunities to meet new people and go to new places.
KJEKJE Says Hi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
Superb advice - thank you :hugs:

So you're getting your results on Thursday? Good luck
Indeed I am.

Thank you. Wishing everyone the best!
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Life sometimes gives us curveballs. Just grab the ball and throw it at whatever is in front of you, whether you expected it to be there or not.
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Just because it's not the grades you wanted doesn't mean the grades are brilliant.

I was devastated for getting ABC 2 years ago, but now I'm proud that I achieved that! I got an A in a subject most of my friends managed a C in - and while I'm not studying at my top choice university, I can't imagine myself anywhere else now. I love it, and I could always go to my top choice for a Masters or a Summer School - if I wanted
MiaNova
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Loving all the great advice so far! 😄
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (331)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (25)
4.8%
Not yet but I might (67)
12.86%

Watched Threads