What advice would you give to someone receiving their A-level results? Watch

Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Whatever happens, it's going to be okay in the end.

A Level results day was bloody hectic for me, as I missed both my uni offers as was the year before the 9K fees (so 8 years ago) so they were being really strict on who they would accept. Thankfully, my insurance gave me a place in the end.

8 years later, I've graduated with a 1st in maths from a great uni and I'm about to finish my PhD. I also know a number of people who didn't have the ideal results day and are doing excellent in their careers.

My thoughts with all of you :hugs: Oh and make use of the resources here on TSR, I can tell you that they're a great bunch and will give some really valuable advise based on your circumstances
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Fingers crossed for you ❤️ let us know how you get on and if you need anything... well, we pretty much sleep in the office over results so we’ll be ready to help and share advice.

Best of luck :bl:
(Original post by KJEKJE Says Hi)
Indeed I am.

Thank you. Wishing everyone the best!
Hooray!

Best of luck on Thursday Mia :heart:
(Original post by MiaNova)
Loving all the great advice so far! 😄
Thank you
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It will be okay - no matter what happens. Yes, you could be disappointed and it’s OK to be disappointed, but put things into perspective. There are so many pathways and methods to get to where you want to be. Take it slow, keep calm, get some sleep and no matter what you will be absolutely fine in the end.
Protostar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Whatever happens, things will all work out! I remember being terrified the day before, but luckily still managed to get to sleep at a reasonable time and I think that helped a lot. If things don’t go to plan and you have to go through Clearing, my best advice would be to just try and push the disappointment to one side and just crack on with it - stay calm and collected while on the phone and make sure you consider all choices before making your decision. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with resitting if you have to, nothing wrong with getting into uni via Clearing, and there’s nothing wrong with being let into uni despite missing the conditions (something it’s taken me almost a year to come to terms with )

Good luck everyone for Thursday, quite a lot of us will be around on the day to congratulate and assist with those getting results :rave:
omlette102
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did terribly in school. I'm dyslexic, and at that time the school system wasn't that well equipped to help students to the level I needed. I worked my bum off but I didn't expect it to amount to much. What I was good at was the violin. I begrudgingly did my Grade 8 as it would get me UCAS points. I got a merit and came out with 70 points on top. Results day came along, I got the results I needed and didn't need to extra 70. I remember standing there stunned...

I meet a lot of people at uni who'd missed their first choice due to not getting the results they needed and got into my uni through Clearing. I bet if you asked them now they'd have no regrets. They all came out with great degrees, had a wonderful time and now have fruitful careers.

So them's the two outcomes. It can go how you wanted it to go, or it can go down a different path. Different isn't necessarily bad. Either way, I promise you, you'll be fine.
She-Ra
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This thread is SO good! Thank you everyone for your wonderful pearls of wisdom so far ❤️

:hat2:

Keep em coming
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have half an hour in the garden with the dog.

I defy anyone to feel glum after that
steveeem
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sort of advice, but if you have done well and want to know how people did without making it seem like your trying to get them to ask you back to show off, instead of saying 'What did you get?'. Instead say 'How did it go?' then if they are ashamed of their grades they can say 'bad' and they can say whatever they want if they do well.
Moments
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
- Employers don't care about your A level results ..... even the majority of universities these days don't *really* care about your A level results. In 4-5 years you're going to look back on results day and laugh. It's not where you come from, it's where you're going.
ChrisN
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good luck everyone! I'm really feeling the nerves with you all.

Here's my advice...

- Don't panic, don't rush, and get good advice
- Be ambitious. Whatever that means to you.
- Whatever happens, try not to stress about it. Stress is created by you, and not helpful to you. So just don't. It is a choice, however much it might not feel like that. Deep breaths!

And if you want some reassurance... I didn't do as well as I hoped, I didn't end up being a Doctor, but I have had a great career, which I wouldn't swap if I could rewind the clock. Who'd have owned TSR in that alternate universe?....an evil Pug called Randolph....save me mother!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got BEE and offered an alternative course, if I hadn't have taken that offer I wouldn't have met my husband , gotten a cat and a house that I have now.
Eight years ago it felt like the end of the world but I m so glad how things turned out.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some really awesone advice in this thread, very wholesome. :heart:

(Original post by ChrisN)
Who'd have owned TSR in that alternate universe?l
:plugin:
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I messed up my A levels. I got an A in English Lit, but a C in Biology and a D in Chemistry. I did really well at GCSE (almost all A* and A grades) and was gutted to have not achieved what I wanted. I was anxious that having a big range of results would have made things harder - I was so worried people would see the one A grade and ask why I couldn't achieve that in my other subjects, or why my grades dropped so much from GCSE. I was also worried that it meant I didn't have the academic skills I'd need to cope at university - something that was a huge expense and commitment.

Three years later I graduated with a distinction in Nursing at the top of my class, won several awards for my academic success and I'm now on a Masters in Health Research (which I'm also doing really well in *touch wood*).

Sometimes the subjects you're studying just aren't for you - for me, I think I struggled because they weren't related to the career I wanted. Universities and employers will see past that. I have never once had anyone discuss my A levels and I'm now 24, so I don't think it's going to happen at this stage. Ultimately what I thought was the end of my academic success was really just a small hurdle. If anything, it made me more determined to succeed. If you don't get the grades you want, use it as a learning experience and don't let yourself be defined by them.
jungkooknanmolla
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
It's easier than ever before to get a university place. A lot of new universities are desperate for students, as demonstrated by relentless advertising. You will get into university if you want to. Do not stress.

There are alternative routes (if not better) to a good career, such as apprenticeships with large corporations like Amazon and Accenture.

Have a cup of tea and do not make rash decisions until at least a few hours of ponderation with staff at school if things don't go to plan.
I am planning to study American Studies & History at Nottingham Uni, I am a little worried that I might miss a grade or so, is it more likely they'll accept me as it is not general History so the demand for the course may be lower??
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jungkooknanmolla)
I am planning to study American Studies & History at Nottingham Uni, I am a little worried that I might miss a grade or so, is it more likely they'll accept me as it is not general History so the demand for the course may be lower??
Nottingham will likely take you if you only miss a grade.

There are no guarantees though, it depends how the rest of the offer-holders have done.
jungkooknanmolla
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nottingham will likely take you if you only miss a grade.

There are no guarantees though, it depends how the rest of the offer-holders have done.
Sorry this is really specific but I am just so nervous for Thursday, like all my friends have unconditionals bar me and going to a distant Uni will be so hard to survive on, I got an A in my EPQ about the Reunification of North and South Korea and my offer was BBC which I am fairly sure I did okay in both my Media and History exams but I am really worried about my biology as I have struggled throughout the year, I am just worried that I haven't done well in biology even though I found the exam(s) okay, say I was to get a D/E in biology and then get either two Bs in my over or an A and a B do you reckon they would accept me or not?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jungkooknanmolla)
Sorry this is really specific but I am just so nervous for Thursday, like all my friends have unconditionals bar me and going to a distant Uni will be so hard to survive on, I got an A in my EPQ about the Reunification of North and South Korea and my offer was BBC which I am fairly sure I did okay in both my Media and History exams but I am really worried about my biology as I have struggled throughout the year, I am just worried that I haven't done well in biology even though I found the exam(s) okay, say I was to get a D/E in biology and then get either two Bs in my over or an A and a B do you reckon they would accept me or not?
I really don't know. Like I said, it depends on how the offer-holders have done.

Rest assured rejections are not automatic. The university will look at your whole application if you miss your offer before making a decision.
jungkooknanmolla
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I really don't know. Like I said, it depends on how the offer-holders have done.

Rest assured rejections are not automatic. The university will look at your whole application if you miss your offer before making a decision.
That's reassuring, thank you, I'll hope for the best on Thursday!
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rest assured rejections are not automatic.
Imagine if they were! :eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3:
MysteryVader
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The main reason I'm worried about A-level results, is because my GCSEs weren't what I expected, but I can say that I didn't work hard and put all my focus on them. My parents have low expectations (which isn't helping but at least they care). I'm more concerned that my hard work won't pay off this time, because I put a lot of hours and even though I know how the papers went (so I have an idea of the grades I would get) I don't know if I should trust my instincts. What if my predictions are all wrong and I just disappoint everyone as usual..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.73%
Excited (150)
8.97%
Worried (303)
18.11%
Terrified (374)
22.36%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%