Should I become a secondary or primary teacher? Watch

Tess84738473
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I enjoy teaching and definitely want to go down that route however can’t decide between secondary n primary. I would probably teach a social subject if I taught secondary (geography, history or mods) but I feel like I might get a bit bored teaching the same subject this is why I am considering primary. If I teach primary kids I could teach all subjects however it would be basic level and I could all get bored teaching such basic learning. Help me!!
Queen_1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It depends on you tbh. Primary school kids are more annoying and secondary school kids are more rude unless you go to a secondary school that normally gets very high marks then you’ll find that the kids are more respectful.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tess84738473)
I enjoy teaching and definitely want to go down that route however can’t decide between secondary n primary. I would probably teach a social subject if I taught secondary (geography, history or mods) but I feel like I might get a bit bored teaching the same subject this is why I am considering primary. If I teach primary kids I could teach all subjects however it would be basic level and I could all get bored teaching such basic learning. Help me!!
Can I ask how old you are/if you already have an undergraduate degree?

I'd suggest spending time getting work experience with kids of both age groups, in a school setting is good, but also out of school as well, e.g. by volunteering with a sports team or an organization like guides or scouts. If you find the right age group, you won't get bored!
Tess84738473
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)

I'd suggest spending time getting work experience with kids of both age groups, in a school setting is good, but also out of school as well, e.g. by volunteering with a sports team or an organization like guides or scouts. If you find the right age group, you won't get bored!
I’m 15 I have volunteered at an activity camp for 5-12year olds this summer. It was good but the leaders were constantly shouting to get their attention. I am going to a special needs school for a week also later this year
Tess84738473
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)

I’m 15 I have volunteered at an activity camp for 5-12year olds this summer. It was good but the leaders were constantly shouting to get their attention. I am going to a special needs school for a week also later this year
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I want to become a history teacher at secondary, and I only realized that I fully wanted to do that after doing A Levels. You'll realize what subject you fully love and enjoy doing by the end of A Levels and will know if you want to carry on with that subject constantly by teaching it at secondary (as you will know by end of a levels)
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tess84738473)
If you're 15, then you honestly don't need to make the decision about secondary vs primary yet. As long as you take some A-levels in national curriculum subjects you think you might like to teach, then you'll be fine

You've got loads of time to decide exactly what you want to do, so don't worry- keep getting work experience though, as that will help you write your PS when you come to apply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (224)
13.67%
Impatient (207)
12.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise