The Student Room Group

Further Maths for Physics

I'm starting a degree in Physics this year (having done A Levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Comp Sci). I'm looking to learn some further maths to help with this. Any suggestions on which modules are best to prepare for a physics degree, as I won't have time to do more than a couple... Thanks 😁
Original post by Abi)(M
I'm starting a degree in Physics this year (having done A Levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Comp Sci). I'm looking to learn some further maths to help with this. Any suggestions on which modules are best to prepare for a physics degree, as I won't have time to do more than a couple... Thanks 😁

Probably the "pure" modules will be the most useful. Complex numbers, differential equations, more calculus techniques, a bit on vectors and matrices... Mechanics modules could also be useful but you'll be taught all that stuff "properly" at Uni.
I would suggest probably just focus on complex numbers and matrices for now, as they're the main things which are "new" that it might be useful to have a bit of experience with. The calculus, ODEs/PDEs, vectors etc, will follow on largely from what you've done already, whereas complex numbers and matrices introduce some new concepts with which you are likely unfamiliar, but that are important for physics.
Original post by Abi)(M

the complex field (numbers, algebra, differentials, argand diagrams etc.)
Higher order differential equentions
complex calculus
matrix algebra
Vectors
proof by induction

These are the basics, im sure you can dig some more stuff up if your keen
Not sure if its in A-level FM but it might be worth looking at taylor series & fourier series, if you have time these will defiantly crop up in your degree. Although they are pretty easy to learn so not to worry if you don't get round to them.
both pure maths and mechanics modules, if you look at old spec modules in order of which you should prioritise I'd do FP1 FP2 M3 FP3 M4 FP4 M5, don't worry about doing all of them but get through as many as you can and you'll be very very well prepared

Quick Reply

Latest