Pre-university clinical experience Watch

dedtron
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I'm a tiny bit worried that I'm not being frequent or vocal enough in my questioning of the vets . Does anyone have any tips for being less shy to just get up and ask if you can see something or have something explained? I also feel like the questions that I ask aren't interesting enough.

Literally any advice would be appreciated!! I'd love to really squeeze out everything I can from this placement's potential!! X
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Often you will see consults for an on-going issue, the animal will be brought back later in the week or the following for a checkup. If you hear this is happening it gives you some time to read around the diagnosed condition. Then once the owner/animal have left the follow up consult you are in a better place to be asking the vet questions that make you look informed.

Realistically though the only stupid question is one unanswered. If you don't ask you won't know. Nobody knows anything about veterinary medicine before university and that is expected (realistically this goes on for a couple of years at vet school too )

Acting interested and showing passion is enough at this stage. Also do appreciate if a vet is between consults they may not have time to answer questions in detail so perhaps check before asking if they mind asking questions between consults or to wait until the end.

Similarly within a surgical environment - pending the operation they may be too focussed on the task at hand - but you can judge that for yourself by the atmosphere. Radio off and hushed tones = stay silent but if the nurses and vets are chatting away its a fair shout to ask
dedtron
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by VMD100)
Often you will see consults for an on-going issue, the animal will be brought back later in the week or the following for a checkup. If you hear this is happening it gives you some time to read around the diagnosed condition. Then once the owner/animal have left the follow up consult you are in a better place to be asking the vet questions that make you look informed.

Realistically though the only stupid question is one unanswered. If you don't ask you won't know. Nobody knows anything about veterinary medicine before university and that is expected (realistically this goes on for a couple of years at vet school too )

Acting interested and showing passion is enough at this stage. Also do appreciate if a vet is between consults they may not have time to answer questions in detail so perhaps check before asking if they mind asking questions between consults or to wait until the end.

Similarly within a surgical environment - pending the operation they may be too focussed on the task at hand - but you can judge that for yourself by the atmosphere. Radio off and hushed tones = stay silent but if the nurses and vets are chatting away its a fair shout to ask
aaaaaaa thank youu!! x
weeemma
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by dedtron)
I'm a tiny bit worried that I'm not being frequent or vocal enough in my questioning of the vets . Does anyone have any tips for being less shy to just get up and ask if you can see something or have something explained? I also feel like the questions that I ask aren't interesting enough.

Literally any advice would be appreciated!! I'd love to really squeeze out everything I can from this placement's potential!! X
Hi there

Best thing to do if you are not sure about the question that is being told by the lecturer or tutor is sometimes ask them to put it another way so that you can understand what they mean ok.
If the animals is coming back into the vet practice during the week for checking then try and see if you can lerhper look up what the problem is with the animals so that you can understand what they are saying to you.

If you think that things are boring for you then try and act like you are interested in what happening around the practice and give some passion to.
Remember that the vet surgeon isn't ignofiig you he's busy with the animals wellbeing, ask them if it is possible to perhaps have a five minute or so chat with them when they have some time to do it and discuss the points that you have for them ok.
dedtron
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by weeemma)
Hi there

Best thing to do if you are not sure about the question that is being told by the lecturer or tutor is sometimes ask them to put it another way so that you can understand what they mean ok.
If the animals is coming back into the vet practice during the week for checking then try and see if you can lerhper look up what the problem is with the animals so that you can understand what they are saying to you.

If you think that things are boring for you then try and act like you are interested in what happening around the practice and give some passion to.
Remember that the vet surgeon isn't ignofiig you he's busy with the animals wellbeing, ask them if it is possible to perhaps have a five minute or so chat with them when they have some time to do it and discuss the points that you have for them ok.
Thank you, great advice!! x
weeemma
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No problems and good luck with this matter ok, keep me posted on things if possible please
Thanks.
weeemma
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Ps
If it is possible try and have a list of questions written down and ask them with the vet surgeon once you have the time to discuss things further ok
Also never be afraid to ask any staff questions because they are there to help you with your training and should be able to do it for you.
The qualified veterinary nurses was once in your position to and would have done exactly the same as yourself.
Emma
Any further information you need to ask them please don't hesitate to contact me ok as will do my best to answer your points ok
dedtron
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by weeemma)
Ps
If it is possible try and have a list of questions written down and ask them with the vet surgeon once you have the time to discuss things further ok
Also never be afraid to ask any staff questions because they are there to help you with your training and should be able to do it for you.
The qualified veterinary nurses was once in your position to and would have done exactly the same as yourself.
Emma
Any further information you need to ask them please don't hesitate to contact me ok as will do my best to answer your points ok
Thanks so much again! I feel things went much better today x
weeemma
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thanks so much again! I feel things went much better today x
Hi there

Good afternoon, have just received your message ok, I'm on my break for lunch,
Good that you feel that things have went better for you yesterday at the veterinary practice and that's makes your day much better when this happens.
Best practices is to always find the time to ask any questions you need answeians with any of the staff, and I hope that they make you feel wanted at the practice when helping you out.
There are places that won't give you the time of day to ask anything but then you feel out of place and also they ain't doing there job if they can't help the students out, you are there to learn how the veterinary practice work with animals etc etc.

And keep me posted on how things go with you because I'm here if you need me to help you out ok.

Emma xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (331)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (25)
4.8%
Not yet but I might (67)
12.86%

Watched Threads