The Student Room Group

Will it look bad if I only do three A-levels?

I would like to say I am a capable student, since all my subjects at GCSE being targeted 7/8/9, and I do love all of them (apart from maths, which is a real shame). For my A-level choices, chemistry and biology are certain, and I am very keen on taking geography, however, I have had troubles over my fourth option since November (and have asked many questions on here about it). I originally chose computer science, and whilst I love the subject I dislike the course and the programming project at A2 very much, and my teacher is not very good (he taught me at GCSE). I could drop it at AS level, but I think that would be a shame and possibly a waste of time (but I do really enjoy the subject). I love other subjects such as history and English literature, but I am too worried about their workload combined with my other subjects to choose them, and they are not relevant to my ambitions (medicine/biomedicine), even though I am predicted 9s in both. Then there is religious studies... but I don't think that would be helpful at all, and I'm not THAT keen since I didn't take it at GCSE. There's also business, economics and politics, but I have never taken nor considered these subjects before, and I don't think they would be a good choice. Finally, there is psychology, but I know the course is crammed and I may not get in, plus my timetable would have to be shifted.
And I really, really don't want to do maths. I considered physics (predicted 9), but if I think I wouldn't cope with maths, I don't think I should do physics.
So, would it be a waste if I only did 3 A levels from the beginning? I guess I could always do an EPQ as well. Or should I take CS but drop it at AS? Or should I choose another subject? Any help would be appreciated, I've been worried about this for a very long time now...
Original post by telkov
I would like to say I am a capable student, since all my subjects at GCSE being targeted 7/8/9, and I do love all of them (apart from maths, which is a real shame). For my A-level choices, chemistry and biology are certain, and I am very keen on taking geography, however, I have had troubles over my fourth option since November (and have asked many questions on here about it). I originally chose computer science, and whilst I love the subject I dislike the course and the programming project at A2 very much, and my teacher is not very good (he taught me at GCSE). I could drop it at AS level, but I think that would be a shame and possibly a waste of time (but I do really enjoy the subject). I love other subjects such as history and English literature, but I am too worried about their workload combined with my other subjects to choose them, and they are not relevant to my ambitions (medicine/biomedicine), even though I am predicted 9s in both. Then there is religious studies... but I don't think that would be helpful at all, and I'm not THAT keen since I didn't take it at GCSE. There's also business, economics and politics, but I have never taken nor considered these subjects before, and I don't think they would be a good choice. Finally, there is psychology, but I know the course is crammed and I may not get in, plus my timetable would have to be shifted.
And I really, really don't want to do maths. I considered physics (predicted 9), but if I think I wouldn't cope with maths, I don't think I should do physics.
So, would it be a waste if I only did 3 A levels from the beginning? I guess I could always do an EPQ as well. Or should I take CS but drop it at AS? Or should I choose another subject? Any help would be appreciated, I've been worried about this for a very long time now...

If you are intending to go to university, most courses look for 3 A Levels so don't feel pressured to do more. Concentrate on selecting the best 3 subjects for yourself and studying hard to get the best grades possible. Consider what careers interest you and what subject combinations you need to get there.

(If you are interested in medicine, taking maths may be a good idea)
(edited 4 years ago)
three are plenty, it is always recommended that you take three unless you are passionate about 4 as it makes it much easier to get the highest grades just focusing on the three which is what unis care about, it won't look bad at all

you don't need maths or physics, very few med schools ask for more than two science/maths options, only Cambridge I believe and possibly Oxford . take the subject that you feel most confident in, better to get those high grades than do something you are less strong in and risk your application in that way

chemistry biology and geography are a perfectly acceptable combination, I wouldn't take any more than that
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Taking 3 is standard and is what universities make offers on. As you have three subjects you’re interested in pursuing, I’d say go for biology, chemistry and geography. I do a level chemistry and geography (woo :biggrin:). I’d recommend you do an EPQ ago show your interest in biomedicine if you want to make your application like those with four a levels, but you can’t go wrong. Though, wanting to do medicine without maths is hindering slightly. Have you done any medicine work experience and know that the sector is for you?
No. If for whatever reason you really want to do 4, do a 4th AS of an EPQ.
Original post by telkov
So, would it be a waste if I only did 3 A levels from the beginning? I guess I could always do an EPQ as well. Or should I take CS but drop it at AS? Or should I choose another subject? Any help would be appreciated, I've been worried about this for a very long time now..Doiung th

Doing three A-levels in fine and most people I know who did 4 said they would have preferred to do 3, but felt like it would have been wasted time and effort to drop them by the time they realised. However, I do strongly advise doing maths (even if you hate it) if you truly want to be a strong applicant for something as competitive as medicine. As with regards to physics, all the maths on the course is designed in a way that only one or two parts of the entire syllabus aren't GCSE level, and you sound like a capable student so I would assume would do more than fine. But, if your not completely sure why not just try doing a subject for a week or two at the start of the year and if you don't like it, ask a teacher if you can drop the subject. Just try not to get stressed about it because at this early stage most things can be changed if you just ask.
Short answer? No.

Long answer: Loads of people choose to do 3 A-Levels, and there are others that start with 4 and then get the choice to drop one or not. Most unis will give you conditions where only 3 A-Levels are needed.

There are a few benefits to choosing 4, however, such as having that extra edge on CVs that you've done that extra A-Level.
The other benefit is that if you start with 4, you have the chance of trying them and seeing if the workload is too much. If it is, then there's nothing stopping you dropping one. Gives you that extra bit of variety, you know?

I think you've thought it through a lot, so you know yourself whether of not the workload will be too much if you choose 4 or 3, but it's certainly not a bad thing to start with 3. ^^
Just saying you don't need maths for medicine. Most universities only require chemistry and biology and a third subject other than general studies or critical thinking, or subjects with strong overlap.

Oxbridge require a set amount of sciences(I forgot how many exactly) to be done at A level and counts maths as a science.

I would say only do maths if you are confident you can achieve a strong grade in it and are interested in the subject. Doing maths can help you with the maths in chem and bio
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks for all the advice, I feel a lot better about my options. I will definitely be taking bio, chem and geography but will keep maths (ugh) on the table and see what I get on results day. Unfortunately, it's one of my weakest subjects but if I get an 8 I may try to start the year with it as my fourth option and see how it goes... either that or physics, since I'm more confident in that subject. Thank you all for your advice :smile:
Original post by telkov
Thanks for all the advice, I feel a lot better about my options. I will definitely be taking bio, chem and geography but will keep maths (ugh) on the table and see what I get on results day. Unfortunately, it's one of my weakest subjects but if I get an 8 I may try to start the year with it as my fourth option and see how it goes... either that or physics, since I'm more confident in that subject. Thank you all for your advice :smile:

You don't need to take maths. It will not benefit your application at all unless your applying for Oxbridge med
a third science (i.e. maths/physics) ONLY matters for medicine at cambridge. oxford have stated they have no preference for the third a-level subject and i have asked them this myself at an open day for reassurance. i haven't taken maths or physics (although i was v good at them at gcse but i was lazy and heard everyone complaining about how difficult they are lol) and i don't think it has disadvantaged me at all for medicine.
Reply 11
Short answer, no.
Long answer, also no. I did 4 A levels for a year and a half, only giving up at the final hurdle just before final A level entries went in (the January before my exams). This means I went through the whole UCAS process. I was predicted A*A*A*A plus A* in EPQ and still got rejected from 2 of my uni choices (St Andrews' whose course required AAA and Oxford because I flunked the admissions test oops), whereas my 3 A level counterparts with the same A*A*A* prediction, no EPQ, no fourth A level got in for similar courses.
Do 3, do them well and don't make yourself sick with stress for something you're only doing for your own peace of mind, as universities only care about 3. If you miss a grade because you did a 4th A level, don't think your firm choice will go easy on you because you do 4 subjects, they'll give your place to someone who did 3 but got the grades. A levels are hard, don't make your life harder!
Me in the corner taking 2 A levels and Welsh Baccalaureate and still getting offers...
I agree, doing 3 a levels is perfectly fine, a combo of chemistry, biology and geography is very good.

Also, if you still want to continue your passion for other subjects like English or History, you could always do an EPQ.

Quick Reply

Latest