Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I hear this somewhere.
sknudson
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Gain new fat? No. Promote favourable conditions for catabolism and losing lean muscle tissue? Possibly if 30 minutes is too much for your physique, which I highly doubt will be the case if you're eating close enough to your TDEE anyway.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sknudson)
Gain new fat? No. Promote favourable conditions for catabolism and losing lean muscle tissue? Possibly if 30 minutes is too much for your physique, which I highly doubt will be the case if you're eating close enough to your TDEE anyway.
my body fat is 20%. Can i keep doing it or should I stop?
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
my body fat is 20%. Can i keep doing it or should I stop?
I wouldn't remotely worry about losing mass at 20% if your diet is on point. Keep doing it, then do some more.
Anonymous #1
I wouldn't remotely worry about losing mass at 20% if your diet is on point. Keep doing it, then do some more.
sorry im not understanding. I really want to get my BF to 17%. I am skinny fat I have a big tummy lol.
Should I keep doing cardio every day for 30 mins and reduce my calorie input? or just focus on diet and no exercise.
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
sorry im not understanding. I really want to get my BF to 17%. I am skinny fat I have a big tummy lol.
Should I keep doing cardio every day for 30 mins and reduce my calorie input? or just focus on diet and no exercise.
If you're concerned that excess cardio is going to eat away at your lean muscle mass, then I would argue it's not relevant until you're at a much lower fat percentage. 20% is a huge amount of fat to play with. Your body will tell you if what you're doing is too extreme when you start losing strength on more than one occasion. For me, my bench press is the first thing to start leaving me when either my calories are too low or my cardio is too high. I won't be 100% every single time, but if I hit the bench twice and I've definitely lost a quarter plate, then I need to rethink something.

Keep doing as you're doing. If you're not lifting, then something will be your guide as to whether or not you need to change your approach: you'll take longer to recover, struggle more in daily life, be more fatigued, etc. I doubt you'll have any negative effects if your calories are high enough anyway.
Anonymous #1
If you're concerned that excess cardio is going to eat away at your lean muscle mass, then I would argue it's not relevant until you're at a much lower fat percentage. 20% is a huge amount of fat to play with. Your body will tell you if what you're doing is too extreme when you start losing strength on more than one occasion. For me, my bench press is the first thing to start leaving me when either my calories are too low or my cardio is too high. I won't be 100% every single time, but if I hit the bench twice and I've definitely lost a quarter plate, then I need to rethink something.

Keep doing as you're doing. If you're not lifting, then something will be your guide as to whether or not you need to change your approach: you'll take longer to recover, struggle more in daily life, be more fatigued, etc. I doubt you'll have any negative effects if your calories are high enough anyway.
Thank you that makes sense.

I just read somewhere that cardio everyday makes you fat and got worried.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You need to develop your faculties of critical thinking.
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You probably read it wrong. Cardio in itself isn't going to make you gain fresh fat: eating too much and/or the wrong stuff altogether will. Yes, excess cardio raises cortisol levels in the blood and over time will become very destructive to lean muscle mass, but the same can be said for any form of physical activity if done to excess without an adequate nutritional base. If you're not losing more than a couple of pounds a week and you're a meat eater, then you're probably eating enough for this to not be a concern at 12%+
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So, if you run for 3 hours every day, you will get ''fat''? cardio is good for weight loss because it burns calories. Hell, any form of movement burns calories and that is all that is needed for weight loss incl. fat loss.

I've read a study on the Amish in the US (google if you don't know what that is) where they've discovered that even if you have the FTO gene (or whatever the gene that is believed to be contributing to obesity the most is called), you can eat whatever you want (approx 3-4k calories a day) and maintain a healthy weight as long as you exercise for 4 (?) hours a day.

The point being: cardio will make you anything but fat. Eat sufficiently high protein and you'll be unlikely to have any issues with muscle loss. The real reason why some people might lose muscle when doing cardio is precisely because cardio burns calories and some of those calories might come from muscle catabolism (basically using muscle tissue for energy).

But those people would not be your average skinny-fat person, let alone your average overweight/obese person. This might be an issue for elite athletes with a lot of muscle mass who're doing restrictive diets for competition or smth. Muscle loss gets less of an issue the more fat you have in your body. If you're a woman btw I wouldn't even think about this at all.
Anonymous #1
Thanks guys.

I really want to change my life around and become fitter. I'm fed of being the unfit guy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%