When do you apply for university?

Watch this thread
redoubtable
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So basically I've just gone into 5th year and am studying Highers, and I'm just wondering when it is you are supposed to apply for university if you would be starting in September 2021. Because the thing is I don't know what I want to study and I'm wondering how long I would have to decide!:lol:
Strelzo
Badges: 20
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pineapplepink)
So basically I've just gone into 5th year and am studying Highers, and I'm just wondering when it is you are supposed to apply for university if you would be starting in September 2021. Because the thing is I don't know what I want to study and I'm wondering how long I would have to decide!:lol:
I'm in the same situation as you, except I am applying for 2020 enrolment.

You could apply this year, or wait until next year. If you apply this year, you will have to apply for "deferred entry" through UCAS which will register you for a 2021 course, should your application be successful.

The date when students can start submitting their applications is the 4th September 2019, I think that would apply for deferred entry as well?

Name:  Screenshot_8.png
Views: 228
Size:  61.9 KB

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...deferred-entry

Last edited by Strelzo; 2 years ago
Bluebells602003
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
If you want to start in 2020 then your application can be submitted 5th sept upto 15th January. Although uni may accept applications after this date but check first. If it’s 2021 you want to apply then applications won’t be submitted till sept 2020 (year in advance of start date)
redoubtable
(Original post by Strelzo)
I'm in the same situation as you, except I am applying for 2020 enrolment.

You could apply this year, or wait until next year. If you apply this year, you will have to apply for "deferred entry" through UCAS which will register you for a 2021 course, should your application be successful.

The date when students can start submitting their applications is the 4th September 2019, I think that would apply for deferred entry as well?

Name:  Screenshot_8.png
Views: 228
Size:  61.9 KB

Great thanks
So you're going at the end of 5th year then?
redoubtable
(Original post by Bluebells602003)
If you want to start in 2020 then your application can be submitted 5th sept upto 15th January. Although uni may accept applications after this date but check first. If it’s 2021 you want to apply then applications won’t be submitted till sept 2020 (year in advance of start date)
Thank you that's really useful
It's cleared it right up for me. :lol:
Strelzo
Report 2 years ago
Great thanks
So you're going at the end of 5th year then?
No problem :thumbsup:.

And yep, my main goals are either a "BSc Ethical Hacking" degree at Abertay University (better in the long run for my career path) or a "BSc Computer Science" degree at Edinburgh University (not the best for my career path, but their student life is absolutely amazing, and this leads on nicely to their master's degree which covers a lot of topics about online security).

I have 2 more options that I will send in shall I become unsuccessful with my first options, but they really would throw me off career-wise.

What about you, what do you wish to study at University?
redoubtable
(Original post by Strelzo)
No problem :thumbsup:.

And yep, my main goals are either a "BSc Ethical Hacking" degree at Abertay University (better in the long run for my career path) or a "BSc Computer Science" degree at Edinburgh University (not the best for my career path, but their student life is absolutely amazing, and this leads on nicely to their master's degree which covers a lot of topics about online security).

I have 2 more options that I will send in shall I become unsuccessful with my first options, but they really would throw me off career-wise.

What about you, what do you wish to study at University?
Well that's the thing- I don't really know. It would be either something to do with English, Geography or French, but right now I really need to look at jobs that I'm interested in and see what degrees would be useful. If I do get a better idea then what I'd do is apply this year and leave at the end of 5th year like what you're doing.
Ethical hacking sounds cool- is that when companies use you to test the security of their systems etc? I imagine there would be quite a lots of jobs in that field.
Strelzo
Report 2 years ago
Well that's the thing- I don't really know. It would be either something to do with English, Geography or French, but right now I really need to look at jobs that I'm interested in and see what degrees would be useful. If I do get a better idea then what I'd do is apply this year and leave at the end of 5th year like what you're doing.
Ethical hacking sounds cool- is that when companies use you to test the security of their systems etc? I imagine there would be quite a lots of jobs in that field.
If you do get an idea, totally think about applying to leave at the end of 5th year. The reason I want to go to University in 2020 rather than 2021, is that 6th year (Advanced Highers) are absolutely useless if you can get into University at the end of 5th year. The only reason I'd stay for 6th year is if I missed my grades, but I'm certain that wont happen. I have a natural gift for computing science especially, but mathematics also which I'm so thankful for lol 😂. I can get A's in them without much effort so that saves me a hell of a lot of time that I can devote to subjects like Physics and Chemistry which I do good in when I put the effort in. I need ABBB for the ethical hacking course at Abertay or AAAB for my other primary option at Edinburgh University.

And yeah, basically what you said; companies will hire me to come in and test their security, of say, a website and I get paid. It will also be a great thing to have on everyday life, I would be able to prevent unethical hackers from gaining access to personal networks, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (27)
36%
The paper was reasonable (26)
34.67%
Not feeling great about that exam... (15)
20%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
9.33%

Watched Threads