Car insurance question - Can I claim? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Someone reversed into the rear passenger door side (or kicked it? who knows) and drove away (walked away?) - I didn't notice this damage until early May when I had a minor accident and damaged my rear.

I claimed through my insurance for the new damage from the accident, paid the excess, and only noticed the old damage when I was doing a walk-around with the repair garage. They said they won't fix it because it's not related to the accident, but gave me a quote of about £2000 for the door damage. I spoke to my insurance and they said it would have to be a separate claim which would drop my no-claims discount to 0 years, so I just left it (idiot!).

End of June I had another bump, there was virtually no damage to my car and the most minor scratches to the other person's car. But they wanted to claim, so I spoke to my insurers (they claimed on my insurance, but I had basically no damage to repair so I didn't pay any excess). However, this dropped my no-claims to 0 years. (Ugh)

The only reason I didn't claim for the door was because I was worried my no-claims would drop to 0 years (and increase my premium). Is it too late to claim on my insurance for the door damage (which I have no idea when it happened).

Things to consider:
  • My excess is only £150 (it would be way cheaper for me if insurance fixed my car rather than if I did it privately)
  • My no claims is now 0, so I don't have to worry about it depleting further
  • My policy says: "You must report any claim to us as soon as reasonably possible and within 30 days of the Insured event." - Does that mean I have to claim within 30 days or report within 30 days?
  • If so, I spoke to them about it in May as soon as I noticed it, will they have this on record as a report? (Would they have ignored it as I didn't claim?) - and if they ignored it what do I do?
  • In May the garage did a walk around and took pics of my car (and all damages I presume) - the insurers will have a record of this right?

So ultimately my question is, can I claim on this damage with my insurers? (Because I noticed it in May; and it's August now).

What if they say I didn't report it before? Because it was an "informal" phone call with me enquiring rather than an official "report" - (despite them having the pics from the garage also). Will they think it's fraudulent? I don't have £2000 to spend on private repairs.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Bump
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m not sure about the insurance question, but could be worth considering the impact it could have on your future premiums. Yes your no claims can’t go below 0 but you still have to give details of all claims in the last 5 years.

To give an idea, I’ve just renewed my car insurance with 1 year no claims. I got a quote for £585. With the exact same details...
+ 1 accident (not at fault) and 0 no claims: £736
+ 2 accidents (1 not at fault, 1 both at fault) and 0 no claims: £943
+ 2 accidents (1 not at fault and 1 both at fault) + 1 claim for vandalism damage and 0 no claims: £1050

So over 5 years it could make a big difference to what you pay.

If you didn’t even notice the door damage does it need fixing? Have you tried getting other quotes?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Just don't fix it. If it's purely visual then bun it
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How did you not notice 2k worth of damage?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%