Parents worried for me to go university in midlands Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I'm from a country side and here heres not much crime or gangs and I'm going to uni in west Midlands where there is a lot of crime and gangs and my parents are worried I'll be involved or attacked etc.

How do I make them feel better?
EleaGR
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
What Uni are you going to attend? Is tbis really that bad?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
(Original post by EleaGR)
What Uni are you going to attend? Is tbis really that bad?
From the media and all the stabbings etc they are scared and think I'll be involved
ta225
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
From the media and all the stabbings etc they are scared and think I'll be involved
Is it Warwick? I’ve heard Coventry’s got a high crime rate. If it is Warwick though it’s a campus uni so it’s not like you’ll be living in the centre of Coventry.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ta225)
Is it Warwick? I’ve heard Coventry’s got a high crime rate. If it is Warwick though it’s a campus uni so it’s not like you’ll be living in the centre of Coventry.
Birmingham city
MiaNova
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hey,

Coming from the countryside you'll soon realise it's a lot different. There's crime in every city and the West Midlands does have a lot of knife crime etc from what I've heard but so does London for example.

Either way I think you need to adjust to your university and you'll be fine. Don't go out late or travel too far since you are in a completely different place.

Wish you the best
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'd be more worried about the accent

(tbh wouldn't be too worried, usually have good/bad areas like all cities, and security arrangements in accomodations)
ta225
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Birmingham city
Is it Birmingham she doesn’t like or is it the midlands in general? I don’t think Birmingham is that dangerous but I’ve never been myself
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm from a country side and here heres not much crime or gangs and I'm going to uni in west Midlands where there is a lot of crime and gangs and my parents are worried I'll be involved or attacked etc.

How do I make them feel better?
As with any location, if you keep your wits about you, you'll most likely be fine. I assume you're a responsible person at home - just tell your parents you're a grown person now and can look after yourself.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
birmingham isnt a bad area, just make sure you're not alone at night.
J0n3zviper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This is the problem living in the country... It doesn't prepare you for the reality of city life.
EleaGR
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I understand. I'm a parent too. My daughter just finished her 1st year in Imperial and London is a city where anything can happen. On top of everything there's terrorist attacks. But you can't live your life in a cage. We, as parents need to set you free and let you live your life. You just need to follow some simple rules. eg. Don't get completely wasted when you're going out. Never walk home alone in the middle of the night. Pick your friends wisely. These are some of the things my daughter and I have discussed and agreed. I can't be sure she is following everything, but I need to trust her. After all I can't keep holding her hand any more....
I hope this helps a bit! 😊
Last edited by EleaGR; 4 days ago
Anonymous #1
Thanks so from what I've gathered: dont walk alone,

Dont walk late at night,

Pick good friends and be cautious

Thanks everyone
Anonymous #1
(Original post by J0n3zviper)
This is the problem living in the country... It doesn't prepare you for the reality of city life.
I did not have any choice as it's where my parents chose to bring me up
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ta225)
Lived in Coventry all my life 20 years only problem I have had is one robbery and a few chavs trying to act hard. It really isn't that bad as long as you are sensible like in any city and don't actively get involved in crime/ hang around the wrong people in wrong areas.
J0n3zviper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I did not have any choice as it's where my parents chose to bring me up
Aslong as you're not easily intimidated you will be fine, just don't go round looking at people to hard. West Midlands is full of roadmen who have nothing to lose.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by J0n3zviper)
Just like private school ..... It doesn't prepare you for the reality of life imo (unless you have very wealthy parents, good contacts and never have to worry about being unemployed, having no money etc)
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
And they'll have to put up with the accent too!
Rawr789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Just be smart and realistic. Also if someone blackmails, threatens you, or gives you an offer to make "quick/easy" money do not give them your passport,licence,birth certificate, bank details and do not open a bank account for them. I thought this was common sense but there's been a few people posting about being in situations like these recently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads