I have three days to pass QTS Numeracy and uni is next week... Watch

TeaAndToast22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hey guys - high level of stress here!

I failed it once last week and have wallowed in pity for the past three days (what a waste of time, I know) and the next test is soon. I am going to study tonight until then but if I fail, then I can't get onto my course and that is it. I am so stressed. I failed by 6 marks with some revision. It was a lot of fractions and decimals which I am horrendous at.

Basically, looking for emotional support.

Also - I applied late hence the late test submission! I want to get onto the course so bad (trouble finding a graduate job) and this is something I can possibly enjoy once I get into it!
Last edited by TeaAndToast22; 6 days ago
agb2000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by TeaAndToast22)

I failed it once last week and have wallowed in pity for the past three days (what a waste of time, I know) and the next test is soon. I am going to study tonight until then but if I fail, then I can't get onto my course and that is is. I am so stressed. I failed by 6 marks with some revision. It was a lot of fractions and decimals which I am horrendous at.

Also - I applied late hence the late test submission! I want to get onto the course so bad (trouble finding a graduate job) and this is something I can possibly enjoy once I get into it!
Hello!!

I am going into the second year of my teaching course and wanted to reply to let you know - you've got this!

I failed my first go last year and passed on the second - try to relax and put the "what if I fail" thoughts out of your mind! x

I found videos on youtube really helpful, I can't remember the channel names but searched skills test revision help or something along those lines!! I found spending time on the questions I was confident on helped, as it ensured I got marks for these instead of missing marks on things I knew! x I would definitely recommend giving youtube a go for help though! x

Good luck, I'm sure you'll smash it!!
TeaAndToast22
Rep:
?
(Original post by agb2000)
Hello!!

I am going into the second year of my teaching course and wanted to reply to let you know - you've got this!

I failed my first go last year and passed on the second - try to relax and put the "what if I fail" thoughts out of your mind! x

I found videos on youtube really helpful, I can't remember the channel names but searched skills test revision help or something along those lines!! I found spending time on the questions I was confident on helped, as it ensured I got marks for these instead of missing marks on things I knew! x I would definitely recommend giving youtube a go for help though! x

Good luck, I'm sure you'll smash it!!
Hi! Thank you so much for this.

Issue is - I didn't get a chance to study for it (I got my offer about a week before the test) so I was up all hours of the night studying... I am going to try my absolute best but am still terrified I will fail and what the outcome is (the bursary idea is getting me through lol)! Have searched on Youtube for vids. tbh that's my only resource, I haven't purchased books or such.

Thank you though. I just hope Friday goes well otherwise I am def. in a pickle! I am 24 soon... can't keep taking time out from education.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi! Thank you so much for this.

Issue is - I didn't get a chance to study for it (I got my offer about a week before the test) so I was up all hours of the night studying... I am going to try my absolute best but am still terrified I will fail and what the outcome is (the bursary idea is getting me through lol)! Have searched on Youtube for vids. tbh that's my only resource, I haven't purchased books or such.

Thank you though. I just hope Friday goes well otherwise I am def. in a pickle! I am 24 soon... can't keep taking time out from education.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM6zkJ-_RRU&t=9s

Have a watch of this video if you haven't already, and then really focus on practicing the skills you are weaker on.

Try to revise your times tables as well as practicing doubling and halving.

Make sure you know your percentage/decimal conversions off by heart (e.g. 1/2= 50% =0.5).

I hope this helps and good luck for Friday. It sounds like your uni is starting very early, normally you have until 31st August to meet all requirements.
TeaAndToast22
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM6zkJ-_RRU&t=9s

Have a watch of this video if you haven't already, and then really focus on practicing the skills you are weaker on.

Try to revise your times tables as well as practicing doubling and halving.

Make sure you know your percentage/decimal conversions off by heart (e.g. 1/2= 50% =0.5).

I hope this helps and good luck for Friday. It sounds like your uni is starting very early, normally you have until 31st August to meet all requirements.
Hi - thanks so much for this! Yes, Warwick starts their course on the 27th (a little bit annoying as would have liked to have had until Sept.) I will try my best but I am so nervous when it comes to actually applying it. Plus - I still need to pay and apply for DBS but I don't want to do this until I have passed this otherwise it's a load of money wasted!
mocoduckling96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

I failed it once last week and have wallowed in pity for the past three days (what a waste of time, I know) and the next test is soon. I am going to study tonight until then but if I fail, then I can't get onto my course and that is it. I am so stressed. I failed by 6 marks with some revision. It was a lot of fractions and decimals which I am horrendous at.

ello!

I feel like i'm basically in the same boat as you. If i don't pass my test before the start of september I won't be able to start my teacher training course either- and i failed my maths test too!

your second try will DEFINITELY go far more smoothly than the first attempt. now you know what to expect, how fast you have to be, what the test mostly contains and the fact that you need a little more practice to pass- which is fine because you've got time for that! watching youtube videos really helped me (especially the bloke who does math antics lol) and the practice tests you can do online which are timed the same as the real thing, such as qtsmathstutor and the ones on the GOV website. I feel like the core of the test is just multiplication and division in different forms, so if you get fast at doing these, you're sorted.

I think you'll be ok! We can do this. Now i need to stop procrastinating and get back to the excitement of maths revision. x
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi - thanks so much for this! Yes, Warwick starts their course on the 27th (a little bit annoying as would have liked to have had until Sept.) I will try my best but I am so nervous when it comes to actually applying it. Plus - I still need to pay and apply for DBS but I don't want to do this until I have passed this otherwise it's a load of money wasted!
Good luck for Friday.

If you don't pass, it might be worth speaking to Warwick about the situation- they might be willing to give you a bit of an extension given they're stating the course so early and you've had such limited time to pass!

I agree it's not worth paying for the DBS yet!
zafreenfarooque
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

I feel your pain
1st- was late so used up a turn
2nd- failed by 3 points
3rd- failed by 1 point
Then passed

After my 2nd fail, I worked really hard for 2 weeks- good advice already given on you tube videos.
But still failed- and also was really down for a few days.
When I did my 3rd attempt, I prepared but in the actually test I was so nervous in the mental arithmetic part I must have got only 3 right. I kept thinking how I need this to get on the course, what if I fail etc etc. By the time I did the written part I calmed down, but damage had been done.
3rd attempt- I resigned to just repeating it as much as I can going forward and revised only the morning of the exam.
You can do this- make sure you know %, fractions, decimals, box n whisker graphs, timestables, currency and map conversions.
Each test is different, hopefully an easy one will get you through.
Unis should be more lenient as the ruddy thing will be scrapped next year.
best of luck
TeaAndToast22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Good luck for Friday.

If you don't pass, it might be worth speaking to Warwick about the situation- they might be willing to give you a bit of an extension given they're stating the course so early and you've had such limited time to pass!

I agree it's not worth paying for the DBS yet!
Thank you... I keep attempting questions with the maths learned but can't apply it which is stressing me tf out.

I am going to e-mail Warwick and see if they can offer an extra week or so but they introduce us to the schools a fortnight earlier than most (so we don't feel overwhelmed with the kids being there) hence that start date.

Hopefully I pass Friday otherwise I give up ... I feel so stupid doing this.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thank you... I keep attempting questions with the maths learned but can't apply it which is stressing me tf out.

I am going to e-mail Warwick and see if they can offer an extra week or so but they introduce us to the schools a fortnight earlier than most (so we don't feel overwhelmed with the kids being there) hence that start date.

Hopefully I pass Friday otherwise I give up ... I feel so stupid doing this.
Don't feel stupid, it's a really stressful time for you and that's probably making things harder.

Definitely talk to Warwick, they have made you an offer so won't want to loose you and may be able to help.
TeaAndToast22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hi guys - so a little update: I failed by four marks
I felt it went very well but guessed a couple and I knew I got some wrong.

Uni have said they will extend the deadline right until our start date (26th) so I have another booked for next week Weds.

Wish me luck guys!
Claudette
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

Hey there, you are still so very young please don’t worry! I’m 40 next year 😂
Took me 3 times to pass my numeracy test, I basically practised and practised constantly, good luck with the next test and revise your butt off!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
16.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (29)
14.22%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (43)
21.08%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (75)
36.76%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (11)
5.39%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise