The Student Room Group

Uni Courses that require maths

I am really interested in maths and I was Just wondering if anyone knew any courses that involve math. I don't want to do a math only degree. Is theoretical physics a good course that involves maths? and what are the requirements like? Is there any sport courses that involve maths?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
mechanical engineering has quite alot of math
Reply 2
Any engineering course will be math heavy (especially electrical or mechanical). Physics has more maths than engineering, (theoretical physics even more so, but I believe this is quite statistic heavy whereas physics is more pure and mechanics)
Original post by rajbrown
I am really interested in maths and I was Just wondering if anyone knew any courses that involve math. I don't want to do a math only degree. Is theoretical physics a good course that involves maths? and what are the requirements like? Is there any sport courses that involve maths?

Pure maths or just using mathematics in general.

Obviously Math, statistics.

More applied applications:
Physics, engineering, CompSci, Economics, accounting
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Pure maths or just using mathematics in general.

Obviously Math, statistics.

More applied applications:
Physics, engineering, CompSci, Economics, accounting

is actuarial science any good?
is actuarial science any good?

Ive always thought it would be incredibly dry, I think it would be boring.

My impression is actuarys make decent money which is what draws people in rather than the subject, i don't know that much about it tho
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
Ive always thought it would be incredibly dry, I think it would be boring.

My impression is actuarys make decent money which is what draws people in rather than the subject, i don't know that much about it tho

even the name of it sounds boring ahah
Comp sci, engineering, physics
Reply 8
Data Science is a fairly new degree at undergrad level and effectively combines Maths, Statistics and Computer Science.

I would say research all the suggestions and go for (a) something you are good at, (b) something you enjoy and (c) something that will lead into a job that you want to do.

Definitely consider MORSE at Warwick.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nutz99
Data Science is a fairly new degree at undergrad level and effectively combines Maths, Statistics and Computer Science.

I've always wondered if data science was just a re-branding of statistics... :lol:
Reply 11
Original post by Quick-use
I've always wondered if data science was just a re-branding of statistics... :lol:

Statistics, a few algorithms, bit of programming and some data mining. Definitely not for people who don't get on with statistics though.

But MORSE is a good all round degree to get yourself into the workplace.
Reply 12
Original post by Quick-use
Definitely consider MORSE at Warwick.

Is Warwick the only place to do it?
Is Warwick the only place to do it?

Other universities might offer it but as far as I know it's the best place for that degree.

Quick Reply

Latest