qazwsxedc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello i'd like to ask a quick polar question those of you who are still awake at this untimely hour,

Ive got a polar graph attached with which we form a triangle and an extra sector bit in the range (forget about this one, im ok with it)

As to the triangle, how would i find its area? I know at P r=\frac{a}{\sqrt 2} and \theta = \frac{\pi}{6} .

Thank you,
Attached files
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
SOH CAH TOA to find the lengths of the other sides.
qazwsxedc
Rep:
?
(Original post by yusufu)
SOH CAH TOA to find the lengths of the other sides.
Ive got the angle (30 degrees) but i need at least one side which i just cant seem to deduce,
any ideas?
rkd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by qazwsxedc)
Ive got the angle (30 degrees) but i need at least one side which i just cant seem to deduce,
any ideas?
The hypotenuse is r.
pisces_abhi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Remember the formula for area under a polar graph: Area = \displaystyle\int^{\theta_2}_{\t  heta_1}\frac{1}{2}r^2d\theta
qazwsxedc
Rep:
?
(Original post by rkd)
The hypotenuse is r.
Sorry, but how did you come to that conclusion if you can???
qazwsxedc
Rep:
?
(Original post by pisces_abhi)
Remember the formula for area under a polar graph: Area = \displaystyle\int^{\theta_2}_{\t  heta_1}\frac{1}{2}r^2d\theta
I've already correctly used that formula for a sector which forms part of the triangle, but its just the triangle which is getting on my nerves at the moment,
Which values of soh cah toa should i use (where angle is 30 degrees)?
pisces_abhi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ohk yeah the hypotenuse is r and you also have an angle, so find the other sides via trig.
rkd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by qazwsxedc)
Sorry, but how did you come to that conclusion if you can???
Well, surely it follows from the idea of polar co-ordinates and the fact you have a triangle? At P, r =a/sqrt 2 and theta = pi/6, so OP is of length a/sqrt 2 and pi/6 radians above the horizontal axis. If the shaded area is a triangle, then the hypotenuse is the straight line joining O and P - which, as just stated, is of length a/sqrt 2.

Edit: Of course, if it isn't given that the shaded region is a triangle (and you're just assuming that from the diagram), the method is more complicated - use x = rcos theta and y = rsin theta to find the x and y co-ordinates of P, find the area of the rectangle from that, then find the area under the polar curve with the formula from a few posts above, and take the one from the other to get the shaded region's area.
qazwsxedc
Rep:
?
(Original post by rkd)
The hypotenuse is r.
(Original post by pisces_abhi)
Ohk yeah the hypotenuse is r and you also have an angle, so find the other sides via trig.
:beer: :beer: :beer:

YES! It works, thanks for the lovely help, it'll probably come in a treat tommorrow knowing that Edexcel is in a grumpy mood this summer,

thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
4.17%
They might tell the bully (5)
10.42%
I don't think they'd understand (9)
18.75%
It might lead to more bullying (17)
35.42%
There's nothing they could do (15)
31.25%

Watched Threads