Would a single Advanced Higher look bad? Watch

gazebos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've recently finished my Highers, having achieved As in English, Maths, Chemistry, Bio, and Modern Studies. For sixth year, I intended to take Advanced English and Biology, and Higher Politics and Business. However, after taking Bio for around a month before the summer, I've found it unpleasant and difficult, and am aware that being **** at labwork will hinder my assignment and general ability in the class. So, I've dropped it and will now be taking Advanced English, alongside Higher Politics/Business and History (A at Nat 5, 2 years prior). I'm not interested in taking dentistry, medicine or anything science related at uni, but am still concerned that this lack of an additional Advanced will render my application less competitive, which might prove problematic. I would be applying to glasgow/Strathclyde/St Andrews if this is impacts the matter, but I'm uncertain of the actual course x
Last edited by gazebos; 1 week ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gazebos)
I've recently finished my Highers having achieved As in English, Maths, Chemistry, Bio, and Modern Studies. For sixth year, I intended to take Advanced English and Biology, and Higher Politics and Business. However, after taking Bio for around a month before the summer, I've found it unpleasant and difficult, and am aware that being **** at labwork will hinder my assignment and general ability in the class. So, I've dropped it and will now be taking Advanced English, alongside Higher Politics/Business and History (A at Nat 5, 2 years prior). I'm not interested in taking dentistry, medicine or anything science related at uni, but am still concerned that this lack of an additional Advanced will render my application less competitive, which might prove problematic. I would be applying to glasgow/Strathclyde/St Andrews if this is impacts the matter, but I'm uncertain of the actual course x
Not at all. Many students do this and to be honest, you literally have the grades necessary for every single course at the universities that you've mentioned.

Would you consider doing Higher rmps as well? I seem to recommend this to everyone but it really is extremely interesting (one of the best subjects I did while at school) and an incredibly easy A (or B).

As an aside, if you wanted to, you could crash AH History. I think it's definitely doable even if you didn't do Higher. But, if you'd rather do Higher (I wouldn't blame you), then go for it.
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.34%
Excited (161)
9.24%
Worried (308)
17.68%
Terrified (385)
22.1%
Meh (180)
10.33%
Confused (37)
2.12%